USB Host/OTG without doc

Search This thread

dzr

Jun 29, 2008
For the "old" Atrix 4G, there is a thread regarding USB Host, without a dock.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=997187

Can the same be done with the Atrix 2 (buying the USB hub and the OTG adapter)? I assume getting WebTop app requires rooting? Can the USB OTG still be used without rooting?

If not using WebTop app, is there any advantage going this route, versus just using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse ? Maybe just so that I can copy files to a disk key?

I'm just envisioning using something like this while visiting a relative or staying at a hotel - hooking the phone up to a TV, to be able to do things.

Thanks

Last edited:

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
Yes, it works on the atrix 2. I've gotten usb mass storage, keyboards and mice to work. All before the root was available.
The only problem I have with it is minecraft pocket edition doesn't support remapping the input to keyboard+mouse. :p
Oh- also I had to shave a little plastic off the side of the OTG adapter for the HDMI cable to fit at the same time.

I would suggest going the bluetooth route unless you need usb mass storage or usb ethernet.
The mess of wires can get pretty bad...

Last edited:

RogerThis

Dec 2, 2011
Hmmm... I need help here.

I have this set up:

- Micro USB On-The-Go Host OTG Adapter
- The USB male split into two cables: power ( 5v + GND) and data (d+, d- , GND)

It's fully functional, on my Touchpad running CM9 and WebOS. But doesn't work on my atrix 2.

What the thread on the OP is suggesting is you have to put the 5v on the data cable too ?

-------------------

yeah, just did it. It works and still charges the cellphone! \o/

Last edited:

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
When I tested it, I used a hub. Thankfully the hub's included cable has a third lead coming off with only 5v and ground connected, so it was a perfect match.

I've spliced up a cable to test the way you have it. Unfortunately, even with 5v+gnd hotwired, I haven't been able to get it to work without a hub between the usb otg adapter and the usb device.
This suggests that Motorola only really wants you to use usb host mode with the official lapdock or docking station, etc.

RogerThis

Dec 2, 2011
Strange... The modified cable worked fine to me.

an usb keyboard worked with the cable and even an unmodified usb hub.

So you have a hub with a second cable only for power? Do you have a link ?

moofree

Oct 28, 2011
Texas
Strange... The modified cable worked fine to me.

an usb keyboard worked with the cable and even an unmodified usb hub.

So you have a hub with a second cable only for power? Do you have a link ?
Just tried it and you're right about the keyboard. It works when connected directly.
Till this point I had only been trying USB storage and mice.
This kinda makes me think this is just a software deficiency that could be worked around. :)

As far as the hub goes, it's just a 4 dollar hub I found at goodwill.
After a little research, I found out what it is but it's discontinued of course. Any usb hub should work, the trick is the Y cable.
The hub linked to on dealextreme in that Atrix thread is wired in a way analogous to this.

Last edited:

RogerThis

Dec 2, 2011
Just tried it and you're right about the keyboard. It works when connected directly.
Till this point I had only been trying USB storage and mice.
This kinda makes me think this is just a software deficiency that could be worked around. :)

As far as the hub goes, it's just a 4 dollar hub I found at goodwill.
After a little research, I found out what it is but it's discontinued of course. Any usb hub should work, the trick is the Y cable.
The hub linked to on dealextreme in that Atrix thread is wired in a way analogous to this.

Man!, I use this site a lot and never saw this hub! Thanks!
The self made Y cable is fine, I just want a better solution without semi-naked wires hanging around. =)

Can you guys explain a bit more about these modified cables and the Y adapter cable? Like, exactly what cables do I need, and what modifications need to be done.

Thanks!

To the Atrix act as a host all you need is that OTG adapter metioned earlier. But, mobile devices don't provide power to "guest" devices. So, you need to power the usb device with a external source.

You have 2 options:

- Self powered HUB. Actually that's not enough. You'll need to power the USB pin 1 on the cable connected to the atrix to active the Host mode. That's why that hack (wire soldered) on the atrix 1 thread.

