New Joying Android 5.1.1 2GB Units available very soon !

Search This thread

yonif

Apr 4, 2014
Hello,

I found 2 new videos on youtube showing the 2 next Android 5.1.1 2G units from Joying (Boy Ka channel).

Joying announces a release date for october 10th.

The standard universal one (8 inches, 2 din) :

and the single din 10.1 inches :

I hope that they will release a dedicated unit for VW (with knobs for volume) and I will get one.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
No evidence exists that these are 2gb units and when requested to produce a video the response is "some time", "later", "trust us" etc. Poster claims these are intel units and again no evidence. Suggest marketing is in action until supplier produces reliable information.

nomailing

Jan 5, 2014
They have a lot of units on Aliexpress listed as 2GB RAM for a long time now. I asked if these are really 2GB RAM and they said it is an error. I suggested that they correct the listing but I guess that still didn't happen....

Sent from my SM-N910F using XDA-Developers mobile app

HVB83

Jan 4, 2006
It is strange indeed, Joying has lied about these specs before, so that's nothing new. However the unit does appear to be very responsive, so I take that as a good sign. Let's wait and see what they come back with on October 10th and I'm hoping they come up with a unit for the Sprinter/Crafter... :D

raptor18

Feb 16, 2007
I do not doubt joying a second what they specify. The system looks extremely responsive. Probably totally true that it is a intel cpu with 2 gb ram.

sterod

Aug 27, 2012
Toronto
OMG. Looks like some redesign on the UI. Android Gingerbread called and said they wanted their icons back....

Yeah, no kidding. I actually bought one these from Joying, specifically their 10" Unit MTCD based unit running 5.1.1 thinking it would be an "upgrade" from my NewsMy CarPad 2S. Boy was I wrong. These units only have 2 advantages over the NewsMy. The RDS works and they are available in a 10" screen. In every other way, they are inferior to the NewsMy. The worst part is that the Internal Bluetooth adapter communicates via the MCU only. It is not visible to android, so any apps that need to talk to BT devices, such as my radar detector, don't work. The NewsMy was better because it had dual bluetooth adapters to get around this problem. Even the custom ROM maker, Malaysk can't fix this because he has tried and failed to inject generic USB bluetooth drivers into the rom to run dual bluetooth. So, now I am at an empass. Do I put my NU3001 back in and give up RDS and the 10" screen, or wait for this "new" Joying unit in the YouTube video that runs Intel SoC to see if they fixed the bluetooth problem...... I also emailed Summer at NewsMy asking if they are working on a new CarPad IV, hopefully with a bigger screen but no replies....... Don't know which way to go.

nomailing

Jan 5, 2014
Interesting, in the 8" video he mentions at minute 3:40 that the first boot takes about 20 seconds, but that the second time it starts it just needs 10 seconds, and at the end of the video he shows how it goes up from standby in just 1 second. What type of boot is he referring to with the 10 seconds. Is he referring to 10 seconds boot time also when the car was off for a few days? That would be awesome, but I guess this is again just Joying marketing...

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
NZ
I contacted the Aliexpress reseller (not Joying, Joying wont provide information at this time) and I have receieved the following attached picture. The picture indicates 2GB with Intel processor and oddly enough MTCD - see attached. I have requested further information.

CadillacMike

Apr 13, 2016
Louisville, KY
I contacted the Aliexpress reseller (not Joying, Joying wont provide information at this time) and I have receieved the following attached picture. The picture indicates 2GB with Intel processor and oddly enough MTCD - see attached. I have requested further information.

Who normally has HCT in their MCU? Like Joying has "JY" in theirs, some have K something, don't recall seeing HCT

sterod

Aug 27, 2012
Toronto
The one I got reports an Intel cpu quad core
Would you be willing to do me an enormous favor? I have been struggling with the joying MTCD unit since April because one of the applications I need does not work. Specifically an app named alpconnect which I will link below that communicates with my radar detector via Bluetooth. The reason it will not work is because on MTCD head units the internal Bluetooth adapter communicates through the MCU and not Android itself. So when I open this app, after I accept the license agreement, it states that bluetooth is off when in reality it is on and then when you click allow it will crash. I would very much appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to try to install this free application and let me know what happens after you run it, accept the license agreement, and tell me if it also says that bluetooth is off or if it starts scanning and looking for the Bluetooth module, which would mean it is working. Thank you very much.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...KVL8EcmprmQkowJbQ&sig2=IGiUT9HjxTJLkVgR3KhafQ

Reactions: marchnz

leonkernan

Mar 5, 2015
Melbourne

So basically they've kept the MCU setup and swapped out the ARM board for an Intel version.
Easily doable since the communication between the two chips is just a serial port.

Add Android x86 and apply the custom apps and away you go.

