Working solution for random boot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

horndroid

Jan 30, 2012
San Francisco
So this morning I got a call from a friend who told me that his TF is running like crap after doing OTA upgrade to ICS.
We met up at school and I got to take a look at it. Yes, it was indeed running like crap and it even randomly rebooted while we were eating breakfast. He told me the random reboots were happening every 3-5 hours(that he could notice).

Here's what I did to fix it.

1. Removed his MicroSD card(not sure if necessary)
  2. Shut down TF.
  3. Hold [volume down] and [power] button together until you get into reset mode with 2 icons in the center of screen. Left icon is Wipe Data. Right icon is Cold boot. Right icon is selected by default.
  4. Press [volume down] to highlight the LEFT ICON, which is Wipe Data.
  5. Press [volume up] to confirm your selection
  6. Go through the process.
  7. Let your TF reboot.
  8. Shut down TF again.
  9. Hold [volume down] and [power] button together until you get into reset mode with 2 icons in the center of screen.
  10. You need to do cold boot. It's already selected by default so just wait like 10 seconds and it will happen automatically. Press [volume up] if you don't want to wait.
  11. Go through the process. Your TF will reboot afterwards.
  12. Done.

It has been over 24 hours and his TF has been running smooth without any glitches or any random reboot. I told him to let me know immediately if a random reboot happens again.

This is simple to do. Worth trying unless you can't read English.

Edit: I didn't include this at first because I thought it would be common sense for everyone but it apparently isn't....
DO NOT JUST RESTORE ALL YOUR PREVIOUS APPS AND WIDGETS YOU HAD FROM HONEYCOMB. THAT DEFEATS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF DOING A RESET AND PREVENTING APP INCOMPATIBILITY.

Last edited:

obsa

Jun 9, 2008
thnx man for sharing . I actually tried every thing to solve this issue but no luck , I'll try your as sson as i go home .

cholywell

Sep 20, 2011
Regina
twitter.com
This did indeed work for me as well. I tried this a couple days ago and I have yet to have any freezes or random reboots. I think that not restoring any backed up data, apps or settings is key to fixing the problem. I'm now very happy with ICS- burn in hell Honeycomb.

The-Nazgul

Dec 13, 2009
When you switch from a version like HC. This is what you exactly should do!
I did this and never experienced random reboots.
My Transformer is running since three days and everything works fine!

Edit:
Another quick hint:
If you want to work with Google Docs, you have to disable Forced Hardware Rendering!

billouetaudrey

Aug 25, 2008
I see on forum the problem is google+

So I removed google+... Wait and see...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

gkillerx

Mar 22, 2009
Sorry to say but this is not working, already done this since the minute it was out and still have so now and then a hang boot
(random reboots that hangs on the boot)

JesterOC

Feb 19, 2011
Giving it a try

I am experiencing random reboots after ICS

Wiped transformer, cold booted, and installed the following.

Adobe Reader
Dog Catcher

updated G+ and GMail but have not run it.

Charging now, I will let you know.

Previously I had wiped it and reinstalled all, disabled syncing, disabled location info, adjusted wi-fi settings, and added CPU throttle control obviously none worked.

JesterOC

Feb 19, 2011
It might have helped some people, but it did not help me. Unless it was dogcatcher.

5 or so minutes after unhooking it from the charger, I tried to wake it. And it was unresponsive. Was only able to wake it by holding down the vol down and power button at the same time.

I will kill off Dogcatcher and try again but it is not looking so good.

tweaked

Sep 12, 2008
Your Moms house
Google Pixel 4a
It might have helped some people, but it did not help me. Unless it was dogcatcher.

5 or so minutes after unhooking it from the charger, I tried to wake it. And it was unresponsive. Was only able to wake it by holding down the vol down and power button at the same time.

I will kill off Dogcatcher and try again but it is not looking so good.
why are you installing dogcatcher? And this does work.. do it again. Don't install your apps.enusre it dos not lock up before you install anything.... If it locks up before you install any apps then call Asus. If not start installing one app at a time. Wait after each install. Ensure that its not doing it, once you are sure install Another ....rinse/repeat....:cool:

JesterOC

Feb 19, 2011
I installed dogcatcher because I needed something to listen to on the way in to work. I have uninstalled it. But I doubt that is the issue.

I have had these sorts of reboots on my Transformer until the third or fourth Honeycomb update. But eventually they fixed it. I suspected this would happen again.

Considering that dogcatcher one of the most popular podcast apps on the market I suspect that there are many people with no problems using it just fine.

But since I need a podcast listener to be able to use the device as I want to, does anyone without issues have a podcast listener that they use?

JesterOC

Feb 19, 2011
2 hours into the last experiment and it died again while sleeping.

So that about sums it up. This procedure might help with some issues Transformer's are having but not all.

Recap. Wiped, cold booted, gmail setup, G+ updated still equals failure.

:(

Reactions: luna_c666

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
I love how horndroid 'solved' this issue and then goes on the belittle people who are still having it as 'stupid', and probably their own fault. Horndroid, I appreciate your attempt to contribute, but your attitude and stabbing-in-the-dark protocol is not becoming nor helpful to anyone. Definitive statements pertaining to ONE TF101 device that you own are quite naive, there are several different models, and until you have personal access to each model version you should advertise your 'solutions' as "worked for ME", and understand if it doesn't work with others it isn't THEIR fault..this is not a blanket solution for every device's reboot problems. In fact, I am willing to bet the reboots being resolved by this method are of an entirely different genesis than the reboots that I and others are experiencing (hang-boots).

Wdustin1

Nov 19, 2010
Wichita, KS
I hear what you are saying I have the reboot issue as well.

