Bluetooth Car Stereo - JVC KDX50BT

Search This thread

mrtraveler

Dec 24, 2010
I agree ;)

Still loving mine. ID3 tags don't always work depending on the ROM / build, but who cares. (Pandora mode always shows artist and song info, and I know what's on my phone)

Received, Installed and Enjoying it. I don’t have tags but then again I’m only streaming Audio using my TuneIn Radio app and I’m happy enough with that.

Glad I got it. :good:

Aganar

Jan 7, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Looks like a nearby Best Buy has it. May have to see what they charge to install it and/or if it will require any extra crap to work with my car. Might just go for it.

JamesEh408

Apr 20, 2012
San Jose
It's $118 on Cruthcfield now...BestBuy has it for $99...Thanks for the post...I think I am gonna go for the gusto and buy this one.

Though I would post this for anyone looking for bluetooth car options. I've been using this deck for the past week and love it. For years I used FM Transmitters, but after breaking/losing/etc several and not loving the sound quality, I bought a deck with auxillary input. That was fine, but still wires everywhere (especially when charging).

I purchased and installed the JVC KDX50BT. It is their entry level bluetooth deck, and does not have a CD player. Thats fine for me. I drive a Jeep and the CD players always end up getting dust inside and stop working after a few years (and I never use them). I ordered from Crutchfield for $100 shipped: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html?tp=5684

In short, I love it. The bluetooth streaming audio sounds great, and although its hard to do an A/B comparison, I believe it is better quality than the old deck with auxillary in. Bass seems to not distort at higher volumes as much as the auxillary in. This would make sense if the stereo itself is doing the digital processing. It also shows the current song information. This is "BT Audio" mode, and will basically stream whatever audio you are currently playing from any app.

It also has Pandora capabilities. This is called "BT Pandora" mode and it will display your current station info. Even better, you can thumbs up or thumbs down a track from the deck itself. When you do this, the Pandora app recognizes this and displays a screen that does not allow user input from the phone. It is kind of annoying as I plan to put in a car mount and wouldn't mind being able to see the album art. On the other hand, I have put in about 3 hours of listening so far (off and on) and haven't had a commercial yet, so I'm not complaining too much! I was going to upgrade Pandora but now I may not need to.

There is also an external microphone you can mount anywhere in your car to use for calls. I haven't used it much but initial reports from my friends are that sound quality for the other party is good.

It isn't completely bug free with my Epic Touch (Running Mijj's Blend ICS right now). Sometimes it will switch over to the Pandora mode in the middle of a song without me telling it to. This is annoying, but it is quick to switch from Pandora mode. It doesn't always display the current song information correctly in BT audio mode, but most of the songs I'm streaming from my phone I don't need to know the title. It does not show song info from Spotify. It also will not display info from my podcast player (beyondpod) but I don't really care about that. The stock music apps seem to work best for song info.

I am guessing many of these issues are with the Bluetooth protocol and the way our phones handle it. It could also be the fact I am using a custom ROM rather than stock. All issues are minor annoyances.

Other pros:
-You can change the colors of the display to pretty much anything you want, and have different schemes for night and day.
-Easy to pair.
-Two USB inputs (front and rear) but if you are using bluetooth, one of these will be taken up by the JVC USB Bluetooth adapter.
-USB inputs are 1.0mA rather than the standard 0.5mA for faster charging. (I still use my car charger as it is positioned better for my needs)
-Radio does seem to have great reception; finding quite a few more stations that my old deck.

Other cons:
-Radio station presets awkward to use... you have to "scroll" through them rather than just hitting button 1-6. I've been playing with the bluetooth too much to really get used to it.

Meh:
-I also have a set of bluetooth headphones. If I am listening to the headphones and get into the Jeep, I have to either turn off the headphones before turning on the stereo, or manually connect in the bluetooth settings menu. As far as I know this is a bluetooth limitation and not the fault of the deck. It would be sweet to have it transfer automatically to the new source when it finds it, but not sure this is possible regardless of the setup.
-There is a JVC app that allows some touch based controls on your phone. I haven't used it much but it does seem to work OK.

