[APP] Weather Station 2.1.0.5

Search This thread

jsstp24n5

Apr 7, 2013
CT
The Galaxy S4 and Note 3 are the only Android devices right now with ambient temperature and humidity sensors. This Weather Station app I developed (free and with no ads) utilizes these sensors and additional ones to the full delight of amateur and pro meteorologists:

Weather Station

Donate

v2.1.0.5:
-Fix for pre Android 4.4 devices' widgets not updating automatically with Update On Press enabled
v2.1.0.4:
-Fix for widget indicators always showing no change
v2.1.0.3:
-Fix for Android 4.4+ intermittent temperature issues
v2.1.0.2:
-Small bug fixes
v2.1.0.1:
-Fix for abs. humidity, dew point, mixing ratio, and heat index not updating on widgets and graphs
v2.1.0:
-General battery use improvements
-General UI improvements
-Printing support for Android 4.4+
-Bug fixes
v2.0.2:
-added Density Altitude
-bug fixes
-added Ukrainian translation
v2.0.1.1:
-bug fixes
-updated Portuguese translation
v2.0.1:
-nicer y-axis graph labels formatting
-larger default font size for lockscreen widgets
-can now specify different font size for lockscreen widgets
-added Finnish translation; completed Russian & Spanish
v2.0.0:
-Completely new code architecture (for this reason you will have to uninstall and reboot)
-Updated appearance for app and widgets
-Mixing Ratio, Heat Index, Illuminance, |Magnetic Field|, Barometric and GPS Altitude added
-Widgets can now have multiple readings, update on tap, and no indicators
-New unit choices for Mixing Ratio and Elevation/Altitude
-Ability to clear saved background readings
-Nicer y-tick intervals on graphs
-Export multiple readings simultaneously

----------

String resources from this app are attached for translation only. Do not assume you can use them in your own app without talking to me. If you want to use the strings in a revenue generating app please pm or email me beforehand for permission.

----------

Translating strings and arrays in res.zip:

All who help with translations will be acknowledged in the app. The res/values directory contains the files strings_localizable.xml and arrays_localizable.xml with the English (US) words and phrases that would need to translated. As an example here is how the translation to Brazilian Portuguese worked:

Step 1) Copy the strings_localizable.xml and arrays_localizable.xml files from res/values to another location.

Step 2) Complete the translation of the words and phrases inside the xml tags.

Example 1:

<string name="app_name">Weather Station</string>

becomes

<string name="app_name">Estação Meteorológica</string>

Example 2:

<string-array name="pref_notifications_when_entries">
<item>Rising</item>
<item>Falling</item>
</string-array>

becomes

<item>Subindo</item>
<item>Caindo</item>
</string-array>

Step 3) The translated files are placed into a new directory inside the res directory called values-pt (or values-pt-rBR). I can take care of this last step I just need to know what language it is and if it is limited to a regional dialect.

Attachments

• res.zip
    46.7 KB · Views: 706
Last edited:

jsstp24n5

Apr 7, 2013
CT
why always with the crappy "auto start" on phone boot?

As I explain in the Google Play listing, the auto start permission is to run a very short service to re-set the alarm so background readings can be taken. The service only runs for a split second and then kills itself. If you disable background readings the service won't run on restart.

Reactions: termit901

coolpepp

Sep 15, 2012
I am very interested in knowing how accurate the temperate sensor is working on the S4. Can someone test this out with a dedicated temperature reader and tell me how accurate it is or how off it is in Fahrenheit? Thanks.

Reactions: sub1n

prodigiez

Nov 8, 2008
if u can add a temp warning notification , then it will be perfect...

like i am able to set it to warn if the temp goes over xx degree..

Reactions: jsstp24n5

zige

May 24, 2012
Helsinki
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Oh thanks mate! I got these readings, first is in my home and second is from outside. That second is littlebit weird because internet shows that there is only +4 celsius.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-30-06-19-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-30-06-19-22.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,906
  • Screenshot_2013-04-30-06-25-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-04-30-06-25-29.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,755

jsstp24n5

Apr 7, 2013
CT
Oh thanks mate! I got these readings, first is in my home and second is from outside. That second is littlebit weird because internet shows that there is only +4 celsius.

How long were you outside for? Perhaps the phone needed to stay outside longer in order to read the temperature correctly (away from other heat sources like yourself or the sun)?? Or worst case scenario is that the S4 temp sensor is not that accurate (we would need to find some specs on the sensors that Samsung is using).

Last edited:

Rar9

Feb 6, 2008
Krefeld
Adjust Temperature

Is there any way to calibrate the temp sensor.?

Currently most readying are way higher than actual readings

zaki67

Sep 12, 2005
Amman
I spent half an hour trying to find out why the thank you button is not available for me but couldn't find out why.
Thank You.Vry nice app.

