[ROM]UPDATE[HC 3.2.1][A501] Moscow's Alexandra III Rev 1.1 [27-01-12]

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Moscow Desire's Android 3.2.1 Alexandra III Ver 1.1 ROM OC/UV Kernel

A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL

Note: This is for the Acer A501, and not the A500. 500 users can run this, but you will need to modify the build.prop file to reflect Wifi-only. (ro.carrier=wifi-only). You can add this line near the end of build.prop. Folder System/ You can do this on your pc, before you install.

I won't fill this page with all types of fancy colors on every line, or huge pictures, or "ultra" huge fonts. You people are not little kids. So no need to use 50 different colors. I'll just tell you like it is (and I'll do it in 3 colors or less)

Added Installation Changes Update

Pure HC 3.2.1

I'll tell what I noticed, and between 3.2 and 3.2.1, it's this.....

Improved Performance in the Apps Drawer. Almost "0" lag time. Increased screen sensitivity. (compared to stock 3.2)

This has been tested on my Tablet with no problems so far, as with other testers. All stock apps, and games, work as advertised.

Why do you want to use this Rom? Well, not a lot out there for the 501, and seems nobody wants to do anything about it. Too focused on the a500 or ICS.
Not to mention it's 3.2.1, And it's a "factory released a501 rom", and I have stripped most of the memory and battery eating pigs out of it.

The only thing left running in Processes after install, is;

Google Services
Digital Clock (people want their alarm clock)
Android Keyboard

This is not a "system dump". 100% pure Acer Release.

Yes, there are a couple of 501 roms. But other than 1 or 2 that I know is pure 501 HC 3.2, I ask, do you want to use a 500 rom that was modified to be a 501? Do you wish your display to freeze when you're on 3g because of a mismatched kernel? Do you want a system dumped rom?

Or would you rather have a factory delivered Rom?

We have tested this Rom, and it holds true to as much stock as possible. Addition of a custom kernel, which has been tested, allows a ratio of clock speed vs battery life. Yes, there is 1 other kernel to use, but unfortunately, I cannot post this rom using it.

For NTFS External drive support, download Drive Mount from the market (tested and works) Fat32 support is normal without Drive Mount.

For Ad-hoc support, I think by now, anybody who needs it, knows where to get it.

If you cannot get GPS for some reason, you can try the 1st link in the forum. Lately, seems nobody needs this anymore since 3.2 release.

This release based on Acer_A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL. RichardTrip kernel based on longer battery life with OC speed with undervoltage. Min, 216, Max 1646.

For Credits, I would like to thank:
KJY2010- As usual for his helpful advice and great insight, and for being my friend.
RichardTrip - Kernel (src lnk on his page)
JaeKar99- Boot animation. (and NO, I will not change it) you can though.

Special thanks to these people for testing, to make sure I didn't mess things up, and this is in NO order;

Ordio
Anthrax132
Erik_T

Thanks for checking things for me, and tolerating some slow download times ;)

Core 3.2.1 is unmodified, except for the Framework-res,for default wallpaper. All core files are 100% Acer.

Languages Supported
Cestina
Dansk
Deutsch
English
Espanol
Francais
Italiano
Nederlands
Norsk Bokmal
Polski
Portugues
Suomi
Svenska
Russian
Arabic (not sure which dialect)

What works.... everything that is included.What doesn't work, nothing that I can see.

What's removed:

Just about everything Acer. And I mean it.
All Acer games.
All the useless Acer things that may be a process.

Apps Installed:
Other than the usual SU and Busybox...
Asus Weather
AdFree (update your host files)
Bluetooth File Transfer
CPU Master Free
Root Explorer (free)
Hackers Keyboard
MX Video Player w/codecs
Terminal
SDrescan
Card games (I love these things when I'm bored)

Acer apps moved to Data for easy removal
Acer Media
Acer Aupeo
File Manager HD
Kobo
LumiRead
Google Voice
TegraZone Games
Zinio Reader
Game Loft store
3D Photo Browser
(note that 3D Photo Browser is a useless app, but I left it in Data in case somebody thinks it's cool. Note that after you run it, it resides in system memory until you remove the app or kill the process.)

