Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus running HOT - anyone else?

Search This thread

FloridaPhil

Jul 17, 2011
Tampa Bay
Love this tablet but this last few days it has started to get really warm on occasion.

On the left side, about an inch in from the SD card slot, the temperature really builds up quickly starting first on the back of the device and eventually getting so hot on the glass it becomes uncomfortable to hold and to swipe. I've seen 48 degrees!

I have noticed this happening when using Dolphin HD browser and particularly if Skype is running in the background.

I wiped the tab, didn't reinstall from market and just loaded Dolphin and it didn't make any difference.

I'm guessing faulty device since there are only a few isolated reports of this online.

Reactions: gilgomez

mohawkx

Nov 27, 2011
Love this tablet but this last few days it has started to get really warm on occasion.

On the left side, about an inch in from the SD card slot, the temperature really builds up quickly starting first on the back of the device and eventually getting so hot on the glass it becomes uncomfortable to hold and to swipe. I've seen 48 degrees!

I have noticed this happening when using Dolphin HD browser and particularly if Skype is running in the background.

I wiped the tab, didn't reinstall from market and just loaded Dolphin and it didn't make any difference.

I'm guessing faulty device since there are only a few isolated reports of this online.

Really strange, Phil. Based on your recommendation in "other" forums I turned in my Nook Tab and got a GTab7Plus and I'm just lovin it. Does everything I'd hoped it would do and more I haven't even figured out. So far, (knock on wood) I haven't gotten the Screen of Death nor has the unit gotten hot for any reason and I'm using dolphin browser exclusively. So......you may have a defective unit. Good luck.

FloridaPhil

Jul 17, 2011
Tampa Bay
Yeah, I think it was faulty. I took it back to Best Buy and they had not had any other returns for this issue.

Unfortunately they are also out of stock so I don't currently have a tablet at all! Seeing what is coming down the pike in the way of tablets I might just wait and see what transpires in the next 3 months. If I get antsy then I'll just pick up another GT7+ (or back to a Nook Tablet if the CM9 project advances quickly).

Also, do you see a color cast on yours at all? I noticed that when there was a white background, for instance reading a book on Kindle or Nook apps, the right lower side of the page had a warm tinge - pink/peach colored. It was quite irritating.

gilgomez

Dec 26, 2011
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
Having issues with Nook app opening my Nook ebooks.

Yeah, I think it was faulty. I took it back to Best Buy and they had not had any other returns for this issue.

Unfortunately they are also out of stock so I don't currently have a tablet at all! Seeing what is coming down the pike in the way of tablets I might just wait and see what transpires in the next 3 months. If I get antsy then I'll just pick up another GT7+ (or back to a Nook Tablet if the CM9 project advances quickly).

Also, do you see a color cast on yours at all? I noticed that when there was a white background, for instance reading a book on Kindle or Nook apps, the right lower side of the page had a warm tinge - pink/peach colored. It was quite irritating.

FloridaPhil:
I have received my 7+ and downloaded and installed the Nook and Kindle apps without a hitch. The Kindle books are fine but I seem to be having a problem opening my Nook books. Darn, I am in the midst of a great book and hate reading on my phone.

Any tips on how best to install and manage my Nook ebooks? And, I have a 32gb sd card which I haven't installed but plan to tonight. Will that make a difference? Should I "format" the card before installing on the 7+? How does that work?

Thanks a bunch! :)

wfellis

Feb 12, 2011
I noticed on the nook software that I needed to open the software and then reopen it before the book would load. Second time is a charm I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

rendler

Jul 9, 2008
Mine as well, in the same location as you specified too. Gets damn hot in that location with I'm using it in the car for navigating with Google Maps and it's plugged into the charger. Also in the same scenario the charge level is still going down and not up :(

aeon101

Jan 10, 2006
Prague
I' ve been using VTL Launcher and had some previous issues with my home wifi (couldn't reconnect so my tab was always trying to find it again and again). After resetting router and mainly uninstalling VTL Launcher my tab stopped to be hot and battery life increased rapidly. So I was almost decided tonreturn it due to this problems but since then everything is finally ok and start to enjoy this tab (previously had GT7 original and Note).
Regarding navigation with google maps- consider that there is also huge use of data amount so warmness is probable. I'm using Sygis Aura and has no problems with hottness and also not original car charger has enough power to charge on the roads.

gilgomez

Dec 26, 2011
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
So far haven't noticed the tab getting hot. Just trying to figure out how to use Kies. What a friggin nightmare! Why have they not simplified the Kies interface? It is so convoluted!

FloridaPhil

Jul 17, 2011
Tampa Bay
I' ve been using VTL Launcher and had some previous issues with my home wifi (couldn't reconnect so my tab was always trying to find it again and again). After resetting router and mainly uninstalling VTL Launcher my tab stopped to be hot and battery life increased rapidly. So I was almost decided tonreturn it due to this problems but since then everything is finally ok and start to enjoy this tab (previously had GT7 original and Note).
Regarding navigation with google maps- consider that there is also huge use of data amount so warmness is probable. I'm using Sygis Aura and has no problems with hottness and also not original car charger has enough power to charge on the roads.

