[APP]Location Aware mySearch is powered by Bing!

Search This thread

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
mySearch is a location aware search application that uses Microsoft Bing to return results based on your current position. Just enter in your search term and press the search button to return location specific results!

Note: the ROM based HTML viewer control that mySearch uses to pull web service data is broken in cooked WM6.5 builds from mid 23xxx up to 28205 (which tested good when I built for Raphael). The problem renders the viewer unable to "go online". No 21xxx ROMs are affected tmk. This includes all shipping WM6.5 builds & derivatives. Hopefully we'll get to the root problem itnf and it won't require a re-flash to correct

This app requires myLocation services. The myLocation service installer can be found here. If your device has HTC's G-Sensor service then simply orient the screen for landscape or portrait mode. Finger based scrolling/panning is also enabled on all devices that support it.

The program will install to \Program Files\mySearch. A custom png Icon is also located there for those who may wish to install it in Titanium or Manilla.

Have fun with it!

Changelog:

v1.0
Initial Release.
v1.1
Added "Back" and "New Search" navigation softkeys
v1.2
Corrected bug in "back" logic when history was > 5 links

mysearch.png

Attachments

• mySearchInstallerv1.2.CAB
    83.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Of course, mySearch works for any kind of searching as well. Location info is only used by bing if you are requesting something where the results may be location relevant. For example, I was in the fish store the other day and needed a picture:

capscr0022.png

Bing actually does a very good job of automatically figuring out when you want location relevance:

capscr0020.png

In short, this little app is an all around neat search tool. With finger flickable screen scrolling, and g-sensor enabled screen sizing, I'm actually amazed at how well it works as a general purpose web browser too. Maybe my next program will be a simple browser replacement that is powered by the HTML view control! Heck, all I need is a URL input control and a progress bar...

Last edited:

Georgeous2008

Dec 25, 2008
Is MySearch supposed to run on WM6.1 as well ? When running it on my device (Blackstone stock ROM latest), it says connecting, but nothing happens ...

Georgeous2008

Dec 25, 2008
You're right, there is some problem with PIE on my device, it wouldn't connect to anything, whereas Opera Mobile just works perfectly fine. I'll have to look into that ... I'll keep you up-to-date ...

ssenbonzakura

Jan 29, 2010
This is one sweet app but its not working right on my tmo touch pro2.I've installed mylocation and installed mysearch. However when I search the listings being given are way off. I'm in upstate ny and the listings show wisconsin. is there something I can do?

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
MyLocation may not be working correctly. There have been reports of this with T-Mobile users using 3G services, reason being that the 3G towers aren't in Google's database. Test this with myRadar. It will show a map of the current location. You can place the service in manual mode and enter the correct latitude/longitude yourself as a work around. Also, going to Edge from 3G may correct your problem.

wkmtx500

May 4, 2007
Also works fine on Omnia II i8000

Tested it on my Omnia II i8000 with WM6.5.3 (rom 28008 pdaviet) in combination with my MySearch and works super. Thanks!

Now I need a program that can contineously send the info to for example google latitude. The ultimate tracking solution. If someone has an idea in that direction....

noofny

Oct 28, 2009
great app thank you!

can anyone please tell me what is that weather plugin showing above the clock that reads '23o Light Fog' ?

Thanks

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
That's a mylocation aware TitaniumWeather variant. If you need it now, load showaco's cab then copy the titaniumweather.mscr from post one of the mylocation service thread.

Or....

Wait for the cab (working with BeyondInvisible currently on some graphics mods)

Or....

wait for Sleuth's Rhodium ROM featuring myLocation services. You're actually seeing screenshots from a test build on post 1 ;)

Here's what TitaniumWeather featuring Beyond's incredible artwork looks like when the panel is selected:

sleuthstilt2.jpg

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Your GPS isn't used by this app. The myLocation service uses the celltower your phone is connected to for location determination. It's about 3-5Km from your actual position but more than accurate enough for mySearch, myRadar and TitaniumWeather.

kinggofg

Apr 4, 2007
I'm using an EnergyRom version. OS is 23539

I know you said it wouldn't work. Can confirm. It just shows a blank white screen.

However. Location service and Titanium weather work great. Thanks!

Looking forward to a fix for 23xxx builds.