By ddslee, Member on 21st June 2014, 11:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd June 2014, 12:27 AM |#31  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether

the file that needs editing is the updater-script at META-INF\com\google\android
dont extract the file just edit it with notepad++

Could you explain in detail what needs to be done to disable the version check on the 4.4.2 OTA zip file?
Thank you so much!

23rd June 2014, 01:25 AM |#32  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,641

Donate to Me
More
It will be the first few line that start with assert(...)

Sent from CarbonROM on my Z-Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to blueether For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blueether Ad-Free
23rd June 2014, 02:59 AM |#33  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueether

It will be the first few line that start with assert(...)

Sent from CarbonROM on my Z-Ultra

Thanks for your input but I have no computer science background. I can flash roms and stuff but have no clue how to proceed with this.

All I want to accompish here is to get the camera working so that I can give the phone to my wife for her birthday present.

I bought this phone in used condition thinking it was stock gpe but I got scammed by a seller who I am sure frequents this site because he had rooted, installed custom recovery, played with custom roms, went back to stock, updated to 4.4.3 and sold me a phone with a broken camera as "like new".

I know it is a lot to ask from a total stranger, but would you help this poor noob by uploading a edited 4.4.2 OTA that I can use to fix this phone please?
23rd June 2014, 03:46 AM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 765

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddslee

Thanks for your input but I have no computer science background. I can flash roms and stuff but have no clue how to proceed with this.

All I want to accompish here is to get the camera working so that I can give the phone to my wife for her birthday present.

I bought this phone in used condition thinking it was stock gpe but I got scammed by a seller who I am sure frequents this site because he had rooted, installed custom recovery, played with custom roms, went back to stock, updated to 4.4.3 and sold me a phone with a broken camera as "like new".

I know it is a lot to ask from a total stranger, but would you help this poor noob by uploading a edited 4.4.2 OTA that I can use to fix this phone please?

I may have gotten it to work. Will test it tomorrow before posting link. I would rather mess my stuff up than make yours worse.
23rd June 2014, 03:52 AM |#35  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfurgerson

I may have gotten it to work. Will test it tomorrow before posting link. I would rather mess my stuff up than make yours worse.

You are my hero!

Please also let me know if I should relock the bootloader and remove the custom recovery.
Will side loading the OTA as instructed by DooMLoRD in his thread will bring everything back to stock?
Should I block future OTA updates until 4.4.4 with camera fix is released?

Thank you!!!
23rd June 2014, 03:58 AM |#36  

More
Quote:

You are my hero!

Please also let me know if I should relock the bootloader and remove the custom recovery.
Will side loading the OTA as instructed by DooMLoRD in his thread will bring everything back to stock?
Should I block future OTA updates until 4.4.4 with camera fix is released?

Thank you!!!

Shouldn't need to relock or remove recovery.
Sideloading will take it back to 4.4.2 but bootloader will remain unlocked.
If you let it update the camera will be busted again.
The Following User Says Thank You to adfurgerson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adfurgerson Ad-Free
23rd June 2014, 04:04 AM |#37  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Shouldn't need to relock or remove recovery.
Sideloading will take it back to 4.4.2 but bootloader will remain unlocked.
If you let it update the camera will be busted again.

I will wait for your edited 4.4.2 OTA file. Thank you so much!

You know, I was just trying to save a $100 and gotten myself into this mess.
From now on, I will avoid buying any used phones on cragslist unless they are brand new in a sealed box.

I thought I was doing my due diligence checking everything, but I just assumed that everything would be good because the box and the phone was in such great shape.

Thank you!!!
23rd June 2014, 04:13 AM |#38  
OP Member

More
Will the phone try to push 4.4.3 updates automatically after the downgrade?
Do I have to root again to block future updates?
23rd June 2014, 04:34 AM |#39  

More
Quote:

Will the phone try to push 4.4.3 updates automatically after the downgrade?
Do I have to root again to block future updates?

I am not sure, have updated and downgraded a bunch of times. It downloads on its own when connected to WiFi , then there is a notification in status bar that takes you to screen to select install. Don't know if it will eventually update by itself or not.
23rd June 2014, 05:39 AM |#40  

More
I think I was able to make a zip but ran into a brick wall trying to test. Wasn't able to upgrade to 4.4.3, so tried to side load my zip I created and that failed also. Will fool with it again tomorrow, unless someone that knows what they are doing is kind enough to help you out. I'm sure it pretty simple if you know what you are doing.
23rd June 2014, 06:17 AM |#41  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,641

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

That's why I haven't done it, cant test it
Quote:

I think I was able to make a zip but ran into a brick wall trying to test. Wasn't able to upgrade to 4.4.3, so tried to side load my zip I created and that failed also. Will fool with it again tomorrow, unless someone that knows what they are doing is kind enough to help you out. I'm sure it pretty simple if you know what you are doing.

Did you extract the zip or just edit the file with something like 7zip/winrar and notepad++?

You have to get the zip options correct (store not compress, and maybe something else?) or it wont open in recovery[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

I'm uploading a 4.4.2 zip that only has /system in it. none of the other partitions or the patch for the bootloader/recovery as you are already on the newest ones of these. I think this is the safest way to flash back to 4.4.2, but I think it may break OTAs if they are patch based like the 4.4.3 one was.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)