[Q] I need help to stop all the reboots

Search This thread

highflying10

Jan 11, 2012
Have you tryed a super wipe tool use just before you flash the ROM

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium

yup. used it several times and even multiple times in a row and with multiple factory wipes from within cwm for just a single rom flash.

im currently working on the sdcard suggestion from a few posts up and if that doesnt work, ill flash the stock rom/kernel now that i got instructions.

wloftus

Nov 26, 2011
St Louis,mo
yup. used it several times and even multiple times in a row and with multiple factory wipes from within cwm for just a single rom flash.

im currently working on the sdcard suggestion from a few posts up and if that doesnt work, ill flash the stock rom/kernel now that i got instructions.

that user may not be refering to the sdcard its self but the sd-ext partition that may reside on your system.... go to your recovery system and go to the advanced options for reformatting and try to reformat the sd-ext partition before you clear out your sdcard its self

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
I wonder why folks have issues on the latest 2.17 my guess they didn't wipe right or flash it right maybe when they updated . Also somethin on the SD card maybe . Never had any issues with it when I was stock or rooted.

Reaper midnight blue .

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
that user may not be refering to the sdcard its self but the sd-ext partition that may reside on your system.... go to your recovery system and go to the advanced options for reformatting and try to reformat the sd-ext partition before you clear out your sdcard its self

Nope referring to the SD itself. If the user didn't partition the SD threw pc/ laptop/ recovery,etc then the /sd-ext partition wouldn't exist therefore something thats not there can't be wiped. If the sd was partitioned then after the user formats the sd they would have to repartition the sd and then continue with the guide.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

Last edited:
Reactions: highflying10

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010

Also by chance are you using force roam VIA mod or apk ???

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010

highflying10

Jan 11, 2012
ive now restored to stock using the rogers RUU.
as for the forced roaming, here are my option and how they're set:
data roaming: off
network mode: gsm/wcdma
network provider: virgin
enable always on mobile data: off (i only use wifi)

highflying10

Jan 11, 2012
new questions

EDIT: just noticed I didn't answer everything you said. You keep s-off, but lose the custom recovery, and root/superuser (same thing essentially). Getting root back is really simple though, all you have to do is add superuser back to the stock ROM (RUU puts you on completely stock ROM/kernel) or flash a custom recovery again and then any ROM from recovery, and you'll get superuser/root back in that ROM

ok so i reformatted my sd card both in the pc and inside the phone. then i went back to stock using the Rogers RUU. all is well so far, no reboots (but then again its only been a day and it usually starts after a few weeks)

now when i boot into the bootloader, it says I'm "locked" (not "relocked") and that I'm S-off. So i tried downloading Superuser from Market and it installs but then i tried getting rom manager but it tells me i'm not rooted. So, am i correct that i need to flash superuser using CWM and not simply install it from the market? if so, i need to get CWM first.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1247392
I found these instructions for how to add it on after getting s-off through revolutionary but i think i rather redo the whole revolutionary process because at the end it asks if you want to flash CWM and all I have to do is select "y" instead of using android SDK. does this sound reasonable?

another thing. this evo is from Rogers but I've been using it on Virgin Wireless. It worked without me buying an unlock code (i guess rooting and unlocking the bootloader did this...?). Now however, the phone and messaging works but not the mobile data. Could this be related to the fact that im "locked" again?

w0rdOo

Feb 1, 2011
Detroit
ok so i reformatted my sd card both in the pc and inside the phone. then i went back to stock using the Rogers RUU. all is well so far, no reboots (but then again its only been a day and it usually starts after a few weeks)

now when i boot into the bootloader, it says I'm "locked" (not "relocked") and that I'm S-off. So i tried downloading Superuser from Market and it installs but then i tried getting rom manager but it tells me i'm not rooted. So, am i correct that i need to flash superuser using CWM and not simply install it from the market? if so, i need to get CWM first.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1247392
I found these instructions for how to add it on after getting s-off through revolutionary but i think i rather redo the whole revolutionary process because at the end it asks if you want to flash CWM and all I have to do is select "y" instead of using android SDK. does this sound reasonable?

another thing. this evo is from Rogers but I've been using it on Virgin Wireless. It worked without me buying an unlock code (i guess rooting and unlocking the bootloader did this...?). Now however, the phone and messaging works but not the mobile data. Could this be related to the fact that im "locked" again?