Interesting - but mine was totally stock. Yeah, I had added a ton of apps but it was running regular TouchWizz. My little Nook Color running CM7 has exactly the same apps and doesn't even get warm.

akasan

Oct 2, 2010
what are you using kies for? my computer (win 7) didn't recognize my tab until
i installed kies, it also installed drivers so i can now transfer files

aeon101

Jan 10, 2006
Prague
To FloridaPhil: And how long is your battery life? Is wifi ok? Well I' ve noticed then, that our tab doesn't have still very apropriate task managing and this can be causeb exactly by this. Take a look in settings, applications and battery use...I couldn't believa my eyes but even I'm using good task manager with automatic shutndowns of slected apps, there are still huge amount of running apps that drain battery and may cause getting hot. Next thing as well was a fact, that even when wifi connection held perfectly, there was still word 'searching' each couple of seconds (take a look in wifinsettings...)- so next possible reason for getting warm...

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Next thing as well was a fact, that even when wifi connection held perfectly, there was still word 'searching' each couple of seconds (take a look in wifinsettings...)- so next possible reason for getting warm...
It's only searching because your at the wifi settings screen. If you are at the screen where different wifi networks can be selected, android (logically) thinks you might want to select a different network, so scans. If you STAY on that screen, it assumes you want to keep scanning (why else would you stay on that screen?)

This is something that all wifi enabled android devices do. It's NOT scanning every few seconds if you aren't on that specific settings screen...

Gary

aeon101

Jan 10, 2006
Prague
Thanks Gary for reasonable explanation, yes this is logical. I was just confused from this, cause not Galaxy Note, nor previous Tab or Streak was behaving like this. But is true that this is my first honeycomb machine and I may not realise this before or it had been different in settings.

gilgomez

Dec 26, 2011
Palm Beach Gardens, Fl.
I'm using Kies Air to wirelessly transfer and synch my contacts, calendar, etc....... Experimented and have transferred photos and some other files. Also worked using the USB cable and my Windows 7 recognized and installed drivers. It recognized the SD card as my E drive.

Regarding the heating up issue, so far I have not experienced this. The battery use is under control when I turn off all wireless when I leave my home.

Getting used to the Touchwiz interface but I also installed Go Launcher EX and use that sometimes.

Video playback is awesome on this little tab; last night I was watching movie trailers and was surprised with the sound as well. The Nook's sound was always a bit weak.

I installed an anti-glare screen film and it is awesome for reading. Doesn't detract from the beautiful display and the fonts are crisp.

Regarding opening my Nook books I realized that it worked as soon as I installed my SD card and I downloaded my books so I wouldn't have to deal with having a wireless connection to read my books.

Playing around with the wallpapers and customizing the Samsung screens and installed a super cool "steam punk skull" live wallpaper and it is amazing! Found it free via the Amazon app store....it is fantastic! I also found other beautiful live wallpapers via the Amazon app store including snow scenes.

The tab connected flawlessly to my Samsung Galaxy 4G T-Mobile phone's access point and used that to stream Pandora and download some Kindle books. It was done in my office which doesn't have the best T-Mobile network access and it was surprisingly fast and smooth. No stuttering of the music and emails and Facebook worked great.

I ordered the 6' long usb cable for the tab via Amazon and it has shipped; hopefully it is well matched and charges up the tab just as well as the stock 3' shortie cable. I noted other comments regarding the slow charging of the tab and found that turning off the wifi or simply shutting it down speeds up the charging dramatically.

So that is my report so far and let me say I am enjoying the 7+ tab immensely.

rendler

Jul 9, 2008
It got to 40C (104F) today while I was playing GTA. The device it's naked (no covers or anything). I'm going to take it to service centre next week :-(

rendler

Jul 9, 2008
You sure it's a normal thing (this temperature range)? I'm here in Thailand so the ambient temperature is hot to begin with, but the thing is; with prolonged used my hands get uncomfortable.

DevilBeyond

Jan 13, 2012
You sure it's a normal thing (this temperature range)? I'm here in Thailand so the ambient temperature is hot to begin with, but the thing is; with prolonged used my hands get uncomfortable.

So far im still comfortable with it and its not much of a problem to me, im using a case together with it so i cant really feel the heat.. You could try taking it in to where you bought it and see what they have to say ;D

rendler

Jul 9, 2008
So far im still comfortable with it nd its not much of a problem to me, im using a case together with it so i cant really feel the heat.. You could try taking it in to where you bought it and see what they have to say ;D

Just told my wife, she said her galaxy s2 gets hot as well, so I asked her to touch mine ;-)

She says it's about the same. So i really don't know what to think any more, but I'll take it in anyways just for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Really strange, Phil. Based on your recommendation in "other" forums I turned in my Nook Tab and got a GTab7Plus and I'm just lovin it. Does everything I'd hoped it would do and more I haven't even figured out. So far, (knock on wood) I haven't gotten the Screen of Death nor has the unit gotten hot for any reason and I'm using dolphin browser exclusively. So......you may have a defective unit. Good luck.

SOD problem potently solved!!! :D BY Joe Marshall

hey guys,
    Im Joe Marshall
    I have been running my g tab+ at 1600MHz from day one and then i got the SOD issue a week in:( i changed the firmware to XXKL7 and i use it a lot with high definition games and movies i have had no issues what so every from the firmware change its great now. i am still running at 1600MHz. do you think it could be a firmware issue or a faulty batch? my tab was originally a Honk Kong tab and i have changed the firmware to the XXKL7 European version with Odin v1.85. if anything i use it more now than i did before. I am yet to experience any issues so my conclusion would be the hardware accelerator in the other firmwares is messed up their for messing with the change in velocity in the g-tab. problem potently solved :D

if this worked for you please press thanks button :D:p