Note: I removed the Acer Media Player(s) as they stayed in memory as a process after you ended the program, and are memory pigs. I would advise to use WinAmp from the Android Market to play audio files, or whatever audio player you wish.

All Photos were taken after initial install.

GPS taken next to window (not open).

AnTuTu Benchmark was taken after initial Install while on Internal 3g.

Installation:

For Thor's CWM
1. Wipe User Data
2. Wipe Cache
3. Wipe DalviK
4. Wipe Battery Stats

Select Go Back, Goto Mounts and Storage

1. Format System
2. Format Cache
3. Format Dalvik
4. Format Flexrom (optional, depending on version, you may not need to do this)

Select Go Back and select Install from Zip File

Select Alexandra III Rev 1.1.zip

For RA Recovery

UPDATE NOTE: Version 3.14 does not have the option to Format Flexrom. This is what caused the animation loop on first flashing. I advise to update to version 3.15

(3.14)
Wipe;
Data/Factory Reset
Data
Cache
Android.secure
Dalvik

(3.15) This should take care of animation loop
Wipe;
Data/Factory Reset
Dalvik
System

NOTE: you may get an Offset error xxxx. Ignore it. Seems common these days. After installation is complete, Go Back, and Reboot system.

If you get stuck at the Boot-Animation, just reboot to recovery, wipe "data, dalvik, system and cache" then Install again. It seems Acer, changed some things for the 3.2.1 501 install. You do not need to format anything.

You'll see a small "flash" during the Acer Logo. This is normal, as it is the custom kernel loading. Also, when running for the first time, you will get an "OK" prompt as the "Acer" (cough cough) APKinstaller finishes.

The Default Language is Poliski (Polish) so you can change it in the beginning. No, I am not going to change it, as it's a TMPL, and I have no idea which country you are from.

For Overclocking, use CpuMaster and set your CPU speed. 1504 is what I run the most. Set your governor to "on demand" or "Interactive" for longer battery life. Set to "Apply at Boot". If you don't like CPUMaster, then you are free to uninstall it, and Use SetCpu or PimpMyCpu.

Disclaimer:

You flash this Rom at your own risk. If you follow the instructions exactly, there is no reason why you should have issues installing the Rom. If you feel you are smarter than the instructions, and can save a little time by bypassing some steps, don't come crying. Figure it out.

Titanium Backup users, I don't want to hear it. And this goes for anybody else running 2.3 Gingerbread apps on Honeycomb. It is much better, to download an app fresh. Google loves you.

Tasker users, don't even bother. Learn the system.

Of course, all comments are welcome, good or bad.

Still giving Life, to the 501!

Download Link

Now. for removed game apps.

Note, you will have to unzip the file to your PC. Copy The game.apk to your Data/app folder, check permissions (should be the same as all other apps), and install. I do not know which ones you want, so I offer them in a zip file.

DOWNLOAD ACER GAMES

For Acer System Apps I removed. Unzip to your PC. Copy the apk (and associated Odex file if there) to your System/App folder. Check permissions (same as the other apps), then reboot tablet.

I do not offer 100% promise these will run correctly. They should. But if you have issues, let me know. Some system apps, depend on others to run.

Also note, that some of these system apps, will continue to run in memory as a process after using. That's why I removed them.

DOWNLOAD ACER SYSTEM APPS SERVER 1

This is the last ROM I will work on for HC 3.2.x. However, if you have a link to a different COM_GEN a501 rom, that nobody has worked on, and you need it, I will be happy to strip it down. Just send me the link.

ICS will be coming in a couple of months, and I doubt Acer will do anymore updates to HC. I have enjoyed playing with these Roms, and I have enjoyed communicating with everybody. But it's time to move to better things. So I hope this rom, gives you much pleasure.

May it run stable and trouble free.

Moscow Desire.

BATTERY MODS​

Note: these are ONLY for Alexandra III, or a rom using the same TMPL build. Any use of these mods on another rom, will produce some very strange results.