You have s-off, so all you need to do is download a new bootloader (I'm clueless about bootloaders and firmwares for the GSM E3D or else I'd give you some links lol), rename the bootloader you downloaded to pg86img.zip and flash it from your current bootloader. when your phone reboots after the "update" you'll have whichever bootloader you decided to flash. As for recoveries, just download the recovery from here: clockworkmod.com/rommanager, scroll down to our phone and download either the regular or touch recovery (regular is 5.0.2.0), then put it in your fastboot folder on your PC and rename it to recovery.img. then all that's left is open a command prompt window in your fastboot folder, plug the phone in to the computer and type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (without the quotes) and you'll now have your custom recovery.

BTW, last I heard, flashing CWM as part of the revolutionary unlock doesn't work, but I also heard that a couple months ago

highflying10

Jan 11, 2012
You have s-off, so all you need to do is download a new bootloader (I'm clueless about bootloaders and firmwares for the GSM E3D or else I'd give you some links lol), rename the bootloader you downloaded to pg86img.zip and flash it from your current bootloader. when your phone reboots after the "update" you'll have whichever bootloader you decided to flash. As for recoveries, just download the recovery from here: clockworkmod.com/rommanager, scroll down to our phone and download either the regular or touch recovery (regular is 5.0.2.0), then put it in your fastboot folder on your PC and rename it to recovery.img. then all that's left is open a command prompt window in your fastboot folder, plug the phone in to the computer and type "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" (without the quotes) and you'll now have your custom recovery.

BTW, last I heard, flashing CWM as part of the revolutionary unlock doesn't work, but I also heard that a couple months ago

thanks for your help.
your post left me with further questions:

1) why are you referring to getting a "new" bootloader? I've only ever heard of "unlocking" the bootloader.

2) doesn't the revolutionary method unlock it? seems it did for me the first time (before i went back to stock RUU)

3) can anyone confirm whether or not revolutionary still flashed CWM successfully? I read the thread that applied to me (hboot 1.49.0008) and nowwhere that i saw did it say it wasn't working anymore.

4) if revolutionary still works well for flashing CWM, can anyone confirm that in my present state (s-off, locked, stock RUU) I can just redo the revolutionary process to unlock and flash CWM even though I'm already s-off?

5) is the fact that i'm "locked" on the bootloader screen the reason I can't use mobile date but still use calling and messaging functions on my phone? (its a Rogers Wireless phone being used on Virgin Mobile Canada)

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
thanks for your help.
your post left me with further questions:

1) why are you referring to getting a "new" bootloader? I've only ever heard of "unlocking" the bootloader.

2) doesn't the revolutionary method unlock it? seems it did for me the first time (before i went back to stock RUU)

3) can anyone confirm whether or not revolutionary still flashed CWM successfully? I read the thread that applied to me (hboot 1.49.0008) and nowwhere that i saw did it say it wasn't working anymore.

4) if revolutionary still works well for flashing CWM, can anyone confirm that in my present state (s-off, locked, stock RUU) I can just redo the revolutionary process to unlock and flash CWM even though I'm already s-off?

5) is the fact that i'm "locked" on the bootloader screen the reason I can't use mobile date but still use calling and messaging functions on my phone? (its a Rogers Wireless phone being used on Virgin Mobile Canada)

1- your boot loader is fine
2-yes
3-Not sure but you could try if it doesn't work you just won't have a recovery.
4-Should be able to
5- Have no clue, how did you get it on virgin ?? Did you use qpst to program it ???

Edit- as far as root goes on a stock rom you have to have a recovery to flash the Su.zip then install busybox from the play store. Then dl root checker from the play store as well to verify your rooted. Also on that thread you posted a link to there's a fastboot method to flash cwm
Here's the quote from the thread if you need it

Flashing CWM after Revolutionary:

Step 1: Download and extract the Android SDK Step 2: Download http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recov...4-shooteru.img Step 3: Transfer the above step file into the tools folder of the extracted SDK in step 1 Step 4: Open a windows command prompt right click and run as administrator Step 5: cd to the extracted tools directory Step 6: reboot your phone holding the (power + vol down) Step 7: Plug in the phone and wait for usb fastboot to appear Step 8: In command prompt type "fasboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img" Step 9: Wait for completion after completion you can resume steps 13 - 15 above.

