[Q] SuperSu Installation fails, cannot root

Search This thread

shark_dude

Dec 23, 2013
Hi,

I was rooted on my Galaxy S3 I535 (Verizon) on 4.1 and took the 4.3 OTA update as is. Now I am unable to use the Saferoot method because when I launch SuperSu and get the popup to update su, it fails every time (using normal or twrp methods). I've wiped the phone but get the same thing each time. I'm running the latest SuperSU 1.9.3 and I'm wondering if it's failing because of old files that are not getting wiped for whatever reason? Can anyone show me how to manually delete any previous su/root files using adb or terminal emulator?

Thanks

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
Backup important pics, videos, and docs that are located in your phone storage. You will need to Odin flash the VRUCML1 tar then run Saferoot. You can download the 1+ GB file from my link below. Unzip it then use Odin to flash the entire tar or tar.md5. Doing this will format your phone's storage.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: shark_dude

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hi,

I was rooted on my Galaxy S3 I535 (Verizon) on 4.1 and took the 4.3 OTA update as is. Now I am unable to use the Saferoot method because when I launch SuperSu and get the popup to update su, it fails every time (using normal or twrp methods). I've wiped the phone but get the same thing each time. I'm running the latest SuperSU 1.9.3 and I'm wondering if it's failing because of old files that are not getting wiped for whatever reason? Can anyone show me how to manually delete any previous su/root files using adb or terminal emulator?

Thanks

Give this a try while phone connected to PC, run "adb shell" command, you should see $ prompt, then run "/system/xbin/su", you see root's # prompt. Please verify this before we proceed further.

shark_dude

Dec 23, 2013
Give this a try while phone connected to PC, run "adb shell" command, you should see $ prompt, then run "/system/xbin/su", you see root's # prompt. Please verify this before we proceed further.

Confirmed, I get the # prompt after running "/system/xbin/su"

Titanium backup says it's not rooted via the /system/bin/su attempt and every root checker app fails as well although it seems like I'm rooted via command line?

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011

Titanium backup says it's not rooted via the /system/bin/su attempt and every root checker app fails as well although it seems like I'm rooted via command line?
Type:
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm /system/bin/su
mount -o remount,ro /system

Now run SuperSU app in the phone, it should update binary ok and prompt you to reboot.

shark_dude

Dec 23, 2013
No, once you update SuperSu and reboot, you should be rooted. No need to run saferoot.

Ah, yes I'm rooted now! Thank you for the assistance as well as to you SlimSnoopOS for the unbrick method, I wasn't aware of that solution yet.

So what exactly was my problem? Did the Saferoot script crap out at some point leaving the necessary files on the phone but not fully set up yet to keep root privileges?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Ah, yes I'm rooted now! Thank you for the assistance as well as to you SlimSnoopOS for the unbrick method, I wasn't aware of that solution yet.

So what exactly was my problem? Did the Saferoot script crap out at some point leaving the necessary files on the phone but not fully set up yet to keep root privileges?

The issue was you already have none working superuser as root on the phone (from previous install) then you tried to install supersu through saferoot and your phone is using the old superuser as default instead of the new supersu. So basically the command execute the right root which is supersu, then removed the old superuser, this will allow the supersu to update the binary and now your phone is using the default supersu as root.

Last edited:
Reactions: shark_dude

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
The issue was you already have none working superuser as root on the phone (from previous install) then you tried to install supersu through saferoot and your phone is using the old superuser as default instead of the new supersu. So basically the command execute the right root which is supersu, then removed the old superuser, this will allow the supersu to update the binary and now your phone is using the default supersu as root.

Nice work! Thanks for finding that fix.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: buhohitr

shark_dude

Dec 23, 2013

Gotcha, thanks again! I appreciate the prompt responses :good:

DrunkenZombie

Feb 18, 2014
i cnt see $ prom

i also got the same problem whre i cnt root,,its always failed. so now when i run using 'adb shell' i cant see the $ promt. i just see ''install and memo file'' what should i do? sorrry my bad english.

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
i also got the same problem whre i cnt root,,its always failed. so now when i run using 'adb shell' i cant see the $ promt. i just see ''install and memo file'' what should i do? sorrry my bad english.

Just continue with the following command:
/system/xbin/su hit enter, you should see the # prompt. Then do the following:
rm /system/bin/su

Now run SuperSU app in the phone, it should update binary ok and prompt you to reboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Type:
    rm /system/bin/su

Backup important pics, videos, and docs that are located in your phone storage. You will need to Odin flash the VRUCML1 tar then run Saferoot. You can download the 1+ GB file from my link below. Unzip it then use Odin to flash the entire tar or tar.md5. Doing this will format your phone's storage.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586319

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
    Done. It seems to be working as expected now (so far). Now I'm assuming I can run Saferoot again?

No, once you update SuperSu and reboot, you should be rooted. No need to run saferoot.

Nice work! Thanks for finding that fix.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2