[How To Root]AT&T Galaxy S4 Active Root (SGH-i537) and S4 Active (GT-i9295)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mnasledov

Oct 23, 2010
San Bruno, CA
I am very interested in the I537 as it can be completely modded to be a full T-Mobile phone, fully supporting all the frequencies including LTE, and would be a great replacement for my S3. I've bought phones before we had root before but it makes me nervous to buy something before I know I can have my way with it ;)

Count me in, here's $40 for the cause.

EDIT: I really want this to happen. Changing my pledge from $20 to $40. :)

Last edited:

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I'm in for $25 but I don't have time to watch the forums closely. If I need to pay up, somebody PM me.

Ditto what this guy said. 10$

Really guys? You'll obviously be looking here for root so once we have it, you know you need to pay up. Asking someone else to remind you of a commitment you made is pretty ridiculous.

/rant

Marvelicious75

May 23, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Really guys? You'll obviously be looking here for root so once we have it, you know you need to pay up. Asking someone else to remind you of a commitment you made is pretty ridiculous.

/rant

End rant is it? Really? Let me see if I can work up a suitable reply in a civil tone...

You act like I'm begging for something for nothing. I do not own this phone, and may never buy one. I saw the thread, and felt like it was worth tossing a few bucks in. I don't spend my day surfing this forum: I had this week off, but my normal schedule has me working 80+ hours a week and I don't work a job that allows me to surf the web during work hours. That being the case, a significant amount of time may go by without me being aware of any changes.

So, let me rephrase. Assuming the person who wants to claim this bounty expects to be paid in a reasonable amount of time, they may wish to send me a PM in order to collect.

If that seems unreasonable, you can just cancel my pledge. I didn't think it was that much to ask.

shizenyasuya

Sep 19, 2008
Seattle

/rant

I don't think it's ridiculous, I'm interested in buying the phone if root is achieved, but not enough to commit to the bounty when I don't even know for sure that I'm going to be buying the phone. If someone is willing to pay in towards it without having yet made that decision and they're just asking for a friendly reminder because they're a busy person and they don't surf the forum as frequently as some, I don't think that it's an unreasonable request. Sure it leaves room for them to not find out and maybe end up paying late, but I'd rather have people aware of my potentially late contribution than to have them think that I backed out on it because I wasn't aware that it was time to pay up.

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
End rant is it? Really? Let me see if I can work up a suitable reply in a civil tone...

You act like I'm begging for something for nothing. I do not own this phone, and may never buy one. I saw the thread, and felt like it was worth tossing a few bucks in. I don't spend my day surfing this forum: I had this week off, but my normal schedule has me working 80+ hours a week and I don't work a job that allows me to surf the web during work hours. That being the case, a significant amount of time may go by without me being aware of any changes.

So, let me rephrase. Assuming the person who wants to claim this bounty expects to be paid in a reasonable amount of time, they may wish to send me a PM in order to collect.

If that seems unreasonable, you can just cancel my pledge. I didn't think it was that much to ask.

I don't think it's ridiculous, I'm interested in buying the phone if root is achieved, but not enough to commit to the bounty when I don't even know for sure that I'm going to be buying the phone. If someone is willing to pay in towards it without having yet made that decision and they're just asking for a friendly reminder because they're a busy person and they don't surf the forum as frequently as some, I don't think that it's an unreasonable request. Sure it leaves room for them to not find out and maybe end up paying late, but I'd rather have people aware of my potentially late contribution than to have them think that I backed out on it because I wasn't aware that it was time to pay up.

I understand your positions and apologize if my post came across as rude. I stand by what I said, but I shouldn't have brought it up the way I did, or at all.

Sorry to everyone for derailing the thread.

geohot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
Swung by the AT&T store today on the way back from the beach...my new phone, didn't know they weren't rooted yet.

~geohot

Attachments

• rooted_s4active.jpg
    rooted_s4active.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,886
  • shell_s4active.jpg
    shell_s4active.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,998
J

jetlitheone

Are you the geohot I think you are :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

robb79

Feb 9, 2009
I'm downloading it, but over a gig. Seems strange. Also no instructions? I'll be the guinea pig. Does that entitle me to a share of the bounty?

jeremy1701

Mar 11, 2011
I'm downloading it, but over a gig. Seems strange. Also no instructions? I'll be the guinea pig. Does that entitle me to a share of the bounty?

Lol. Not sure if it does. Also downloading atm. Let me know how it goes for you, I'll do the same.

It does seem odd that there's little to no instruction/advice/etc.

@geohot, is the Odin One-click what you used?

Last edited:

mbonus

Aug 18, 2010
The one click is just to go back to stock - mr1 version. The current motochopper does not work with mr1. Based upon the screenshots above, root has been achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hit up geohot.com/activeroot on your device

because I'm too new to post links

supporting for the next hour in #xda-devs on freenode

it's my first android root, be kind. feedback welcome.​
    As requested here is a separate thread for the S4 Active bounty

AT&T S4 Active SGH-i537 root method:
    -------------------------

This guide is to help people root their Galaxy S4 Active devices. Model SGH-i537 on AT&T.

Credit goes to geohot for the release of activeroot apk!

-------------------------
    Video guide here

1. First go to Settings and click the "More" tab. Then go into security and check "Unknown Sources."

2. Visit http://geohot.com/activeroot from your device and click the lampda picture to download the apk file.

3. Run the apk. It should give you a message telling you that you have root. Worked almost instantly for me.

4. Visit the Play Store and download SuperSU. (NOTE: You MUST download and use SuperSU to manage superuser permissions, nothing else. Only SuperSU currently can circumvent Samsung's "root blocker" in the kernel.)