Special Thanks - Ordio We finally got them de- and re-compiled!

Ok,these are the same as in Alexandra II. Nice and clean.

INSTALLATION

Wipe Battery Stats
Install Mod

All Blue Circular Mod

Multi-color Circular Mod

Dotted Blue Circular Mod

Return to Stock Battery

Attachments

• Benchmark.jpg
    Benchmark.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3,611
  • GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,610
  • Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 4,228
  • version.jpg
    version.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 3,593
  • Overclock.jpg
    Overclock.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3,395
  • Process.jpg
    Process.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 3,291
Last edited:
K

kjy2010

Good job on the running apps.
Looks like your GPS is working even better than "the other Guy's".
;)

ordio

Nov 3, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for letting me help test it out for you...

Very stable and i'm quite happy with the results that i've gotten so far.

Everyone's 3g/4g speeds will vary, and i'm happy to report good 4g speeds for those that have the Roger's 4G model... i'm not sure on the AT&T model though.

Once i tested GPS, it locked on VERY quickly (however i was on wifi so it may have been just that quick) :)

No issues at all with titanium backup and restoring old programs. Heck, i was able to restore my settings for HC with Titanium backup :)...

Of course, this is YMMV :)

I'll have to grab the addons for this as well :).. Glad gaming works great! :)

Ahh, Android/data folder.. i see where those are.. that will help. thank you.

I miss the circle battery.. i was wondering if there was anything i can do to try and help port them over? :)

Also i just tested my usb thumbdrive (verbatim 32gb), and it works fine.. was able to copy a movie that i ripped over :)

Again, thank you!

brnakp

Apr 10, 2006
Hi MD :)

I am happilly running your Alexandra II, it is great ROM, so I plan to upgrade to Alexandra III. Just a question, are you going to provide us with circle battery theme?

Thanks a lot.. Petr

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks for letting me help test it out for you...

Very stable and i'm quite happy with the results that i've gotten so far.

Again, thank you!

Ordio, I am thankful you helped testing.

You and the others, whom I mentioned. I hope it works well, as I run it also ;)

This is the last rom. Unless somebody has a different Com_Gen they want stripped.

Again, thanks!

Reactions: Opus00

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator

I am happilly running your Alexandra II, it is great ROM, so I plan to upgrade to Alexandra III. Just a question, are you going to provide us with circle battery theme?

Thanks a lot.. Petr

Hopefully, I will get a battery mod soon. DO NOT use Alexandra II battery mod, as it is a different framework and systemUI.

Glad you like the previous II. I like it also. 4 months, and it always worked without any errors. It's kind of special to me.

Moscow

Reactions: Opus00 and metpolds

metpolds

Jun 11, 2011
@Moscow - I'm a 500 owner not 501 but I thank you for all the work you've done on your 2 Alexandra roms. As evinced by posters on your threads it has improved the lot of 501 owners who previously appeared to be the poor waifs standing out in the cold.

Personally I am using Icy Faux at the moment however when I get round to downloading Alexandra 3 I will mod the build.prop and have fun with it on my 500 ......... and NO I will not be whining if I cause problems (that's what recovery programs are for!).

Although you profess this may be your last Rom, I hope we will still be able to enjoy your honest and acerbic remarks on the threads.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
@Moscow - I'm a 500 owner not 501 but I thank you for all the work you've done on your 2 Alexandra roms. As evinced by posters on your threads it has improved the lot of 501 owners who previously appeared to be the poor waifs standing out in the cold.

Personally I am using Icy Faux at the moment however when I get round to downloading Alexandra 3 I will mod the build.prop and have fun with it on my 500 ......... and NO I will not be whining if I cause problems (that's what recovery programs are for!).

Although you profess this may be your last Rom, I hope we will still be able to enjoy your honest and acerbic remarks on the threads.

Thanks Metpolds. I, along with the other "modders". appreciate people like you.

And I speak for some of them, maybe not all. ;)

Hope it works well for you. Read my notes, as this "official" rom, is a bit odd. I remind you, as far as I know, it's the only official 3.2.1 rom for the 501. And yes, in true Acer fashion, they changed a couple of things with the install. But no problem, just read the notes I put.