Reactions: raidenuk

zige

May 24, 2012
Helsinki
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
How long were you outside for? Perhaps the phone needed to stay outside longer in order to read the temperature correctly (away from other heat sources like yourself or the sun)?? Or worst case scenario is that the S4 temp sensor is not that accurate (we would need to find some specs on the sensors that Samsung is using).

About 10minutes. Maybe i need to try later, but usually i'm outside only 5-10minutes when i walk to train station or to grocery shop.

jsstp24n5

Apr 7, 2013
CT
Is there any way to calibrate the temp sensor.?

Currently most readying are way higher than actual readings

This was debated by me when I was making the app and I decided not to include it (but may put it in a future release if it is greatly demanded). The logic is that the temperature sensors are supposed to be calibrated to high accuracy at the factory and should not lose accuracy over time. Thus the "actual reading" you are referring to IS the actual reading that the thermometer on the phone is reporting. If it is higher than another thermometer nearby, it is higher for a reason (probably because of your body temperature heating the sensor, or the sun, or some other reason). The question is why fudge that?

Last edited:

creed

Feb 28, 2006
I've noticed that the temperature on the S4 is always higher. The reason is probably that the S4 is a heat source in itself! Unless the temperature sensor is incredibly well insulated from the rest of the phone then it will always be affected. I might test this and take a reading but only after having left the phone off for some time like 30 minutes (to let it cool sufficiently) then switch it on and take the reading before too much heat has built up in the device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Galaxy S4 and Note 3 are the only Android devices right now with ambient temperature and humidity sensors. This Weather Station app I developed (free and with no ads) utilizes these sensors and additional ones to the full delight of amateur and pro meteorologists:

Weather Station

Donate

v2.1.0.5:
    -Fix for pre Android 4.4 devices' widgets not updating automatically with Update On Press enabled
    v2.1.0.4:
    -Fix for widget indicators always showing no change
    v2.1.0.3:
    -Fix for Android 4.4+ intermittent temperature issues
    v2.1.0.2:
    -Small bug fixes
    v2.1.0.1:
    -Fix for abs. humidity, dew point, mixing ratio, and heat index not updating on widgets and graphs
    v2.1.0:
    -General battery use improvements
    -General UI improvements
    -Printing support for Android 4.4+
    -Bug fixes
    v2.0.2:
    -added Density Altitude
    -bug fixes
    -added Ukrainian translation
    v2.0.1.1:
    -bug fixes
    -updated Portuguese translation
    v2.0.1:
    -nicer y-axis graph labels formatting
    -larger default font size for lockscreen widgets
    -can now specify different font size for lockscreen widgets
    -added Finnish translation; completed Russian & Spanish
    v2.0.0:
    -Completely new code architecture (for this reason you will have to uninstall and reboot)
    -Updated appearance for app and widgets
    -Mixing Ratio, Heat Index, Illuminance, |Magnetic Field|, Barometric and GPS Altitude added
    -Widgets can now have multiple readings, update on tap, and no indicators
    -New unit choices for Mixing Ratio and Elevation/Altitude
    -Ability to clear saved background readings
    -Nicer y-tick intervals on graphs
    -Export multiple readings simultaneously

----------

String resources from this app are attached for translation only. Do not assume you can use them in your own app without talking to me. If you want to use the strings in a revenue generating app please pm or email me beforehand for permission.

----------

Translating strings and arrays in res.zip:

All who help with translations will be acknowledged in the app. The res/values directory contains the files strings_localizable.xml and arrays_localizable.xml with the English (US) words and phrases that would need to translated. As an example here is how the translation to Brazilian Portuguese worked:

Step 1) Copy the strings_localizable.xml and arrays_localizable.xml files from res/values to another location.

Step 2) Complete the translation of the words and phrases inside the xml tags.

Example 1:

<string name="app_name">Weather Station</string>

becomes

<string name="app_name">Estação Meteorológica</string>

Example 2:

<item>Rising</item>
    <item>Falling</item>
    </string-array>

becomes

<item>Subindo</item>
    <item>Caindo</item>
    </string-array>

Step 3) The translated files are placed into a new directory inside the res directory called values-pt (or values-pt-rBR). I can take care of this last step I just need to know what language it is and if it is limited to a regional dialect.
    Version 2 is finally done and has been released. Because it is a completely new code architecture, it will require an uninstall and reboot. It has many new requested features and other new stuff, etc. See the OP for details.
    Dude, read the ops first sentence...

Sent from my SGSIII
    Works in other devices?

The pressure will work on any device that has a barometer (e.g. Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, etc). The temp and humidity will only work on a Galaxy S4 b/c it is the only device right now with a ambient thermometer and hygrometer.
    Here is an update to the portuguese translation.