5. Open the Super SU app and update binaries.

6. Optional. Donate. I contributed $10 to the original bounty, but really... this is a quick and simple method. Toss him $5 bucks if this root helps you out!

Kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

Use a root enabled file explorer (Like Root Explorer) and navigate to: /system/app/

Rename or delete wssyncmldm.apk

If you want to get rid of AT&T's nannying nagging message about root access delete or rename KNOXAgent.apk

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T Updater

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ===== ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

UNROOT and RETURN TO STOCK:

File Name: Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z
    MD5: 5860A429420FF9029C8CF687F43E3D83
    Password: rootzwiki
    DOWNLOAD: Here
    Credit: RootzWiki

*Note* A factory reset wont return you to stock because the binaries will remain. You can try doing a "full unroot" from super su app or flash the above in ODIN

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ===== ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

======================================
    F.A.Q.
    ======================================

Q: What does activeroot do for my phone?
    A: It gives you root access to the phone's file system. Even the Android system files.

Q: What can I do with root?
    A: You can run applications that require root access to function. Apps like Titanium Backup, can back up all of your apps and settings and save it in your phone's storage/SD card. You can also freeze (disable) or delete pre-installed apps that came with the phone (AT&T/Samsung bloatware).

Q. Is root dangerous?
    A. Well, it does give you access to files you were not supposed to be allowed to manipulate. If you accidentally delete files that are important, you could cause the phone to crash and prevent booting.

Q. Can I install a custom ROM?
    A. As of 7/8/13, the answer is no. Not yet. To be able to install a custom ROM, you need to be able to install a custom recovery. As of now, the bootloader of the original Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S4 Active are still locked. The original GS4 currently has an venerability in it's bootloader that allows for an exploit (called Loki exploit) to be used that enables installation of custom recoveries and ROMS. This vulnerability has been patched since the release of the GS4 Active, and our phones cannot take advantage of the Loki exploit.

Q. Will the GS4A's bootloader EVER be unlocked?
    A. No one knows for sure. The Galaxy S4 Active is a niche product available exclusively on AT&T in the USA. It will never reach the sales numbers that the original Galaxy S4 will achieve because of this. Since the original GS4 will be the phone in more users' hands... the same can be said for the hands of developers. A developer who bought the original GS4, is not likely to also buy a GS4A. That being said, the original GS4 is a very popular device and people are working hard on it's bootloader. The GS4 and the GS4A are similar enough that if the GS4 gets unlocked, luck may shine on us and the method may unlock our phones as well. But, as the old saying goes, "I wouldn't hold your breath."

International S4 Active GT-i9295 root method:
    This a good note to anyone who is looking for a root method for the i9295 with an unlocked bootloader. To gain root do the following steps:
    So just flash http://download.chainfire.eu/316/CF-...xx-gti9505.zip with included Odin and thats it. Below is how to flash:

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practice!)

If you see this post a user confirmed this to gain root access

Do either of these root methods at your own risk. I take NO responsibility for you bricking your device.

Root Bounty (obviously already achieved)
    Root must be repeatable by the average user it also must be stable:

Pledges:
    joshuadjohnson22 $10 8M127451EM528464N
    Marvelicious75 $15 90D961051P289421J
    thatbigmoose $10 07X32126MM98984XX
    stephensonbrady $10 8CC62383EC2722109
    bdgarel $15
    daugh016 $10 4JV00716K7186494W
    _MetalHead_ $50 xxxxxxxxxx872881H
    gurnec $30 4U73259930163730V
    zhchaoxing $20 34779178V4223182W
    Javascriptvoid $15 2MW27489NA337573L
    Informpage $10 6SL14089NP013225R
    Bubba9004 $10 1U508646WW0646002
    Solange82200 $10 78L51773DM109584M
    TenEightyPee $10 6BB23055YJ674324X
    Naeib2000 $10
    Twillso $20 xxxxxxxxxx6631148
    Davidusr $20 52U63980M5747400X
    Yankeesfan714 $50 #xxxxxxxxxxx-83407
    DJ_smooth $25
    SirBash $10 7CM588676N745162J
    ForkySpoony $25 65935426WY543180U
    mnasledov $40 57V383820G529761V

Total as of 10:15 PM EST 7/23/2013: $425

(if you made a pledge but changed your mind or if I missed your pledge please PM me)

I was asked what the process would be once a exploit is found. Once it is found we will wait for the dev to specify how he wants the money sent. Usually it is just a donation to their paypal account. On rare occasions the dev will just say they want money donated to charity but that is rare and the dev should get paid for their hard work. I will follow up to make sure everyone pays.
    Swung by the AT&T store today on the way back from the beach...my new phone, didn't know they weren't rooted yet.

~geohot
    The first website had a link to the vuln, but that's like saying Samsung over here patch me patch me. The exploit is totally rewritten(and kind of funny looking if you looked), I didn't know people had used it before with Android.
    To get back on topic, Thank You Geohot for the s4 root! Like how you just stopped by an AT&T store, picked up an S4 Active, and made a quick root without realizing there was a bounty; I too stumbled on this fantastic forum and saw you posted the easiest way to Root which was something I really really needed and was lacking on my S4 Active! Thank you and I'm not paying you a dime since others are so eager to foot the bill for me. Appreciate it, bra!

I'm speechless. This is probably the single most disrespectful post I have ever seen on xda. I usually don't resort to name calling but this is a very special case- You sir, are an a$$hole.