Post Reply Email Thread
1st December 2012, 12:11 PM |#101  
Flag Winchester
Thanks Meter: 263

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1zturbe3d

so i used this method and the kindle rebooted and everything.the only question i have is should superuser be installed? or how do i know if its truly rooted?

Yes superuser should be installed. If it is not then it is possible it did not work. But try installing superuser.apk: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4l...0dXbXFEV0h2bk0
There are a number of ways to check root access. Without download ES File Explorer, go into the settings and there should be a root access setting, if you are can enable those options then you are rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to onemeila For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift onemeila Ad-Free

3rd December 2012, 01:50 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Problems rooting.
Still having some trouble with root. (Windows 8, KFHD7, latest firmware)

Followed the instructions in the OP. Had to install android SDK to get drivers installed. ADB confirmed, device recognized, serial number returned. Qmenu root proceeded without a hitch, said "successful" at end, no error messages. I now have Superuser in my app drawer. Su is seen in my /system/xbin.

Unfortunately, I don't have root. ES explorer gives me a "superuser permission denied" message whenever I try the root checkbox, and Root Checker states that I am not successfully rooted.

I have tried pushing the statements line by line in ADB. Again, no error messages, and at the "adb install superuser.apk" it gives me the "already installed" message.

What should I try next?

Alan
3rd December 2012, 11:27 PM |#103  
Flag Dallas TX
Thanks Meter: 21

More
I find this whole thread absolutely, amazingly, irresponsible!
As an owner of a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 looking for solutions. I am amazed at the poor way this thread has been conducted; not by the users, but the so called "solution merchants" I've been in the computer industry, (Engineering) since we first saw the Epson QX-10 and the original IBM two floppy disk PC running on DOS 1.1. XDA-developers and people like Hashcode, Vashypooh, Gedemis, twa_priv, Paulobrian, pokey9000 (to name just the ones who's code made my life easier), know how to present a
Utility, routine, code, Recovery, ROM, Kernel, in a concise manner that most everyone understands. These people are masters at this and it shows in their threads. This entire thread is a perfect example of what NOT to do. Unfortunately there are more people on this site sweating long hours into the night over code that may or may not work on their new Amazon Kindle Fire XXX Just because they threw caution to the wind, relied on the reputation of XDA Developers and came up empty.

If you are going to develop a solution for someone learn from some of the developers I have included here. Read their posts and understand what they are doing to H E L P the noobie, or the one who knows just enough to be very very dangerous. Take a moment and go over to Vashypooh thread: "
Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12)" Look at the elegantly simple way he thought out, documented, and presented his process.

NOW can we get rid of the C#@% on this thread and give these people something they can use without answering 10 pages of "it doesn't work?

F@@dog
The Following User Says Thank You to F@@dog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift F@@dog Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 03:51 AM |#104  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Does this work for today's 7.2.2 update?
5th December 2012, 08:56 PM |#105  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoolster

Does this work for today's 7.2.2 update?

It does NOT work for the 7.2.2 update.

To avoid this update from installing you can download and install "droidwall". It is a firewall app that will ONLY allow "whitelisted" apps that you specify to access the internet.

I removed all "Amazon/Kindle" stuff aside from the obvious ones. SO far so good no updates have prompted or installed.

My situation:
Work in IT office, boss got all of us Kindle Fire HD's at our Christmas party. I rooted and hacked all of Kindle's for co-workers. One coworker brought his to me and said his stuff stopped working. I noticed immediately that it had updated to 7.2.2

This root method no longer works to root the device, even after restoring to factory it retained the 7.2.2 update and failed rooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerr1985 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gerr1985 Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 09:10 PM |#106  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerr1985

To avoid this update from installing you can download and install "droidwall". It is a firewall app that will ONLY allow "whitelisted" apps that you specify to access the internet.

I removed all "Amazon/Kindle" stuff aside from the obvious ones. SO far so good no updates have prompted or installed.

My situation:
Work in IT office, boss got all of us Kindle Fire HD's at our Christmas party. I rooted and hacked all of Kindle's for co-workers. One coworker brought his to me and said his stuff stopped working. I noticed immediately that it had updated to 7.2.2

This root method no longer works to root the device, even after restoring to factory it retained the 7.2.2 update and failed rooting.

Damn! I knew this update was coming. Some people in my thread reported still having root after the update? I guess I'll restore the system.img and prepare to sell it. I was going to get a Nexus 10 anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDoolster For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheDoolster Ad-Free
5th December 2012, 09:24 PM |#107  
Flag Chicago

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoolster

Damn! I knew this update was coming. Some people in my thread reported still having root after the update? I guess I'll restore the system.img and prepare to sell it. I was going to get a Nexus 10 anyway.

Sorry man, I'm sure it'll get figured out before too long... but if you're already going for Nexus 10 then who care eh!?
They are already working on CM10 for Kindle Fire HD and hacking the bootloader isn't too far off. Still a new device so patience is key
5th December 2012, 11:25 PM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerr1985

My situation:

hi, can you give us a list of all removable apps, incase if we recover back to 7.2.1 and delete them without the future updates, that would be great for all of us!!
6th December 2012, 04:01 AM |#109  
Flag Chicago

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6r2006

hi, can you give us a list of all removable apps, incase if we recover back to 7.2.1 and delete them without the future updates, that would be great for all of us!!

Play Store Link for DroidWall:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2FsbC5mcmVlIl0.

I'll do you one better and show a screenshot. I find it much much easier to put in the "blacklist mode" and just pick most of the amazon ones. I think I got it, but time will tell. Feel free to tweak your own if you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gerr1985 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gerr1985 Ad-Free
6th December 2012, 04:32 AM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 12

Donate to Me
More
Update ypur kindle is always grayed out unless you have downloaded the update yourself. I will stick to renaming otacerts since the ones who did reported no update so far.. Also did what ypu told just to be sure

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium
6th December 2012, 04:49 AM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I bought two KF2s for my daughters for Christmas. The first one arrived yesterday. Root when smoothly using the manual method. The second arrived today, and it just received the update to 10.2.3 before I had a chance to root it. I haven't attempted root the second one, but now I'm a little nervous to do it. Are we in the same boat as those on 7.2.2?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)