All of that aside, the real reason I bought it was for the ease of getting into my Jeep with my phone in my pocket, having the phone automatically connect and begin streaming high quality audio to the stereo within about 30 seconds of the car starting (it takes a moment for the phone to connect). On short drives the phone doesn't even leave my pocket. So far, I couldn't be any happier with the results I am getting, especially for $100.

................And I just found the following deal that gets it down to $81 shipped. That sucks for me, but even at $100 it is a steal!
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/698...AQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNE28H5hsYS9gz484lxxo97Nukzipw

mrtraveler

Dec 24, 2010
Received, Installed and Enjoying it. I don’t have tags but then again I’m only streaming Audio using my TuneIn Radio app and I’m happy enough with that.

Glad I got it. :good:

Well I found one annoyance but I can live with it. When you are streaming media (music) connected by Bluetooth and you turn your vehicle off for some reason when you start your vehicle the phone connects but the display shows No Media De (assuming Device). The phones does connect I've verified this by making a call but there's no streaming music. The music that I am streaming is playing through the phones speaker and to fix it I have to turn the Bluetooth off on my phone and back on and as soon as I do that the music is going through vehicles speakers again. Like I said I can live with it, just have to be ready each time I turn the vehicle off.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this please let me know.

latinmaxima

Mar 8, 2010
I have had it happen from time to time but not lately. What Rom are you on?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

urinsane

Feb 28, 2006
Maui
If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this please let me know.
Only fixes I have found so far require extra steps for you:
- turn off Bluetooth auto connect on the stereo. You will have to manually connect through the Bluetooth settings menu on your phone each time. I use a tasker widget to do this automatically.

Or:
- turn off Bluetooth on your phone each time before starting your car. You will need to turn on Bluetooth manually once car is running.

I use the first option because I use a Bluetooth stereo headset as well and don't like to bother with turning Bluetooth on and off.

It is annoying but I'm not sure if it is an issue with the deck or the phone. I'm using a galaxy nexus with a jelly bean build, but had the same issue months ago when I still had my epic touch as well. Would be interesting to see how an iPhone performs... might have to try a friends. I assume it is the deck itself, as I believe factory (Acura at least) Bluetooth decks don't have that issue.

To clarify, the issue appears when you let the phone connect to the deck while your car is powering only accessories and have not fully started the car. Once the car starts there is a break in the power to the deck, and somehow the connection gets messed up. As mentioned, the phone and deck will generally still indicate they are connected, but audio does not stream.

Last edited:

mrtraveler

Dec 24, 2010
I have had it happen from time to time but not lately. What Rom are you on?

As far as my GNex goes I'm stock, well 4.1.1 no rooting, bootloader unlock anything. As for the Stereo I updated the firmware to the latest that available on the website shortly after installing the radio. Now I'm kinda sorry that I didn't really test it out before updating the firmware. It's strange that the voice BT icon shows connected right away but the audio BT icon doesn't come on. It connects right away when I first start the car in the morning, the issue only comes up if I stop at a gas station and turn the car off for a few minutes. That's when it won't connect to the media.

I'm going to have to test this with another phone to see if it's the GNex or the Radio. I'll update tomorrow if anyone cares to know. :good:

urinsane

Feb 28, 2006
Maui
I can confirm the problem existed with the JVC factory firmware as well as the updated.

Please do report back with your findings on other phones. I will try to borrow a friends iPhone to test non-android compatibility.

One other suggestion: try turning your car completely off for 5-10 seconds before restarting it. That should fully break the BT connection and reconnect correctly.

Last edited:

ellsswhere

May 16, 2010
usb jukebox

:confused:Can anyone confirm a hooked up and working USB hub on the back port? Having mine delivered on Monday along with an Axxess steering wheel control adapter and I would also love to have at least 1 64gb flash drive always hooked up in the glovebox. If anyone has a hub connected and working can you confirm the use of multiple usb drives ie: 2x64 flash drives?

Also a concern: as from Crutchfield "Playable Files: The JVC KD-X50BT supports the following types of MP3/WMA/WAV files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device. The USB device must be formatted in FAT 12/16/32. The digital media receiver can support up to a total of 20000 files, 2000 folders, and 999 filer per folder."

Formating to FAT32 will already be a pain with a 64gb flashdrive but they also claim on the same page that you cannot use a USB hub which I have seen reviews that claim you can... any help?

urinsane

Feb 28, 2006
Maui
Sorry, haven't tried. Also, navigating a 64gb drive through the receiver would be a nightmare. Maybe if you just wanted to shuffle all the time, but trying to find a specific track is not going to be easy with thousands to go through.