I did a reset before and after and only installed xda HD and ran it for 2 days and got 3 reboots so I did the cold boot and then it did it 2 more times that day. Earlier today I almost couldn't get out of the boot loop, so I wouldn't say its a app problem its something wrong with the firmware somewhere

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

Last edited by a moderator:

rxnelson

Aug 30, 2011
Some aren't too lazy we just don't want to wipe data after every update. I think i have gotten 4? OTA updates and 2 of them screwed up deep sleep while docked. Guess what the first trouble shooting step was...wipe data. Guess what worked...the next OTA. I don't have time to read through all the different threads on the same subject but are people that flashed through cmw instead of ota having the same issue? My buddy went this route and has no issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
Can't read horndroid's "advice", because I have him on ignore for trolling, and have done for ages. From the tone of other posts here, it seems the "solution" is to wipe; if that's actually the case, it's total BS.

I wiped immediately before upgrading to ICS, wiped again afterwards, and have put almost no programs back on. I am and always have been on stock firmware and unrooted. I had no problems with boot loops, no problems with lockups, and only extremely rare problems with spontaneous reboots using Honeycomb. With ICS, I have had all three problems in a matter of days, and the lockups / spontaneous reboots are fairly regular (1-2 times per day.)

This is a problem with the stock rom, not a user app problem.

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
Can't read horndroid's "advice", because I have him on ignore for trolling, and have done for ages. From the tone of other posts here, it seems the "solution" is to wipe; if that's actually the case, it's total BS.

I wiped immediately before upgrading to ICS, wiped again afterwards, and have put almost no programs back on. I am and always have been on stock firmware and unrooted. I had no problems with boot loops, no problems with lockups, and only extremely rare problems with spontaneous reboots using Honeycomb. With ICS, I have had all three problems in a matter of days, and the lockups / spontaneous reboots are fairly regular (1-2 times per day.)

This is a problem with the stock rom, not a user app problem.

I reported him for verbal abuse and foul language. His attitude is not helpful, and if I were a mod he'd be gone already to think long and hard about his conduct. Anyways, taken your advice and blocked him. It is obviously an issue with the ROM, I'm beginning to think it has something to do with deep sleep, others posited that it may be media scanner, maybe combination of both? Maybe these two events are trying to happen at once and it doesn't like it.. a stab in the dark at least..

horndroid

Jan 30, 2012
San Francisco
I reported him for verbal abuse and foul language. His attitude is not helpful, and if I were a mod he'd be gone already to think long and hard about his conduct. Anyways, taken your advice and blocked him. It is obviously an issue with the ROM, I'm beginning to think it has something to do with deep sleep, others posited that it may be media scanner, maybe combination of both? Maybe these two events are trying to happen at once and it doesn't like it.. a stab in the dark at least..

It's hilarious how you think YOUR problem is the only problem that everyone is experiencing.
For a lot of people, it was the app incompatibility that was causing them issues.
Obviously you think your problems are caused by something different, but that doesn't mean there are different problems caused by other reasons.

While all of you are speculating, at least I've posted a solution(even though it's merely doing a data wipe and cold boot, pretty much common sense) that has been proven to work for a lot of people. I've never claimed it will work for everyone; just those having problems due to app incompatibility.

Last edited:

st0nedpenguin

Jun 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the update itself and all these "fixes" are going to be pointless in a little while when an actual fix is released by Asus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So this morning I got a call from a friend who told me that his TF is running like crap after doing OTA upgrade to ICS.
    We met up at school and I got to take a look at it. Yes, it was indeed running like crap and it even randomly rebooted while we were eating breakfast. He told me the random reboots were happening every 3-5 hours(that he could notice).

Here's what I did to fix it.

1. Removed his MicroSD card(not sure if necessary)
    2. Shut down TF.
    3. Hold [volume down] and [power] button together until you get into reset mode with 2 icons in the center of screen. Left icon is Wipe Data. Right icon is Cold boot. Right icon is selected by default.
    4. Press [volume down] to highlight the LEFT ICON, which is Wipe Data.
    5. Press [volume up] to confirm your selection
    6. Go through the process.
    7. Let your TF reboot.
    8. Shut down TF again.
    9. Hold [volume down] and [power] button together until you get into reset mode with 2 icons in the center of screen.
    10. You need to do cold boot. It's already selected by default so just wait like 10 seconds and it will happen automatically. Press [volume up] if you don't want to wait.
    11. Go through the process. Your TF will reboot afterwards.
    12. Done.

It has been over 24 hours and his TF has been running smooth without any glitches or any random reboot. I told him to let me know immediately if a random reboot happens again.

This is simple to do. Worth trying unless you can't read English.

Edit: I didn't include this at first because I thought it would be common sense for everyone but it apparently isn't....
    DO NOT JUST RESTORE ALL YOUR PREVIOUS APPS AND WIDGETS YOU HAD FROM HONEYCOMB. THAT DEFEATS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF DOING A RESET AND PREVENTING APP INCOMPATIBILITY.
    2 hours into the last experiment and it died again while sleeping.

So that about sums it up. This procedure might help with some issues Transformer's are having but not all.

Recap. Wiped, cold booted, gmail setup, G+ updated still equals failure.

:(
    Truly spoken like someone who is too lazy or dumb to do anything himself.
    Then pretty much half the threads on this forum is pointless right? Why try to discuss anything when you can just wait for Asus to release patches.

Because I have better things to do with my time than don a tin foil hat and start trying to fix my tablet using ridiculous "fixes" that don't even work.

But hey, keep up the nerd rage there kid, maybe that'll fix it all.