Post Reply Email Thread
6th August 2018, 03:00 PM |#11501  
Forum Moderator
Flag Deep Space Station K7
Thanks Meter: 3,088

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckredbeard

Seems like my device just started allowing ads everywhere about 2 days ago. I have made no changes through all of this. I am also getting the hosts file copy fail. Data saver is off, proxy is off in apn, several reboots, tried 3.2, 3.3, 4.0.6.

Wow I did not realize how many ads were being blocked until now. Now it is all I see!

start with basics;

did the /system/etc/hosts increase in size after applying? You can also compare the hosts file with Adaway disabled and them enabled in a browser by using a link like;

file:///system/etc/hosts

If the file doesn't change, then you need to figure out why it's not getting written. The "hosts copy fail" error suggests that you don't have write permission - systemless hosts in Magisk enabled? Depending on which installed version of Adaway we're now talking about, you may need to enable systemless hosts in both Magisk and Adaway.

If the Adaway enabled hosts file is populated, then try going to one of the entries in the hosts file in a browser; it should be blocked.

"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
6th August 2018, 03:16 PM |#11502  
Thanks Meter: 187

More
Looks like I can get to this one! https://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt. Tried to attach a screenshot of that.

I set systemless hosts to "on" in magisk manager but if I back out and go back in it set back to "off". Running Magisk 16.0 and manager 5.8.3. I am unable to set systemless in adaway, section is grayed out.

Using FX File, I am not seeing a system/etc/hosts folder.

Currently on adaway 3.3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180806-091555.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	4565964  
6th August 2018, 04:28 PM |#11503  
Forum Moderator

More
Quote:

Looks like I can get to this one! https://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt. Tried to attach a screenshot of that.

I set systemless hosts to "on" in magisk manager but if I back out and go back in it set back to "off". Running Magisk 16.0 and manager 5.8.3. I am unable to set systemless in adaway, section is grayed out.

Using FX File, I am not seeing a system/etc/hosts folder.

Currently on adaway 3.3.

Start by resolving the Magisk problem of getting systemless to stick. That is a prerequisite.

Please completely remove Adaway 3.3, reboot, then make sure Magisk systemless hosts is enabled, finally install Adaway 4.0.6 (yesterday's release).

Launch then apply Adaway and then reboot. Using the default hosts sources, access to "googleadservices.com" should be blocked in a browser.

If you continue to have problems, then please re-read my original response to you. I didn't ask if you could access one of the hosts sources, but rather, if the hosts file on your device is being modified, there will be (several) entries that are blocked. Can you access one of the entries in the device's hosts file?

BTW - /system/etc/hosts is a file not a directory

"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini
The Following User Says Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
6th August 2018, 05:14 PM |#11504  
Thanks Meter: 187

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

Start by resolving the Magisk problem of getting systemless to stick. That is a prerequisite.

Please completely remove Adaway 3.3, reboot, then make sure Magisk systemless hosts is enabled, finally install Adaway 4.0.6 (yesterday's release).

Launch then apply Adaway and then reboot. Using the default hosts sources, access to "googleadservices.com" should be blocked in a browser.

If you continue to have problems, then please re-read my original response to you. I didn't ask if you could access one of the hosts sources, but rather, if the hosts file on your device is being modified, there will be (several) entries that are blocked. Can you access one of the entries in the device's hosts file?

BTW - /system/etc/hosts is a file not a directory

After uninstalling adaway and rebooting, I saw that systemless stayed enabled in magisk.

I installed adaway 4.0.6 and enabled, then rebooted. Double checked magisk - still enabled.

Tried googleadservices.com - blocked!

Launched apps that had recent history of ads - NO ADS!

Thank you for your help and supporting the community!

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Wonder what made this all get out of order and start showing ads…
6th August 2018, 08:44 PM |#11505  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Good afternoon,
Maybe it's already answered, if so, I'm sorry.
These latest versions (4.X.X), are they betas or are they stable?

Regards.

Enviado desde mi unknown mediante Tapatalk
6th August 2018, 08:49 PM |#11506  
Thanks Meter: 661

More
See post 11497

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ch3vr0n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ch3vr0n Ad-Free
6th August 2018, 10:28 PM |#11507  
Forum Moderator

More
Quote:

After uninstalling adaway and rebooting, I saw that systemless stayed enabled in magisk.

I installed adaway 4.0.6 and enabled, then rebooted. Double checked magisk - still enabled.

Tried googleadservices.com - blocked!

Launched apps that had recent history of ads - NO ADS!

Thank you for your help and supporting the community!

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

Wonder what made this all get out of order and start showing ads…

Briefly, I suspect your Magisk install experienced a random hiccup. Magisk does this periodically. The 16.0 stable causes my device to periodically bootloop on a reboot. 16.7 beta hasn't had a problem so far.

Since the actual "/system/etc/hosts" file is never touched (thus the systemless install), and the file actually resides in a Magisk directory and is symbolically linked on top of the system copy. If Magisk wacks out, the symbolic link is lost and the non-modified copy is used instead.

6th August 2018, 11:17 PM |#11508  
Flag Area 51.2
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4711

It looks for me that on one device you used a version signed by another key (perhaps the f-droid version). And after deinstalling it and installing the new version it could be missing the storage permission - so it is crashing when trying to import your lists. Perhaps (revoking and) granting "storage" permission would solve your problem.

Thank you but no I am not missing the storage permission or I wouldn't even be able to select the file.
7th August 2018, 12:39 AM |#11509  
Thanks Meter: 1,640

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianUSMC

Thank you but no I am not missing the storage permission or I wouldn't even be able to select the file.

What devices and ROMs are you running on each device? Did I miss that?
7th August 2018, 03:30 AM |#11510  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 2,399

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianUSMC

You only require read permissions to see a file, but write permissions to modify it. And that would possibly be different between your file manager where you select the file, and what is allowed to AdAWay.

Forgive me if its been covered, as I have not followed your issues closely, but have you tried checking your logcat for a hint?
The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJohn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DiamondJohn Ad-Free
7th August 2018, 07:37 AM |#11511  
Thanks Meter: 553

More
When was the last update of adaway host files occurs ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)