Thalcyon

Aug 2, 2012
I've read through this thread and didn't see any postings saying if this stereo can control apps like Spotify and SoundCloud. I use those more than Pandora lately and I wanted to check if it could do basic controls like play, pause, etc along with displaying song info.

If someone wouldn't mind trying out those 2 apps with this stereo I would appreciate the feedback!

Thanks

proxy0

Apr 8, 2012
Does anyone have a double din Bluetooth stereo?

ellsswhere

May 16, 2010
true true

Sorry, haven't tried. Also, navigating a 64gb drive through the receiver would be a nightmare. Maybe if you just wanted to shuffle all the time, but trying to find a specific track is not going to be easy with thousands to go through.

I never really considered that. Very good point. Is there no playlist support or even a random option when playing from a flash drive?
It is still funny that we are rolling into 2013 soon and we only have like 4 or 5 options for headunits with no CD let alone a smooth, fully functioning ui. And for some reason Clarion is the only company that realized without a cd drive you can switch up the layout of the deck to whatever you want.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

I've read through this thread and didn't see any postings saying if this stereo can control apps like Spotify and SoundCloud. I use those more than Pandora lately and I wanted to check if it could do basic controls like play, pause, etc along with displaying song info.

If someone wouldn't mind trying out those 2 apps with this stereo I would appreciate the feedback!

Thanks

This from an Amazon reviewer
"-Works with Pandora, Grooveshark, Spotify, flawlessly. Bluetooth pairs with my phone within 5 seconds and I can hit play and go, no touching my phone required."

mrtraveler

Dec 24, 2010
"-Works with Pandora, Grooveshark, Spotify, flawlessly. Bluetooth pairs with my phone within 5 seconds and I can hit play and go, no touching my phone required."

Well for me being overseas I can't use Pandora I always get the error message "not available in your country" which is stupid because it's the only one that I can't use here.

Before after starting the vehicle I was watching the radio to see what it was doing, well today I had to stop several times and instead of watching the radio I watched my GNex to see what it was doing. Well I did notice that it takes a few 10 to 20 seconds (didn't time it) before the Bluetooth Icon turns from gray to Blue. As soon as it turns to blue the No Media Device goes away. I'm not sure why it takes the GNex so long to connect. I'm going to test my SE XPlay tomorrow to see if I get the same delay in connection.

Thalcyon

Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for the info, yeah I decided to head over to Best Buy where they had one set up and I tested it with Spotify and SoundCloud and both work with the head unit over BT to control pause, play, forward, back etc. No display info since I have a stock ROM which doesn't support the metadata (AVRCP 1.3) but I'm fine with that. Also, I tried to test the usb connection with my phone and as others said, it only seems to be good for charging. It didn't like my phone for music streaming.

Aganar

Jan 7, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Alright, you guys win. I went to a local Best Buy today, found the thing and bought it. I very nearly didn't, because when I pulled a BB employee over to answer a few questions about it for me they were under the impression that it couldn't do anything over Bluetooth but voice. I thought, well, crap, if I'm gonna have to use an auxiliary input anyway there's no point in paying for this useless BT pairing, but after a few wimpers and "But teh intarwebs said it could!" the person double-checked the box and confirmed that it could do audio streaming (followed by a "Wow, for just $100 this stereo can do that? Nice find!")

Still have to get it installed, though. Will be doing that with them next week.

Came to about $220 though for the kits and to have them cover the installation. Just worth throwing out there for those looking to have it done for them.

urinsane

Feb 28, 2006
Maui
I finally got my KDX50BT installed. So far I'm pretty pleased. It works great with audio and with phone calls. The one issue I've had is when I'm playing video podcasts the audio/video sync gets off by as much as two seconds. Does anyone have any tips on getting that fixed?
I dont watch video in my car but I believe it has to do with the Audio latency issue. Search the Galaxy Nexus forum for "Audio Latency" and you should find some info. Not sure if it has been fixed for Bluetooth.

Thalcyon

Aug 2, 2012
I very nearly didn't, because when I pulled a BB employee over to answer a few questions about it for me they were under the impression that it couldn't do anything over Bluetooth but voice.

