[Q] Note 2 won't boot unless connected to charger.

Search This thread

chrisjm00

Jul 29, 2007
Nottingham, MD
The title says it all. My brothers Note 2 will only boot past the Galaxy Note 2 boot screen if it is connected to the charger. It doesn't matter if it is a USB or wall charge. If the phone is connected to a power source it boots into the system fine, however, once you remove it from the power source it turns off. I was wondering if it could be a bad battery but the charge is showing it at almost 80%. Has anyone ran into something like this before? If I try to boot the phone without it being connected, it sits at the Note 2 screen for about 15 seconds and then shuts itself off.

Reactions: technoracy

DX.Deception

Apr 3, 2012
OnePlus 11
I'm not really sure but it sounds like the internals of the battery are closing up (shorting). Are you able to get another battery to test and see if it is the battery?

technoracy

Jun 9, 2014
Note 2 - Boots , Loops, No SDS Detected as per eMMC checker on play store

The title says it all. My brothers Note 2 will only boot past the Galaxy Note 2 boot screen if it is connected to the charger. It doesn't matter if it is a USB or wall charge. If the phone is connected to a power source it boots into the system fine, however, once you remove it from the power source it turns off. I was wondering if it could be a bad battery but the charge is showing it at almost 80%. Has anyone ran into something like this before? If I try to boot the phone without it being connected, it sits at the Note 2 screen for about 15 seconds and then shuts itself off.

Having same issues
Seems it hardware plus software issue.
Running 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Happened after installing few games .
Goes in constant boot loop
Can start by attaching power cord only to socket.
With USB attached to Laptop .. still goes in loop
Powerbank is workaround.
Seems to reboot when saving to sd card ..

Will keep posted

chrisjm00

Jul 29, 2007
Nottingham, MD
Having same issues
Running 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Powerbank is workaround.

Will keep posted

The problem, after getting a stock image back on the phone, ended up being a bad battery. The phone wouldn't hold a charge even though the charging image showed otherwise. Once you get a working image on there, try replacing the battery. I ordered an eight dollar cheapo battery from Amazon and it worked like a charm.

Reactions: naselKiDD

naselKiDD

Dec 9, 2013
The problem, after getting a stock image back on the phone, ended up being a bad battery. The phone wouldn't hold a charge even though the charging image showed otherwise. Once you get a working image on there, try replacing the battery. I ordered an eight dollar cheapo battery from Amazon and it worked like a charm.

I second this. My phone went down Saturday. Thought it was something with CyanogenMod 11, but flashing back to stock did nothing. Replaced the battery, haven't had any problems since.

technoracy

Jun 9, 2014

Thats first thing i did .. checked different battery ..
Battery is fine .. its not battery issue .. atleast in my case ..
i checked for SDS .. my phone has no SDS insane bug either .. though symptoms were same .

I have backup phone, using it.
I showed for mobile repair.
Said he will solve it .
So plan to take tomorrow.
I can root and all..
But after this booting dont want to brick it ..
So plan to do it via the mobile repair shop

mddcflimsreal

Jul 19, 2011
Frisco
I have the same issue right now as well. I was on stock for awhile and used casual one click method, switched between a few roms. Than it started happening after that. So I flashed back to stock on odin and still have that issue. Havent figured it out yet.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

onelivewire

Jul 20, 2015
Boot cycle loop

I'm not really sure but it sounds like the internals of the battery are closing up (shorting). Are you able to get another battery to test and see if it is the battery?

I have had this issue and replacing the battery did the trick. I was having issues with the battery beforehand. once the battery showed as being at 17% the phone would start the reboot cycle and not fully boot until it was plugged in.

Benjamin osei

Nov 11, 2015
Have same problem here.....All these started when I replaced my bulge battery. New battery doesn't hold power below 20%. Phone goes off in boot cycle until plugged in a charger

suntreepops

Nov 18, 2015
Try to boot on USB/PC data connection

When connected t PC-system will boot to a point. PC indicates new connection then looses it and Note 2 returns to flash screen. Problem start when using corporate email and encrypted data. Works w/o error connected to wall charger. Disconnect crashes system. Flashes screen forever. No diagnostics. Did all SW reboots. Doubt battery, but will try.

Zombtastic

Jan 2, 2013
When connected t PC-system will boot to a point. PC indicates new connection then looses it and Note 2 returns to flash screen. Problem start when using corporate email and encrypted data. Works w/o error connected to wall charger. Disconnect crashes system. Flashes screen forever. No diagnostics. Did all SW reboots. Doubt battery, but will try.
Did you ever test a new battery/figure it out?

Mine is doing the same thing I think. I only boots if connected to a wall charger. If connected to PC with USB it will boot to the [T-Mobile in my case] boot screen, connect to PC for a split second (long enough to make the connection sound in windows, then I can't find it) and it stays on that screen. Without being connected to either, or after pulling plug, it turns off.

Last edited:

Fokov

Feb 21, 2017
Same problem here with mine :(
can't be just the battery because it will stay on w/o charger when in download/recovery mode or if it gets stuck on the Verizon screen.
kernel 3.0.31
build KOT49H.I605VRUFND7
hardware version I605.06

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Having same issues
    Running 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
    Powerbank is workaround.

Will keep posted