No, I am not going to quit giving love to the 501.

When ICS hits (officially), I will be there to "rip and strip". It;s just that there won't be anymore updates to 3.2. Unless somebody finds some other COM GEN's they need stripped. And yes, if you find one, let me know.

Yes, Alex II will always be my baby.

Chow for now. Sleep time in Moscow.

Erik_T

Sep 15, 2011
Thanks Metpolds. I, along with the other "modders". appreciate people like you.

And I speak for some of them, maybe not all. ;)

Hope it works well for you. Read my notes, as this "official" rom, is a bit odd. I remind you, as far as I know, it's the only official 3.2.1 rom for the 501. And yes, in true Acer fashion, they changed a couple of things with the install. But no problem, just read the notes I put.

No, I am not going to quit giving love to the 501.

When ICS hits (officially), I will be there to "rip and strip". It;s just that there won't be anymore updates to 3.2. Unless somebody finds some other COM GEN's they need stripped. And yes, if you find one, let me know.

Yes, Alex II will always be my baby.

Chow for now. Sleep time in Moscow.

Thanks for this man. I got really sad when you said it was your last rom. I thought that meant NO Moscow love for ICS.. Which made me really said. And you're op is perfect.. Expect that my name is spelled with a K. It's alright though. You posted this before I got the chance to flash it and test it out myself. And yes I know the reason. The trolls that haunt XDA are massive sometimes. D:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

vothanhtam

Sep 10, 2009
This ROM is really smooth compares to the previous one. Even though I had to start all my customizations again but it's worth it.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks for this man. I got really sad when you said it was your last rom. I thought that meant NO Moscow love for ICS.. Which made me really said. And you're op is perfect.. Expect that my name is spelled with a K. It's alright though. You posted this before I got the chance to flash it and test it out myself. And yes I know the reason. The trolls that haunt XDA are massive sometimes. D:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Corrected. :eek:

And you're still under contract to check things out. :D

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Meant to ask, how goes it for the a510 rom you were trying out, get it to work or did you kill the wife's tab....
Don't believe you killed the wife's A501 or you'd be out with the dog right now and no pc.... :p
And have you looked at the A200 rom, the ring looks awesome, pity it can't use back camera, 3g or gps on our tabs....

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Well, for me, 3g has to be there, Also a forward facing camera for Skype.

Otherwise, I should just go get an a200 ;)

For starters, it's for quad core it seems. I suppose I could try using "somebody's" ICS kernel to jump start it. But really, until Acer releases some drivers for camera, and internal 3g, It would be a waste of time for anybody with a 501.

What it might benefit, is some folks who are working on ICS builds, to get the bugs out of their hardware accel. Or point them in the right direction to some other problem areas. Mostly it would be for 500 users though.

Of course if the kernel source isn't released, it's 50% useless. In my opinion anyhow.

When I get some time, I'll familiarize myself with some things. Right now, I've got some battery mods, and Wifi and 3g mods to take care of.

I need a full functioning tab by early Monday morn ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moscow Desire's Android 3.2.1 Alexandra III Ver 1.1 ROM OC/UV Kernel

A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL

Note: This is for the Acer A501, and not the A500. 500 users can run this, but you will need to modify the build.prop file to reflect Wifi-only. (ro.carrier=wifi-only). You can add this line near the end of build.prop. Folder System/ You can do this on your pc, before you install.

I won't fill this page with all types of fancy colors on every line, or huge pictures, or "ultra" huge fonts. You people are not little kids. So no need to use 50 different colors. I'll just tell you like it is (and I'll do it in 3 colors or less)

Added Installation Changes Update

Pure HC 3.2.1

I'll tell what I noticed, and between 3.2 and 3.2.1, it's this.....

Improved Performance in the Apps Drawer. Almost "0" lag time. Increased screen sensitivity. (compared to stock 3.2)

This has been tested on my Tablet with no problems so far, as with other testers. All stock apps, and games, work as advertised.

