[ROOT][apk]{TowelRoot}[4.4.2] Does not trip KNOX and does not touch bootloader

Search This thread

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
Hi.

Geohot released a rooting method for most android phones, and it uses an apk to obtain root (dead simple too, push one button, no need for other tools and workarounds). It does not touch KNOX or the BOOT-LOADER so your warranty should be fine.

You can get it from the official website, or from the XDA thread.

I ran it on my n9005 - Europe - unlocked phone.
I am on official 4.4.2 N9005OXXENB1
Kernel 3.4.0-636608 (12.02.2014)

Steps taken by me (21.06.2014):​

1. Download the tr.apk
2. Turn off re-lock and app security.
3. Run the tr.apk, hit make it rain.
4. Install SU from Playstore, update it, reboot phone.
5. Check root

5.b. Success!

:good:​

NOTES & ISSUES:

1. After rooting, I am unable to do a full device encryption. (if you unroot it works properly)​

Workaround for issue nr. 1: Do a full unroot, reboot, make sure you have TowelRoot installed, but do not root just yet, encrypt the phone, do a reboot, launch TowelRoot, root, and you are good to go.
To decrypt your phone, you will need to unroot, then reboot, and proceed with the decryption process.​

2. On ROM 4.4.2 official n9005xxuend3 with kernel 3.4.0-1168347dpi@SWDD5623 #1 MON APR 14 17:32:48 KST 2014, using TowelRoot, results in System Status: Custom

Possible fix for issue nr. 2:

• Enter BOOT-LOADER (from power off, power on while pressing volume up + home) and do a Cache Wipe

3. It seems TowelRoot, does not work on n9000. SOURCE IS HERE

Attachments

• root-check.png
    root-check.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 20,485
  • SuperSU.png
    SuperSU.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 18,019
Last edited:

Lortiz71

Dec 23, 2013
Madrid
Good job, even though I did it via Odin. It said it was rooted, and titanium kept saying that needed to be rooted. Root check app said it was rooted. I wanted to be pretty sure... Therefore Odin.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

AndrOmega

Apr 2, 2014
București
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Hi.

Geohot released a rooting method for most android phones, and it uses an apk to obtain root (dead simple too, push one button, no need for other tools and workarounds). It does not touch KNOX or the BOOT-LOADER so your warranty should be fine.

Steps taken by me (21.06.2014):

1. Download the tr.apk
5. Check root

5.b. Success!
i bet it shows moddified device and no ota updates for you anymore. i'm right or what?

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
Good job, even though I did it via Odin. It said it was rooted, and titanium kept saying that needed to be rooted. Root check app said it was rooted. I wanted to be pretty sure... Therefore Odin.

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

For me it works without issues. I also mounted the storage in write mode and managed to modify system files.

What root did you use with odin? Did it trip KNOX or did it mess with the boot-loader? And on what ROM wore you?

cybernet707

Jun 22, 2014
sim unlock

For me it works without issues. I also mounted the storage in write mode and managed to modify system files.

What root did you use with odin? Did it trip KNOX or did it mess with the boot-loader? And on what ROM wore you?

Hi im wanting to sim unlock my uk voxafone galaxy note 3 n9005 to uze different sim. Can i root my fone with this towelroot and then use region away and will it sim unlock my fone. And then can i unroot and will the fone be still sim unlocked thanks in advance

Aimara

Jun 17, 2012
just to check the tr.apk link is just weird fonts link , anyone have the apk file ? must donate on official website to get it ?

taxsalonica

May 12, 2012
:cool::cool:
Hi.

Kernel 3.4.0-636608 (12.02.2014)

Steps taken by me (21.06.2014):

1. Download the tr.apk
5. Check root

5.b. Success!
Great!! Nice guide.It work for me with this kernel. At list a simple root to work again my root apps.
Question? l am able to recieve official update anymore even via kies or ota?

Στάλθηκε από το SM-N9005 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
just to check the tr.apk link is just weird fonts link , anyone have the apk file ? must donate on official website to get it ?

The apk is a free download. You have the links to the official site in the first post. On the official page, click the lambda sign to download the apk. I also provided a direct download link @ step 1.

Reactions: Aimara

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
Hi im wanting to sim unlock my uk voxafone galaxy note 3 n9005 to uze different sim. Can i root my fone with this towelroot and then use region away and will it sim unlock my fone. And then can i unroot and will the fone be still sim unlocked thanks in advance

You should be able to root, however I can't say if you will be able to sim unlock your note. As far as I know, region lock and and sim lock are two distinct forms of locking.

What this means for you is, if your note is region locked, rooting and using the region lock away will work. However if your phone is sim locked, the region lock away can't help you unlock it. (root should still work).

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
:cool::cool:
Great!! Nice guide.It work for me with this kernel. At list a simple root to work again my root apps.
Question? l am able to recieve official update anymore even via kies or ota?

As long as you do not modify your boot-loader and your kernel or rom for that matter, you should receive all the over the air updates, even in kies.

So if you are on official ROM and you simply use TowelRoot, you will receive the OTA udates.

To receive ota updates, samsung must belive your phone is untouched. Simply rooting via the TowelRoot, won't affect you.

You can enter downloader mode (hold volume down + home button at power on) and as long as it lists System status: Official and Current binary: official, you can use the ota updates.

Last edited:

taxsalonica

May 12, 2012
I am with official Rom with a simple root with TowelRoot. Thank you!

TheMasterR

Dec 13, 2008
Oradea
Can anyone confirm if device encryption can still be used after root ?

For my device, after root, Full device encryption does not work.
I just tried it.

LE:

After doing a full unroot, device encryption started.

(I will factory reset, root and try again. If it will work, I will update the thread.)

LE2:

Ok, so I solved the issue, by unrooting my device, installing TowelRoot but not rooting, encrypting my phone, and after encryption is complete, I just used TowelRoot to root. Everything seems to work just fine.

Attachments

• encrypting.jpg
    encrypting.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 964
Last edited:
Reactions: nlatifolia

Aimara

Jun 17, 2012
awww the supersu program seem to stuck at the disabling knox ... , can i just shut it off ?

Top Liked Posts