This unit might be interesting though, potentially able to run any OS that runs on Intel. That includes Linux, AOSP android or even Windows!

leonkernan

Mar 5, 2015
Melbourne
I Googled the build string in that screenshot and this came up:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/7-inch-Intel-Sophia-3GR-C3230_60334463213.html

So I'm guessing the new units have a CPU similar to an Intel Atom x3 c3230
https://software.intel.com/en-us/bl...atom-x3-code-named-sofia-soc-processor-series

Architectures and Specifications

The Intel® Atom™ x3-C3440 processor includes a 64-bit quad-core Intel® Atom™ CPU and an integrated 4G LTE 5-band modem. The upgraded video can provide 1080p HD playback. The Mali T720 MP2 GPU supports Open GL ES 3.0 and DirectX 9.3.

Interesting regarding Rockchip's involvement:

The Intel® Atom™ x3-C3230RK processor, a collaboration between Intel and Rockchip*, includes a quad-core 64-bit Intel® Atom™ CPU and an integrated 3G modem. Figure 3 describes this SKU’s high level architecture.

Specification-updated.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I spent a couple of hours re-decorating the radio app from the new Joying JY-UL135N2. I didn't like the blue and red seems to go better with the interior lights of my car. I'm kind of new here, and wasn't sure if I should post the apk here or a different thread. If interested, let me know and I will share. Any suggestions on improvements welcome!

I had a couple of people ask me to post the apk file for the red radio. I now have 2 versions, the first was a bit too much red. To update the stock radio, you need to replace the existing system apk ( /system/app/JY-1-C9-Radio-V1.0/JY-1-C9-Radio-V1.0.apk ) and reboot. You want to make a copy of the original one, just in case you want to change back.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4qmTV7N4Jliazk1Mkc5TFhJbFE
    Joying 2GB - Source button mod - Google Voice Command

I am working on a modification to the code (Joying 2gb). I am remapping the 'Source' button to bring up google voice. This should work both with the 'Source' button mapped to on the steering wheel and physical 'Source' button on the unit if it has one.

I was really annoyed with the 'source' button was essentially worthless, plus no way to activate google voice from the steering wheel. Hence the idea to reuse the 'source' key for google voice actions. The way the code is written it would be very difficult to change what programs are rotated through with the current source button, but shutting some off looks doable.

If anyone has any interest I can post the apk file and explain the code change.

As mentioned previously, here is a modification to change 'Source' button to invoke "google voice" commands. This can then be assigned on the steering wheel to call up google voice easily while driving. It also changes the behaviour of the 'SRC' hard button on the front of the unit. Please note, you must have an internet connection for google voice commands to work.

The apk file "Sofia-1-C9-Server-V1.0.apk" is a system file. You must have root access to install this modificaton. Please be sure to make a copy of the original file, in case you want to revert back. This has been tested on the January 5 release on the Joying JY-UL135N2.

I used ADB to install the file using the following commands:

adb push Sofia-1-C9-Server-V1.0.apk /sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    cd /system/app/Sofia-1-C9-Server-V1.0
    mv Sofia-1-C9-Server-V1.0.apk Sofia-1-C9-Server-V1.0.apk.orig
    cp /sdcard/Sofia-1-C9-Server-V1.0.apk .
    chmod 644 Sofia-1-C9-Server-V1.0.apk
    reboot

Assign steering wheel button 'SRC' to a key. Enjoy google voice without taking your eyes off the road!

You can easily back out the change by copying the original file back into place and rebooting.

Attached files:
    google_voice_search.zip - Original apk file
    NoKill_google_voice_search.zip - Updated to remove task killer on standby.
    NoKill_google_voice_search_031417.zip - Updated to March 14, 2017 ROM - also includes Navigation TTS patch for radio from @surfer63
    No offense, but can we get away from cars and speedometer and whatever and get back to the newer Joying units
    First, update the unit to the January Update, then root it. Then install Titanium Backup and Nova Launcher (or a launcher of your choice). Open Titanium, setup the storage location (in Preferences) to your external SD Card (Formatted as Fat32) and backup all the apps (including system apps). Then freeze BOTH stock launchers and any other apps you don't want. Since they are backed up, you could uninstall them if you want. Now you can set up your UI however you want. Here's mine as an example:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_EZzFL4XjdLSkZwTEhibmdNTHc

Once you have the UI setup to your liking, backup all the new apps with Titanium Backup. Be sure to set NOVA to use Night mode (darkens the screen at sundown). Then do a backup of your NOVA Launcher to the External SD card. Now, if you have to update the firmware again (and you will), It'll only take a few minutes to get it the way you want it after the update. :cool:
    Here's the info off my unit ..working good so far ..I wanted to know how to root and back this thing up..also if I tried to root and something went wrong how could I restore..