Why do you want to use this Rom? Well, not a lot out there for the 501, and seems nobody wants to do anything about it. Too focused on the a500 or ICS.
    Not to mention it's 3.2.1, And it's a "factory released a501 rom", and I have stripped most of the memory and battery eating pigs out of it.

The only thing left running in Processes after install, is;

Google Services
    Digital Clock (people want their alarm clock)
    Android Keyboard

This is not a "system dump". 100% pure Acer Release.

Yes, there are a couple of 501 roms. But other than 1 or 2 that I know is pure 501 HC 3.2, I ask, do you want to use a 500 rom that was modified to be a 501? Do you wish your display to freeze when you're on 3g because of a mismatched kernel? Do you want a system dumped rom?

Or would you rather have a factory delivered Rom?

We have tested this Rom, and it holds true to as much stock as possible. Addition of a custom kernel, which has been tested, allows a ratio of clock speed vs battery life. Yes, there is 1 other kernel to use, but unfortunately, I cannot post this rom using it.

For NTFS External drive support, download Drive Mount from the market (tested and works) Fat32 support is normal without Drive Mount.

For Ad-hoc support, I think by now, anybody who needs it, knows where to get it.

If you cannot get GPS for some reason, you can try the 1st link in the forum. Lately, seems nobody needs this anymore since 3.2 release.

This release based on Acer_A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL. RichardTrip kernel based on longer battery life with OC speed with undervoltage. Min, 216, Max 1646.

For Credits, I would like to thank:
    KJY2010- As usual for his helpful advice and great insight, and for being my friend.
    RichardTrip - Kernel (src lnk on his page)
    JaeKar99- Boot animation. (and NO, I will not change it) you can though.

Special thanks to these people for testing, to make sure I didn't mess things up, and this is in NO order;

Ordio
    Anthrax132
    Erik_T

Thanks for checking things for me, and tolerating some slow download times ;)

Core 3.2.1 is unmodified, except for the Framework-res,for default wallpaper. All core files are 100% Acer.

Languages Supported
    Cestina
    Dansk
    Deutsch
    English
    Espanol
    Francais
    Italiano
    Nederlands
    Norsk Bokmal
    Polski
    Portugues
    Suomi
    Svenska
    Russian
    Arabic (not sure which dialect)

What works.... everything that is included.What doesn't work, nothing that I can see.

What's removed:

Just about everything Acer. And I mean it.
    All Acer games.
    All the useless Acer things that may be a process.

Apps Installed:
    Other than the usual SU and Busybox...
    Asus Weather
    AdFree (update your host files)
    Bluetooth File Transfer
    CPU Master Free
    Root Explorer (free)
    Hackers Keyboard
    MX Video Player w/codecs
    Terminal
    SDrescan
    Card games (I love these things when I'm bored)

Acer apps moved to Data for easy removal
    Acer Media
    Acer Aupeo
    File Manager HD
    Kobo
    LumiRead
    Google Voice
    TegraZone Games
    Zinio Reader
    Game Loft store
    3D Photo Browser
    (note that 3D Photo Browser is a useless app, but I left it in Data in case somebody thinks it's cool. Note that after you run it, it resides in system memory until you remove the app or kill the process.)

Note: I removed the Acer Media Player(s) as they stayed in memory as a process after you ended the program, and are memory pigs. I would advise to use WinAmp from the Android Market to play audio files, or whatever audio player you wish.

All Photos were taken after initial install.

GPS taken next to window (not open).

AnTuTu Benchmark was taken after initial Install while on Internal 3g.

Installation:

For Thor's CWM
    1. Wipe User Data
    2. Wipe Cache
    3. Wipe DalviK
    4. Wipe Battery Stats

Select Go Back, Goto Mounts and Storage

1. Format System
    2. Format Cache
    3. Format Dalvik
    4. Format Flexrom (optional, depending on version, you may not need to do this)

For RA Recovery

UPDATE NOTE: Version 3.14 does not have the option to Format Flexrom. This is what caused the animation loop on first flashing. I advise to update to version 3.15

(3.14)
    Wipe;
    Data/Factory Reset
    Data
    Cache
    Android.secure
    Dalvik

(3.15) This should take care of animation loop
    Wipe;
    Data/Factory Reset
    Dalvik
    System

NOTE: you may get an Offset error xxxx. Ignore it. Seems common these days. After installation is complete, Go Back, and Reboot system.

