Terminal Emulator - ctrl-c

Search This thread

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
Seriously. It sounds like a n00b question until you actually try to type a CTRL-C on the Vibrant.

Ideas? Am I missing something?

Maybe it is a n00b question?

drewtang

Jun 29, 2010
Boise
I have noticed (from other phones I've used in the past), that if you press menu while in the emulator it will give you a list of commands. I havent ben able to verify this on my Vibrant yetm, since i haven't rooted yet. But I hope that helps...

bdjnk

Jul 15, 2010
Not a question with an easy answer. I am using the Full Keyboard app, but I really don't like it. The best would be if the terminal itself would implement an easy way to input keys like ctrl alt and escape.

There is a bug filed with connectbot, which is the terminal emulator I use, and I have added my voice to the clamor for a solution, but who knows when that will happen. If you are an android developer you might give the source of your terminal a hack and whip up a patch...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

kot_as_kot

Nov 1, 2004
How can FN keys be emulated in softkeyboard?

What about Fn keys?

I use SSH to x servers and used to mc a lot. Swype is pretty pointless there even with dedicated directional keys.

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
It looks like the makers of "terminal emulator" fixed the swype/backspace issues, but have yet to fix the special characters issues.

It seems like a phone that does not have a camera button *and* does not have a trackball is not considered in a bunch of apps. Terminal Emulator and Crystallight are two shining examples.

kdriedger

Sep 23, 2010
On my terminal emulator the Menu>>Special Keys button told me to press the down volume button and the 'c' key when the soft keyboard was displayed.

mazak23

Oct 21, 2010
it works !

But how to get last command used or prompt ?
I belive you are using this app:
github.com/jackpal/Android-Terminal-Emulator
(cannot add as link...grrr)

Not many people using Terminal inside Android I recon, but I will, sometimes I'm using adb as well.

Any better Terminal you have?
I successfully install MC but cannot run in this terminal:
"Error opening terminal : xterm"

Last edited:

jonstrong

Jan 20, 2012
www.jonathanrstrong.com
As noted above -- just check the Help screen for whatever terminal emulator you're using and see what hardware keys/combinations are mapped to the CTRL characters. As with the others just above, the emulator I'm using has Vol-Dn + [letter] mapped to CTRL-[letter], so Vol-dn and C = CTRL-C. Just tried it out -- started up Top in the emulator, and this killed it perfectly.

subo.dh

Nov 11, 2014
Xiaomi Poco F1
No effect after pressing volume up + w for up arrow -- terminal emulator from jackpal dude, gboard keyboard. Needs to install hacker keyboard which works, separately.
Connectbot works fine in this scenario although I am using this one due to it's light size and it is recommended by many.

linuxN00b2L33t

Sep 16, 2022
Volume down + C was not working for me (with Gboard) till I saw someone suggest a different keyboard. Volume down + C works fine using Samsung keyboard.

Top Liked Posts