28,582 posts
Thanks Meter: 66,127

By Scott, Recognized Developer on 19th January 2012, 09:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th March 2012, 05:57 AM |#3461  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 199

More
So when you get tired of that setup, I know a great charity that you can donate it to.

14th March 2012, 05:58 AM |#3462  
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 613

More
ok, I'll play, though mine is a very budget setup:
AMD 9950 quad core processor
Some Biotech MB that had both ide and sata connections (lots of them)
8gb ddr3 RAM (maybe 1066 or the next one up, can't remember)
160gb HD for OS
2 1TB hard drives for media
2 DVD burners
No video card (MB has integrated graphics and don't play games much so haven't needed on)
7.1 channel sound card

All told, spent about 350 a year and a half ago on this setup with a budget case and power supply on newegg
14th March 2012, 05:58 AM |#3463  
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 345

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmerikL

So when you get tired of that setup, I know a great charity that you can donate it to.

Chefthomas99 :thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
14th March 2012, 06:00 AM |#3464  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Man I wish I had time to be a nerd. How did you get that thing to 4.8? I can't get mine past 4.3 without it screwing up. I have almost the same setup but I got a gigabyte mobo and a evga gtx 570. I'm really a novice at tweaking stuff, scared of it really. Is there a way to take a screenshot or get a readout of your cpu settings? If its something easy to do I would like to look at it. If its something you have to do manually nevermind.
14th March 2012, 06:15 AM |#3465  
Flag Greensboro, NC
Thanks Meter: 494

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane5581

Man I wish I had time to be a nerd. How did you get that thing to 4.8? I can't get mine past 4.3 without it screwing up. I have almost the same setup but I got a gigabyte mobo and a evga gtx 570. I'm really a novice at tweaking stuff, scared of it really. Is there a way to take a screenshot or get a readout of your cpu settings? If its something easy to do I would like to look at it. If its something you have to do manually nevermind.

water cooling probably helps him out a lot more
14th March 2012, 06:52 AM |#3466  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4

was going to send you a donation, but obviously, I now see that you don't need one...

Damn, I guess I just screwed myself with that posting

But serious, this was all bought and paid for with my tax refund! Donations help, they keep the phone bill paid and the website paid, lol. So dont stop just because I have amassed a killer system. Just means I waited all year until I got my taxes. Im not rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmerikL

I wont be getting rid of this for... well... As I am sure you can by the age of the monitors in the second picture, I dont get rid of anything. Ever, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane5581

You cant get it past 4.3??? Really? Damn. I set it up XMP profile #2 wich for my memory puts me at 2133 and all base frequencies. I didint touch any buses or anything like that. Then I just slowely started going up 100 MHZ at a time. Until it would randomly crash. Then I would add more voltage, verified it stable, then went up again, kept going until I hit 4.8 and realized I am pumping a lot of voltage into this thing. So I cut the voltage down to about 1.30, left everythying else stock, and it was stupid hot so I put in the water cooler. At 4.8 I can game any game at 1080P, max settings, and not go over 45 celcius. I would hit that idle with stock intel cooler. That water cooler is INTENSE. I was very impressed with it for $75.00. It was a bitch to put on because I had to tear the entire system apart to get at the bottom of the board. Then when you put the bracket on the back side its loose. So you THINK you need some washers... So I searched for like 3 hours on the Corsair site and found someone with same chip and mobo. Watched three guys all say they know what is right then a Corsair mod came in and said, not its supposed to be loose until you tighten down the top half. So after hours of watching bullshit Youtube videos, scanning all the OC forums, Corsair had the answer the whole time, lol

So yeah, and then when I was clocking it up I was getting random video freezes. Then eventually I realized the brand new 560 was bad so I replaced that and dropped back to 4.6. I just dont need to run at 4.8 and the increased voltage is generating too much heat (not really). So now at 4.6 I can still game many 100 FPS at 1080P with max settings in any game and stay below 32 Celcius. That my friend is outstanding. I also have a Corsair SSD so that helps cut back on heat and slow spinning 1TB drive for data and Blueray that ever ever spins for anything at all. So I have a larger case, appropriate cooling for case fans, top of the line power supply, etc... It runs like insanity!

I want to get the 2700K but buy the time i get the donations for it ($350) the 2800k will prolly be out, lol. BUt I heard of people hitting 5K on the 2700K. And right now its only a few more than I paid for my 2600k. Overall though, I am sure I wont see a diff. My next purchase will be an identical hard drive for RAID 0. BUt this hard drive out the box is sick. From BOIS beep to desktop is about 6.5 seconds. Thats fast, I dont care who you are!

PS, all this is manual tweaking. Took me about 3 hours to get it mixed right so I dont know of a auto solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoe600

water cooling probably helps him out a lot more

Oh yeah, I could hit those clocks on air but got WWWAAAYYYY too hot!
14th March 2012, 07:13 AM |#3467  
Dana Point, CA
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Sorry to break up the amazing computer setup talk. I just have a macbook pro.

Question. I updated 3.7 and am having bluetooth issues. Phone calls now come through the phone but it will transfer back to media streaming on my car speakers after. I do use a car dock and it does funny things with car mode. I did flash the sebastien kernel and then flashed back the htc kernel because tethering wouldnt work.

This rom is by far the best I have seen on all of my devices and runs dope. I am stoked and hopefully I will donate to Scott soon. Any tweaks or reccomendations are greatly appreciated.
14th March 2012, 07:16 AM |#3468  
Indiana
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Nevermind...
14th March 2012, 07:21 AM |#3469  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Hdoqbcheiakbchekakc.

I don't even know what to say. Good god man, I'm jealous.

Sent from my Ice Cream covered Rezound
14th March 2012, 07:22 AM |#3470  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Fargo

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty31703

Really? My Samsung laptop with a i5, 6GB of ram, and NVidia Optimus Hybrid graphics card gets a 4.2. I thought a desktop with an i7 and a semi-decent graphics card or better would blow my laptop out of the water...

We are talking 4.8 GHZ processor speed. For windows score I get 7.9's except processor which is 7.8. But I can live with that for now.
14th March 2012, 07:28 AM |#3471  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 306

More
A few pics of my systems. Does not including my server PC. sorry for the crap pictures but my hand is shaking for some reason.

main hardware spread between my 2 main PC's

5 - 24in samsung LED's 1920x1080 (chose this specific monitor for the thin bezel, as it helps with gaming immersion when using 2D and 3D vision)
4 - 560 Ti
24gb - DDR3
2 - i7 2600k's
6 - 3TB HDD's WD Green (Storage)
4 - 2TB HDD's WD Green (Storage)
2 - 240GB SSD's (OS Drives)

hardware in my htpc

i7-960
12gb - DDR3
18TB - worth of HD space
1 - 240gb SSD OS drive
1 - 560ti
1 - 55in LED Bravia

left out overclocks and speeds etc. didnt think anyone would be interested.

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty31703

Really? My Samsung laptop with a i5, 6GB of ram, and NVidia Optimus Hybrid graphics card gets a 4.2. I thought a desktop with an i7 and a semi-decent graphics card or better would blow my laptop out of the water...

getting a windows index score of 7.9 for processor is pretty tough.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)