If you get stuck at the Boot-Animation, just reboot to recovery, wipe "data, dalvik, system and cache" then Install again. It seems Acer, changed some things for the 3.2.1 501 install. You do not need to format anything.

You'll see a small "flash" during the Acer Logo. This is normal, as it is the custom kernel loading. Also, when running for the first time, you will get an "OK" prompt as the "Acer" (cough cough) APKinstaller finishes.

The Default Language is Poliski (Polish) so you can change it in the beginning. No, I am not going to change it, as it's a TMPL, and I have no idea which country you are from.

For Overclocking, use CpuMaster and set your CPU speed. 1504 is what I run the most. Set your governor to "on demand" or "Interactive" for longer battery life. Set to "Apply at Boot". If you don't like CPUMaster, then you are free to uninstall it, and Use SetCpu or PimpMyCpu.

Disclaimer:

You flash this Rom at your own risk. If you follow the instructions exactly, there is no reason why you should have issues installing the Rom. If you feel you are smarter than the instructions, and can save a little time by bypassing some steps, don't come crying. Figure it out.

Titanium Backup users, I don't want to hear it. And this goes for anybody else running 2.3 Gingerbread apps on Honeycomb. It is much better, to download an app fresh. Google loves you.

Tasker users, don't even bother. Learn the system.

Of course, all comments are welcome, good or bad.

Still giving Life, to the 501!

Download Link

Now. for removed game apps.

Note, you will have to unzip the file to your PC. Copy The game.apk to your Data/app folder, check permissions (should be the same as all other apps), and install. I do not know which ones you want, so I offer them in a zip file.

DOWNLOAD ACER GAMES

For Acer System Apps I removed. Unzip to your PC. Copy the apk (and associated Odex file if there) to your System/App folder. Check permissions (same as the other apps), then reboot tablet.

I do not offer 100% promise these will run correctly. They should. But if you have issues, let me know. Some system apps, depend on others to run.

Also note, that some of these system apps, will continue to run in memory as a process after using. That's why I removed them.

DOWNLOAD ACER SYSTEM APPS SERVER 1

This is the last ROM I will work on for HC 3.2.x. However, if you have a link to a different COM_GEN a501 rom, that nobody has worked on, and you need it, I will be happy to strip it down. Just send me the link.

ICS will be coming in a couple of months, and I doubt Acer will do anymore updates to HC. I have enjoyed playing with these Roms, and I have enjoyed communicating with everybody. But it's time to move to better things. So I hope this rom, gives you much pleasure.

May it run stable and trouble free.

Moscow Desire.

BATTERY MODS​

Note: these are ONLY for Alexandra III, or a rom using the same TMPL build. Any use of these mods on another rom, will produce some very strange results.

Special Thanks - Ordio We finally got them de- and re-compiled!

Ok,these are the same as in Alexandra II. Nice and clean.

INSTALLATION

Wipe Battery Stats
    Install Mod

All Blue Circular Mod

Multi-color Circular Mod

Dotted Blue Circular Mod

Return to Stock Battery
    MD, I'm so boring coz no problem found with ur Alex III ;-) I need something to update, long time no see the recovery screen :)

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk

For me, that is good news!!!!

Will post an update maybe this weekend. Just a couple of things, nothing big.

Thanks a lot.. Petr

Hopefully, I will get a battery mod soon. DO NOT use Alexandra II battery mod, as it is a different framework and systemUI.

Glad you like the previous II. I like it also. 4 months, and it always worked without any errors. It's kind of special to me.

Moscow
    yeah i get the H+ icon, I hope thats what you mean....

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

and if this helps anyone could you please thank me, I Just wanna make sum rep...lol
    Battery Mods are Up

BATTERY MODS are UP!!!! See original post! Enjoy!

:D:D