[REQ]On screen Nav Sprint

Search This thread

thekendog

Jul 25, 2011
When u decompile framework-res.apk in values folder there is a file called bools.xml and there is a like that saya show navigation bar. Change the value from false to true. And then in the same folder thrre is a file called dimens.xml the nav bar height can be changed from 48 to any number. The lower the number obviously the smaller it is. Then compile and push
Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA App

Hmm I'm getting errors with plurals.xml after changing false to true. I'll have to play around with it later today. Thanks for the info.

monstaX

Dec 24, 2011
Texas
E
Hmm I'm getting errors with plurals.xml after changing false to true. I'll have to play around with it later today. Thanks for the info.

Everyone else seems to be having those issues as well. Im nlt sure why. But mine does it just fine. Good luck with it. If u can figure it out i can just give u the zip with the apktools in it that should work. They are freezas. I got them yesterday o one of his threads

thekendog

Jul 25, 2011
Sweet I got this working! I didn't realize it was that easy to get on screen navigation going. Pretty cool. Now I just gotta figure out how to get recent apps on the right side and back button on the left. The remapping of the keys is over my head though.

monstaX

Dec 24, 2011
Texas
Sweet I got this working! I didn't realize it was that easy to get on screen navigation going. Pretty cool. Now I just gotta figure out how to get recent apps on the right side and back button on the left. The remapping of the keys is over my head though.

Trying to learn as well. And also hardware remaps. Anyone care to teach a noob? I will look into later at work. If you learn how please share!

EDIT: i just did this. The home button is now a camera button and to start cammera must hold home button for one second and click to snap a photo. Will post zip in a bit. Only tested on blazer 1.6 but should work on most other roms.

Last edited:

trevoryour

Nov 14, 2009
Wow this thread would have been helpful 2 days ago. I wanted to get the softkeys back as well on my Verizon GS3 so i did some digging and figured out how to do it on my own. I ran into the plural errors just like everyone else and fixed them by adding the % to fix them. This is where I got stuck and couldn't get any further.

1. I couldn't figure out how to change the softkey images to the stock ICS images that are on the nexus. I tried swapping out the images in the systemui.apk but it didn't seem to have affect.
  2. I couldn't figure out how to change the order so that back button is on the left side.
  3. The touchwiz apps seem to be set to an absolute screen size so when I use the dialer or the camera the app is cut off where the softkeys are. This doesn't seem to happen with other apps though. I was thinking maybe it would be possible to replace the stock TW dialer and camera with the stock ICS version but i don't know how to do that.

You guys are obviously better at this than me. Do you guys have solutions to any of my bullet points? Basically I want my GS3 to look as much like my Nexus as it can. Also I have been replacing the apk files using root explorer while the phone is running which causes all kinds of crashes. It would be better if I could flash the changes using a CWM zip file but I don't know how to make one.

monstaX

Dec 24, 2011
Texas
Actually im not using the on screen buttons with this so i need my soft keys. Lol but if u want i can disable them and up a zip for u. Unless you wanna do it yourself.

monstaX

Dec 24, 2011
Texas
Wow this thread would have been helpful 2 days ago. I wanted to get the softkeys back as well on my Verizon GS3 so i did some digging and figured out how to do it on my own. I ran into the plural errors just like everyone else and fixed them by adding the % to fix them. This is where I got stuck and couldn't get any further.

1. I couldn't figure out how to change the softkey images to the stock ICS images that are on the nexus. I tried swapping out the images in the systemui.apk but it didn't seem to have affect.
  2. I couldn't figure out how to change the order so that back button is on the left side.
  3. The touchwiz apps seem to be set to an absolute screen size so when I use the dialer or the camera the app is cut off where the softkeys are. This doesn't seem to happen with other apps though. I was thinking maybe it would be possible to replace the stock TW dialer and camera with the stock ICS version but i don't know how to do that.

You guys are obviously better at this than me. Do you guys have solutions to any of my bullet points? Basically I want my GS3 to look as much like my Nexus as it can. Also I have been replacing the apk files using root explorer while the phone is running which causes all kinds of crashes. It would be better if I could flash the changes using a CWM zip file but I don't know how to make one.

Making a zip is really easy. U can use one of the zips i have posted. Make sure u have 7-zip. Right click on my zip then 7-zip with arrow on the side and put open archive. This is the actual files inside. Dont worry about META-INF for now. Look at system. If you want to flash a systemui.apk then u would first make a folder inside system folder and name it "app" inside the folder app you would put ur modified and compiled systemui.apk. now once u flash the zip it will replace the systemui in ur phone with the ome in the zip. If you dont understand read this again and again. And open up other zips to learn more about it. Ask before you soft brick your phone. Good luck!!

Last edited:

monstaX

Dec 24, 2011
Texas

I dont know why that didnt work but it should have.
And about the screen thing the only thing that can lessen the effect is to shorten the height of the nav bar in dimens.xml in framework-res.apk

holysmokesbatty

May 23, 2009
Denver, CO
Actually im not using the on screen buttons with this so i need my soft keys. Lol but if u want i can disable them and up a zip for u. Unless you wanna do it yourself.

I made the edits myself.

After I get home tonight I think I'll put all the mods together in a flashable and add it to the first post.

You guys are amazing and have been so helpful. I would buy everyone involved in this a round if you were all local.

trevoryour

Nov 14, 2009
I dont know why that didnt work but it should have.
And about the screen thing the only thing that can lessen the effect is to shorten the height of the nav bar in dimens.xml in framework-res.apk

Are you refering to modifying the images in the systemui.apk when you say your not sure why it didn't work? If so then I agreee. That is the way I have always changed the softkey images with my Nexus but may Samsung puts them in another place. Maybe someone else can look at it and see if they can figure out what i'm doing wrong.

I have already modified the dimensions to 34 in order to make the softkeys as low profile as possible but the proper solution is to replace the TW apps with the stock ICS versions. Hopefully someone knows how to do this.

What about the button order? Anyone know how to change them?

monstaX

Dec 24, 2011
Texas
I made the edits myself.

After I get home tonight I think I'll put all the mods together in a flashable and add it to the first post.

You guys are amazing and have been so helpful. I would buy everyone involved in this a round if you were all local.

Thats great man. Aprreciate the appreciation!!

Sent from my sexy SPH-L710 using my home button as a camera button ;)

monstaX

Dec 24, 2011
Texas
Are you refering to modifying the images in the systemui.apk when you say your not sure why it didn't work? If so then I agreee. That is the way I have always changed the softkey images with my Nexus but may Samsung puts them in another place. Maybe someone else can look at it and see if they can figure out what i'm doing wrong.

I have already modified the dimensions to 34 in order to make the softkeys as low profile as possible but the proper solution is to replace the TW apps with the stock ICS versions. Hopefully someone knows how to do this.

What about the button order? Anyone know how to change them?

Yes i was refering to that. It should work. In a bit i can try if im not too busy. Dont worry i have no life.
In dimens u can lower it might just look funny.

I would but not now about the ics apps on tw. Not sure how, but cant be to hard

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The back button is on right side too. If u know how to change i can. Just teach me lol.

Uploading the zip.
    Disregard what the updater-script says. I get bored lol
    Also going to give lg2 deodexed a shot

Ok this has only been tested on Blazer 1.6
    Not sure if it works on another ROM
    Recent apps on left
    Home in the middle
    Back button on right side
    Nab Bar Height =36 dp
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jna496zc5bfcn2s