[REF] UPDATE: ALL GOVERNORS! :) Save battery while running ANY Android build

Search This thread

Shatterv2

Oct 13, 2009
As android builds are getting more and more closer to being daily builds, one of the standing issues that remains is battery life.
This thread is where posts concerning How to Save battery should go. NOT Questions, but suggestions. If your suggestion is one to look into, it will be added to the OP.

UPDATE: You can now use ALL GOVERNORS For the CPU!​
(Read more to find out how) :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SetCPU

SetCPU, is an app more commonly used for over/under clocking devices.
This short tutorial will show you how you get the app,
get it running, and of course save battery!​

*YOU NEED A ROOTFS.IMG THAT GRANTS YOU ROOT ACCESS!*

1. Get SetCPU

A. Download it from *HERE*. (The only XDA thread I could find for it)

OR

B. Support this great application and get it from the Android market by searching for SetCPU.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Getting the App working

1. Once you have the application installed, launch it from your drawer and either grant it Root Permissions or it may auto-configure.

2. Hit Auto Detect Speeds.

3. It should show you the speeds your device it currently running at, now move over to [Profiles] and click Enable and if you want click on Notification.

3. Make your profiles

1. Sleep Profile - 384 Max/245 Min- Interactive setting
(It may seem high, but this keeps it so that your device wakes up quickly)

2. Battery < 30
Max 614/460 Min- Interactive/Conservative Setting

*Try out the SetCPU Widget!*

If you have any personal settings that you think might be better than these please do post!

UPDATE 9/15
ALL CPU Governors!

To use the modules use this kernel built from the GIT, and hit auto detect speeds on SetCPU again. Under the main tab choose Your preferred setting..

You can find what all the the kernels differ in in the further pages of this thread, I will update OP later. :)
Advanced Tab

20000 Sampling Rate

30-50 Up Threshold (THIS IS THE KEY: This means when your CPU load hits 30%, it will scale up the mhz. If the phone still responds too slow for your taste, set this lower)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=777921

Check Set on Boot (And Apply)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turning off Background Services and Adjusting Brightness

Things like Bluetooth, WiFi, Sync, GPS, and excessive brightness can really kill your battery.

A quick way to manage these settings is to hold down to add a widget on your home screen and choose [Power Widget].
This stock widget allows you to quickly see the service's your using, and the farthest one to your right allows you to switch between four brightness settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using that new kernel link provided, you'll get a nice boost in standby time too! :D Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: jstef

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Additional battery saving tips:

* Don't use a live wallpapers
* Turn off 3G connectivity (Eclair-based ROMS need apps like APNDroid to do so)
* Turn off Background-enabled data transfers in the Sync page.

Reactions: Shatterv2

VJmac15

Sep 13, 2009
Sicklerville
the app screebl is a battery saver for whenever you have your screen on.

MOD EDIT:
Screebl Pro is a PAID FOR APP..

Link deleted and warning given please do not post warez in the future.

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

reocej

Mar 14, 2009
SetCPU forcecloses on me with dan's froyo without sense. Anybody get this combo to work for them? Also, I did replace the rootfs file.

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
SetCPU forcecloses on me with dan's froyo without sense. Anybody get this combo to work for them? Also, I did replace the rootfs file.

Yeah, I'm using SetCPU 2.01 with Dan's v1 vanilla froyo fine. When set to use "ondemand" CPU Governor and Autodetect speeds, getting much better battery life - it's only dropping ~1% every hour now :) EDIT: when idle, of course

Last edited:

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Next thing (when I get around to it) is probably to try out the Conservative CPU Governor module... that will correctly scale CPU power according to load (ie. 245mhz => 384, etc) instead of like On Demand, where it jumps from 245mhz => 998mhz => lower....

Shatterv2

Oct 13, 2009
My favorite Ap Right now: Advanced Task Killer - you can find it on market for free. With this you can kill tasks who run in backround etc.

Use Taskiller. Red Icon in the market. Free App is the exact same as the paid one. Kills tasks as well but detects tasks that ATK cant. Includes features like End apps once screen turns off and kill all apps 10sec's after boot. Great App IMO. :)

maseo

Aug 9, 2007
Nieuw-Vennep
I've found out that JuiceDefender does a good job as well. If you buy the extension (UltraDefender?) it also has a CPU governer module which regulates your CPU speed based on usage.

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
I've found out that JuiceDefender does a good job as well. If you buy the extension (UltraDefender?) it also has a CPU governer module which regulates your CPU speed based on usage.

No need to pay - as I mentioned before, the "conservative" cpu governor module that is freely available (do a search!) will do exactly what you mentioned when used with SetCPU.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As android builds are getting more and more closer to being daily builds, one of the standing issues that remains is battery life.
    This thread is where posts concerning How to Save battery should go. NOT Questions, but suggestions. If your suggestion is one to look into, it will be added to the OP.