Haha, same experience I had too. What's worse is this was coming from one of the installers at BB. He said, "I've installed tons of these and I know for a fact nothing on it works with Android phones". Even after I said it states it on the box and in the user's manual (I downloaded and read it prior to going to BB) and JVC's website has a specific section showing android support, he still didn't believe me.

Anyway, I came back to this thread to give an update, I bought it this weekend and installed it myself and it works great:
1) with a usb drive full of music
2) controlling every music player app I had on my android phone (play, pause, skip, back). Again, no metdata transfer though.
3) with pandora (thumbs up/down, changing/creating stations, skip, pause, play and it shows song metadata!)

**One tip I wanted to pass along (that took me a while to figure out since there was nothing in the instructions) -- for those trying to get Pandora working at it's fullest potential on this stereo. You need to enable an option in the Pandora app on the phone. Open Pandora, go to Settings, select Advanced and check the box that is under the section "Bluetooth for Automotive". This allows the stereo to fully take over Pandora including launching the app from the stereo source and all the other features mentioned in #3. Oh, I guess one more tip that people have already mentioned, upgrade the stereo's firmware from JVC's website.

Reactions: latinmaxima

ellsswhere

May 16, 2010
Haha, same experience I had too. What's worse is this was coming from one of the installers at BB. He said, "I've installed tons of these and I know for a fact nothing on it works with Android phones". Even after I said it states it on the box and in the user's manual (I downloaded and read it prior to going to BB) and JVC's website has a specific section showing android support, he still didn't believe me.

That's the problem with any store like BB. The company will set time aside for synergy meetings and customer care ratings but when it comes to giving an employee a day or two a month to actually get hands on with the product they are selling they can't seem to justify it. I had a buddy that used to work at a BB and you could tell they found things out when more knowledgeable customers came in and informed them about their own product.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Though I would post this for anyone looking for bluetooth car options. I've been using this deck for the past week and love it. For years I used FM Transmitters, but after breaking/losing/etc several and not loving the sound quality, I bought a deck with auxillary input. That was fine, but still wires everywhere (especially when charging).

I purchased and installed the JVC KDX50BT. It is their entry level bluetooth deck, and does not have a CD player. Thats fine for me. I drive a Jeep and the CD players always end up getting dust inside and stop working after a few years (and I never use them). I ordered from Crutchfield for $100 shipped: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html?tp=5684

In short, I love it. The bluetooth streaming audio sounds great, and although its hard to do an A/B comparison, I believe it is better quality than the old deck with auxillary in. Bass seems to not distort at higher volumes as much as the auxillary in. This would make sense if the stereo itself is doing the digital processing. It also shows the current song information. This is "BT Audio" mode, and will basically stream whatever audio you are currently playing from any app.

It also has Pandora capabilities. This is called "BT Pandora" mode and it will display your current station info. Even better, you can thumbs up or thumbs down a track from the deck itself. When you do this, the Pandora app recognizes this and displays a screen that does not allow user input from the phone. It is kind of annoying as I plan to put in a car mount and wouldn't mind being able to see the album art. On the other hand, I have put in about 3 hours of listening so far (off and on) and haven't had a commercial yet, so I'm not complaining too much! I was going to upgrade Pandora but now I may not need to.

There is also an external microphone you can mount anywhere in your car to use for calls. I haven't used it much but initial reports from my friends are that sound quality for the other party is good.

It isn't completely bug free with my Epic Touch (Running Mijj's Blend ICS right now). Sometimes it will switch over to the Pandora mode in the middle of a song without me telling it to. This is annoying, but it is quick to switch from Pandora mode. It doesn't always display the current song information correctly in BT audio mode, but most of the songs I'm streaming from my phone I don't need to know the title. It does not show song info from Spotify. It also will not display info from my podcast player (beyondpod) but I don't really care about that. The stock music apps seem to work best for song info.

I am guessing many of these issues are with the Bluetooth protocol and the way our phones handle it. It could also be the fact I am using a custom ROM rather than stock. All issues are minor annoyances.