- The Y cable. As I described before is a normal USB cable powered by other USB cable. Ex: http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Power-Adapter-Cable-AUSB-Y/dp/B000JIOHDE

On our scenario, one will provide the data communication and the other the power. So, the data cable you will connect to the atrix and the other to a PC or the atrix charger.

I hope I made myself clear in a not so bad english.

If you buy a Y cable, you'll only need the OTG adapter ( http://dx.com/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774 ) and any usb hub.

If you want to make the cable, only 2 USB cables.

If you want to modify an USB hub. Just any hub and a cable.

I'm modifying an USB hub, I'll post pictues and I get home.

codenamefly21

Feb 18, 2012
Rechargeable battery powered usb hub with otg cable

I was able to make myself a battery powered usb hub with an otg micro end on the cable and its rechargeable. All for $10

dzr

Jun 29, 2008
Using the USB host adapter and a y splitter, which I power via USB to AC adapter I can use a keyboard / mouse. I am unable, though to access a USB memory stick or the like. Looking at the Atrix 4G forums of people who did similarly - pre the latest firmware, the Atrix 4G needed to use manually mounting - which I assume needs root. But, the latest Atrix 4G automounts. But, I have a Atrix 2 with the latest firmware... and no automounting. Any ideas?

Thanks

Enny2

Apr 16, 2012
I have the Micro USB OTG Adapter ( product B005N55WHI on amazon ) + the Y cable ( product B003HHK576 on Amazon ).
I put on the red plug of the Y cable a portable USB battery (phone detects it and is charging).

On the end of the Y cable I have my camera.

When I check with USB Hostdiagnostic it detects the USB device (my camera) but not the app I want to use it with. The USB host diag shows that at Android API Claims support and Classes found is NO and Device detected is N/A .

What am I missing?

Update:
USB Mouse and keyboard works.

Last edited:

chistysyed

Aug 3, 2010
atrix2 - pendrive auto mount

Using the USB host adapter and a y splitter, which I power via USB to AC adapter I can use a keyboard / mouse. I am unable, though to access a USB memory stick or the like. Looking at the Atrix 4G forums of people who did similarly - pre the latest firmware, the Atrix 4G needed to use manually mounting - which I assume needs root. But, the latest Atrix 4G automounts. But, I have a Atrix 2 with the latest firmware... and no automounting. Any ideas?

Thanks

Like above, I too have same issue with Atrix2(pendrive not getting detected / mounting), whereas mouse & keyboard work fine. can anybody help.

NHS2008

Jul 24, 2010
Mumbai
I didn't have a female to female adapter. But I found an ancient internal USB hub that works just fine!
20130110_190239.jpg

in fact, I am posting this through the ATRIX 2, typing this with keyboard!! :D

EDIT:
Anyway to get USB controller to work?? the generic dual-shock II clone.

Last edited:

SPYWARE_Holdings_Janath

Oct 22, 2011
Bydgoszcz
i have drawn a simple diagram using paint which i have understood by reading through out this thread,
is it correct?

and i have spotted a question in the diagram which asking for a Y splitter. is this is the one which called Y splitter or something else?

thanks

EDIT

and for the records is this OTG cable will work this atrix 2?

Last edited:

NHS2008

Jul 24, 2010
Mumbai
i have drawn a simple diagram using paint which i have understood by reading through out this thread,
is it correct?

and i have spotted a question in the diagram which asking for a Y splitter. is this is the one which called Y splitter or something else?

thanks

EDIT

and for the records is this OTG cable will work this atrix 2?

That cable is right. but diagram is not.
Here see this...:eek:

monichutti

Sep 29, 2010
thiruvalla

Thanks

i am using atrix 2 i did it and its automatically mounding the flash drive and mouse ,i don't have a usb keyboard so i didnt tried that, but flash drive is mounding automatic i am using stock ICS.