Solution to the HD2's crappy keyboard!(updated 10/3/2010!now with working xt9 button)

Search This thread
Feb 5, 2010
The images of the skinned fallout keyboard look great!

One problem...........you've forgotten to give instructions on how to put the necessary files into the windows directory, specifically where, and how, for the not so technically gifted!

I love the fallout theme and have had this typing issue for ever, now there is a solution and i have no idea how to do it!

After help on how to copy files to where they are needed and what I need to make the necessary changes, please :)

brainmaster

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 10, 2006
Huawei Watch
OnePlus 7T Pro
It would be good if you can upload some screenshots for comparing the different layouts and skins with the original one, so that a person can decide on hand of the screenshot if he / she will do the modification.

Without screenshots I must install your modification and if I don't like then I'll have to go back.

It is much User-friendlier if we could see some screenshots. .

theboyrob

Mar 6, 2007
i think it would be a good idea for someone to post the original keyboard files so anyone with an issue can go back to the standard and start again!

JayMore

Jul 29, 2007
Szeged
awesome!

Dude,

So much better than the original ezInput 2.1! And finally, no XT9 button!! :D

MARRY ME!! :p

EDIT: Could you make one with the dpad arrow keys at the bottom and NO XT9 button?? Sometimes I accedentally disable the input and once I even pressed SEND while writing an SMS. :(

Cheers,
JayMore

Last edited:

lrbpereira

May 30, 2009
Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo
Works very well, 5 star work! Better that the stock crappy one that WINMO/HTC put on there roms.

I´m using Duttys last rom and seams like the layout has some problems!?

Could you fix it?

The Shift, .COM and Spacebar don´t get the same "skin"... :(

Screen in attach

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 306

Neo84

Dec 28, 2009
After installing the cab my keyboard gets messed up mostly. See my screenshot. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Duttys Rom V9 (GER).
Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 206

Stingrayx

Dec 10, 2008
i am writing this answer from my leo and all i can say thank you thank you thank you...
i only installed the cab file and everything works perfect as of now...

jmallen

Aug 12, 2003
Memphis
bump

I was wondering if anyone has tried to get t9 working on the modified skin. if not i will take a crack at it. it would seem that there are a couple more xml files that need to be modified.

Thapriince

Feb 14, 2011
I have installed the Edit Kb by boogiecornejo.cab file on my htc hd2 but the keyboard only works in landscape, the buttons go back to normal on landscape mode, any help?

alecs

Dec 13, 2007
Folks, I must have mucked up somewhere but I thought I had backed up my original files and appearently didn't. I want to revert back to the original keyboard and can't. Can someone help ?

I also installed Edit Kb by boogiecornejo.cab file and then uninstalled it but there was ne effect. So it appears I need the original files.

My HD2 device information is as follows:

OS version 5.2.21869
Manilla version 2.5.19211619.0
Rom version 1.66.405.2
Radio version 2.06.51.07

Many thanks in advance

benpaddlejones

Jan 26, 2010
Wow, this made the greatest leap in usability for the HD2, the keyboard looked good but work awefully.

Thankyou

benpaddlejones :)

Myrixamophit

Jul 23, 2010
First of all: THX that you did this, it's great somebody took care of this issue with the HD2 KB! *Thumbs Up*

But: I tried to install the files like you instructed (after backup) but ended up with Windows telling me it cannot replace, due to use of the file or restrictions! So, I cannot install it, a shame. I wanted to try. Anyway: a permanent use would make only sense for me if there would be a QWERTZ Version of it. Hope this on the to do List? :D

...keep it up

best regards,

Myrixamophit

wasddgdsg

Aug 27, 2008
sorry, no joy for me. tried the .cab and the .rar files.
appears all messed up, with arrows showing on top, but qwert.. funktionality.
and now I've replaced my original files...
so no joy at all!
Is it 'cause I'm on 6.5.3???

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
Never found the HTC keyboard that bad, have the Dinik keyboard skins on mine but for me a customised FingerKeyboard is about the best multi language & most versitile (usability in most circumstances & apps) input for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive managed to edit some of the xml files for the built in keyboard and i have to say that it works so much better now.

the idea to make the keyboard work better was inspired by how the buttons were spaced on the iphone. i noticed that they were spaced farther apart compared to the hd2 so i painstakingly edited every buttons' "virtual" position and this has resulted in a keyboard that is much more responsive(the lags seem to have lessened considerably) and accuracy in typing is now at par with an iphone.

i never use xt9 so i just removed it(in the 1st three attachments)w/c also resulted in reduced mis pressing it when trying to press an "A".

i also moved the dpad arrows(also in the 1st three attachments) to the top making the period, comma and spacebar easier to press without mistakes.

the backspace button has been enlarged for better ergonomics.

to lycox, thanks for letting me use your skin. heres the link to the original skin's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=709916

thanks also goes to p107r0 for leading me in the right direction.

this wouldnt have been possible without XmlGui so big thank yous to programatix.

Instructions: download the attached rar files.unrar and copy all files inside the folder directly to the windows directory of your HD2(you will need a 3rd party file explorer like resco to overwrite the existing files). soft reset. thats it...

i strongly suggest to backup all the files to be replaced just in case something goes awry.

do this at your own risk.please dont blame me if your phone suddenly gets bricked. mine worked perfectly after replacing all files.

please leave a comment after youve tried it.

this is only for portrait mode. i didnt touch landscape coz i dont use it...

if theres anyone kind enough to make a cab file out of this please do.

EDIT: if you need xt9 use the Orig KB Edited attachment

Update: i made a version 2 of the mod with the spaces between the buttons even farther apart. some people might find this more comfortable but the mod sometimes results in "no presses". and by the way i succesfully skinned the spacebar and shift key thanks to dinik and p107r0.use the attached sipmap.dll in the fallout keyboard rar file but its far from perfect.eg:the .com button has disappeared.i have to look into this a bit more to fix it...
    if you want the original gtx skin just replace the fallout png files with the ones from the edited kb rar file.

EDIT 2: i added an original version with the arrows at the bottom and the xt9 working.

EDIT 3: i know its a bit confusing but to shed some light on all the attached files heres an explanation.

the first one(Edited KB.rar) is exactly like Edit KB by boogiecornejo.cab except in cab form.

the third(FAllout KB.rar) is like the first two except that its semi skinned with a fallout theme.

the last(Orig KB Edited10-3-2010) contains the files needed to replace in the windows folder to get the functionality of my mod using whatever keyboard you already have(assuming its a normal layout eg: with the directional arrows at the bottom) in your device.

i hope that shed some light on whatever questions there are about the files...