UPDATE: You can now use ALL GOVERNORS For the CPU!​
    (Read more to find out how) :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SetCPU

SetCPU, is an app more commonly used for over/under clocking devices.
    This short tutorial will show you how you get the app,
    get it running, and of course save battery!​

*YOU NEED A ROOTFS.IMG THAT GRANTS YOU ROOT ACCESS!*

1. Get SetCPU

A. Download it from *HERE*. (The only XDA thread I could find for it)

OR

B. Support this great application and get it from the Android market by searching for SetCPU.

2. Getting the App working

1. Once you have the application installed, launch it from your drawer and either grant it Root Permissions or it may auto-configure.

2. Hit Auto Detect Speeds.

3. It should show you the speeds your device it currently running at, now move over to [Profiles] and click Enable and if you want click on Notification.

3. Make your profiles

1. Sleep Profile - 384 Max/245 Min- Interactive setting

2. Battery < 30
    Max 614/460 Min- Interactive/Conservative Setting

*Try out the SetCPU Widget!*

If you have any personal settings that you think might be better than these please do post!

UPDATE 9/15
    ALL CPU Governors!

To use the modules use this kernel built from the GIT, and hit auto detect speeds on SetCPU again. Under the main tab choose Your preferred setting..

You can find what all the the kernels differ in in the further pages of this thread, I will update OP later. :)
    Advanced Tab

20000 Sampling Rate

30-50 Up Threshold (THIS IS THE KEY: This means when your CPU load hits 30%, it will scale up the mhz. If the phone still responds too slow for your taste, set this lower)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=777921

Check Set on Boot (And Apply)

Turning off Background Services and Adjusting Brightness

Things like Bluetooth, WiFi, Sync, GPS, and excessive brightness can really kill your battery.

A quick way to manage these settings is to hold down to add a widget on your home screen and choose [Power Widget].
    This stock widget allows you to quickly see the service's your using, and the farthest one to your right allows you to switch between four brightness settings.

Using that new kernel link provided, you'll get a nice boost in standby time too! :D Enjoy!
    Additional battery saving tips:

* Don't use a live wallpapers
    * Turn off 3G connectivity (Eclair-based ROMS need apps like APNDroid to do so)
    * Turn off Background-enabled data transfers in the Sync page.
    3. Make your profiles

1. Sleep Profile - 460 Max/245 Min- User space setting

2. Battery < 30
    Max 614/460 Min- On-demand Setting

I would actually recommend slightly different settings. Instead of allowing the min to go so high, scale up the threshold so the CPU doesn't wait so long to speed up. By default, setCPU waits until the CPU is under 95% load before scaling up, which is what causes that delay resuming from sleep, rotating the browser, or loading an email. I leave mine at 245 in sleep, but as soon as I hit the power button, the CPU scales up.

Here are my settings, which are working great for long battery life on mattc's RC1.2:

Main Tab:
    • 998Mhz Max
    • 245Mhz Min
    • Ondemand Scaling
    • Check Set on Boot

Profile Tab:
    • Check Enable
    • Check Notifications
    • Screen Off Profile
      • 245 Max
      • 245 Min
      • Ondemand Governor
      • Priority 100
    • Battery < 25% Profile
      • 652 Max
      • 245 Min
      • Ondemand Governor
      • Priority 0

Advanced Tab:
    • 20000 Sampling Rate
    • 30 Up Threshold (THIS IS THE KEY: This means when your CPU load hits 30%, it will scale up the mhz. If the phone still responds too slow for your taste, set this lower)
    • 0 Ignore Nice
    • 0 Powersave
    • Check Set on Boot (And Apply)

Try these out and see if you want to put them in the main post.

Thanks.
    Get currentwidget and log your power draw, with 3g on, all other stuff off 3mA is normal standby consumption, background data and sync as well as imap should draw just some peaks...

Suggestion would be to try it a day without and then compare your logs.

I switch to 3g only when using the phone for more than 2min, that saves you easily 10% a day, and wont bother your use.

Edit: with widgetsoid you can place a switch for this on your desktop

Sent from my HD2 using XDA App
    Yep killingroad, thats right,

without peaks you calculated correctly, maybe add 1% selfdischarging. Means your (whatever) background services are on heavy load. What you could try is after finishing install and before going to bed is to restart the phone and next morning watch the android power draw statistics. Doesnt offer application exact consumption, but offers atleast an idea. Btw. I am using Hyperdroid.

Edit:
    About 3g, I use a widget switch, makes it easy to change if you know u will spend some time in net/netservices now. Try it, you wont miss anything, except of the power draw (which is an allabout 3g problem)

Sent from my HD2 using XDA App