Other pros:
    -You can change the colors of the display to pretty much anything you want, and have different schemes for night and day.
    -Easy to pair.
    -Two USB inputs (front and rear) but if you are using bluetooth, one of these will be taken up by the JVC USB Bluetooth adapter.
    -USB inputs are 1.0mA rather than the standard 0.5mA for faster charging. (I still use my car charger as it is positioned better for my needs)
    -Radio does seem to have great reception; finding quite a few more stations that my old deck.

Other cons:
    -Radio station presets awkward to use... you have to "scroll" through them rather than just hitting button 1-6. I've been playing with the bluetooth too much to really get used to it.

Meh:
    -I also have a set of bluetooth headphones. If I am listening to the headphones and get into the Jeep, I have to either turn off the headphones before turning on the stereo, or manually connect in the bluetooth settings menu. As far as I know this is a bluetooth limitation and not the fault of the deck. It would be sweet to have it transfer automatically to the new source when it finds it, but not sure this is possible regardless of the setup.
    -There is a JVC app that allows some touch based controls on your phone. I haven't used it much but it does seem to work OK.

All of that aside, the real reason I bought it was for the ease of getting into my Jeep with my phone in my pocket, having the phone automatically connect and begin streaming high quality audio to the stereo within about 30 seconds of the car starting (it takes a moment for the phone to connect). On short drives the phone doesn't even leave my pocket. So far, I couldn't be any happier with the results I am getting, especially for $100.

................And I just found the following deal that gets it down to $81 shipped. That sucks for me, but even at $100 it is a steal!
    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/698...AQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNE28H5hsYS9gz484lxxo97Nukzipw
    Came here to find out if USB hub would work and thought I'd share.

Purchased one of these from Crutchfield a few months ago and couldn't be happier.
    First of all, got for $80 total with all the installation stuff. It was $120, but then used the $20 off promo code. And for anyone with a Discover card, you can use your cashback to get $100 Crutchfield gift card for $80.

Bluetooth works fine for me. A few startup connection issues on occasion, but turning BT off/on on the phone fixes that.
    I went the way of a USB hub also to keep my front port open. Got a Belkin 4-port hub from Amazon for $5. Haven't tried multiple USB drives, but it works fine with a 32gb and the BT module connected.

The Pandora integration is very cool. I love being able to thumbs up/down songs from the unit.
    Google Music works well and depending on your rom displays the ID tags.
    The dash menu is klunky, but it's standard issue for aftermarket radios like this.
    The JVC app is junk. I was hoping it would allow for better scrolling through the usb mp3s, but all it does is mimic the basic remote functions (play, pause, skip, mute, etc.) with touch gesture control.

Did the install myself. Never installed an aftermarket before. It wasn't the hardest thing, but it wasn't the easiest either. Took me about 3+ hours, mainly just double checking stuff. If I did another one, I bet it would take half as long. The Crutchfield directions helped once I got my bearings, but they weren't the most detailed for a rookie.

Very nice unit considering the features and the price.
    I don't know about a software update, but mine does the same thing. And, I agree, this thing is an awesome purchase for the price.

Sent from my CM9 E4GT using Tapatalk 2

Are you using Google Music? I'm going to try different apps tomorrow and see if any make a difference in that regard.

and I actually did find a software update, http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/support/navi/r50/unit_soft_download.html
    I also have a newer JVC deck, same controls as the OP talks about. Mine does have the CD player though. I would like to know what music app ever displays ID3 Tag info. I have never had luck with it other than Pandora.

Edit: JVC deck is a KDA735BT. Love the deck, works well with BT and Pandora. Would love to get ID3 Tags to pass through, perferably from Google Music but would be interested in any music player that has worked in this situation for someone. CDMA Galaxy Nexus.

Hmmm, this is strange. Google Music shows the ID3 tags for me. I have noticed a handful of times that it does not update after a track change, but I'd say less than 10% of the time. I'm using an ICS based rom on my epic touch.

Have you tried using the JVC app? I don't use it but it might be worth a shot.

Edit: I just ordered a GSM Galaxy Nexus and will be switching over to prepaid, so I'll let you know if it works with that phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Nice find. I was just looking at a Sony Deck earlier that does the pandora control. It's a bit more expensive but also lacks a CD Player and has an OLED Screen or whatever.

I have a Sony now and it uses the same wiring harness so would be a quick install for me and I've always loved my one I had now.

The BT Streaming and Pandora Control are what i'm after though.