(Make sure fastboot is enabled as it was disabled in previous steps)

Keep in mind everything is provided as is and everything is done at your own risk and acceptance of said risks.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

Last edited:

highflying10

Jan 11, 2012
5- Have no clue, how did you get it on virgin ?? Did you use qpst to program it ???

Edit- as far as root goes on a stock rom you have to have a recovery to flash the Su.zip then install busybox from the play store. Then dl root checker from the play store as well to verify your rooted. Also on that thread you posted a link to there's a fastboot method to flash cwm
Here's the quote from the thread if you need it

Flashing CWM after Revolutionary:

Step 1: Download and extract the Android SDK Step 2: Download http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recov...4-shooteru.img Step 3: Transfer the above step file into the tools folder of the extracted SDK in step 1 Step 4: Open a windows command prompt right click and run as administrator Step 5: cd to the extracted tools directory Step 6: reboot your phone holding the (power + vol down) Step 7: Plug in the phone and wait for usb fastboot to appear Step 8: In command prompt type "fasboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooteru.img" Step 9: Wait for completion after completion you can resume steps 13 - 15 above.

5 - it was a rogers phone. i went through all the steps to root (without htc dev, i just used revolutionary). by the time i was done, it was already functioning with virgin mobile. i had bought an unlock code but i never had to use it.

6 - im not comfortable with the "fastboot" method. i don't know anything about sdk and i dont even understand parts of the instructions like using command prompt and no.5 "cd to the extracted tools directory" --> what's "cd"? this is why i rather redo the whole revolutionary process which seems a lot safer to me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Link for roger if still neededhttp://www.filefactory.com/f/4ef0ef536face67a/

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App
    I'm a Sprint user but I had a huge issue with random reboots after upgrading to the latest OTA from sprint. I have s-off through revolutionary. It sounds exactly like the issues the OP described so I'm just going to say that the only way I got rid of my random reboots was to use the latest RUU.exe file from my PC to restore my phone to completely stock (but you keep s-off after using the RUU). Every time I tried to upgrade to the newest OTA from Sprint using a PG86IMG.zip file, I would have the random reboot issue. After the RUU, no more random reboots on any ROM, whether it was MIUI, Sense 3.0, 3.5, or AOSP/ICS

Also, I sent some detailed instructions via PM to a few sprint XDAers who asked for help getting rid of random reboots. The replies I got all said the reboot issue went away. Idk if it's the same sort of underlying issue for everyone on the GSM EVO 3D, just thought I'd share my experiences

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

i finally got to download it but its an exe file and i havnt found clear instructions for how to use it. i'm used to flashing zip files from CWM.
    can you please advise?

i read its just a matter of plugging the phone to the pc with usb debugging and running the exe file. with this method, will i lose superuser permissions, s-off, or root?

Put the exe on your computer, not your phone. boot into fastboot (hold vol down and press power on, then choose fastboot), then plug your phone in and run the exe on your computer.

EDIT: just noticed I didn't answer everything you said. You keep s-off, but lose the custom recovery, and root/superuser (same thing essentially). Getting root back is really simple though, all you have to do is add superuser back to the stock ROM (RUU puts you on completely stock ROM/kernel) or flash a custom recovery again and then any ROM from recovery, and you'll get superuser/root back in that ROM
    Try this its helps with reboots. A lot of useres tend to neglect cleaning there sd and it can cause major reboots on all kind of roms and kernels

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10878511&postcount=8311

Hope this helps

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\

Nope referring to the SD itself. If the user didn't partition the SD threw pc/ laptop/ recovery,etc then the /sd-ext partition wouldn't exist therefore something thats not there can't be wiped. If the sd was partitioned then after the user formats the sd they would have to repartition the sd and then continue with the guide.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\
    Also by chance are you using force roam VIA mod or apk ???]

i don't even know what that it so i guess not...

Well in your
    settings/wireless & networks/mobile network/roaming options, there should be a setting that puts you on either roam, automatic,or home only. Check there to see if your on home only or not.

#Root-Hack_Mod*Always\