Preparation for ICS via Kies

Search This thread

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Ok you been running custom roms root stock roms and now you want to join the rush for official release of ICS .But you have a non genuine firmware /product codes etc .
Simple method of preparing to get the release is one restore your original saved firmware on a clean phone Kies will update once your provider releases ICS .
No saved rom then go to
Check FUS downloader: http://fus.nanzen.se/download.php?id=12
Download and open it find your phone find the original supplier ie Voda Orange TMob etc or punch in your phones original codes and download the firmware .

Backup data and anything you want to save from your phone just in case .A Nandroid backup is useful at this point .

Now open Odin and flash the firmware you just downloaded this will also remove root .Its unzip download to single file .tar.md5 Open Odin put this file to PDA and flash as normal
Connect to Kies and when your phone provider updates you get ICS via Kies .
Above should apply to FOTA updates if they are available as well .

Alternative is to wait for ICS release and grab your copy via CheckFus or grab a stock Samsung ICS rom from the stock roms sources once released .

Or just sit back with your GB and wait for the custom roms to be built on ICS before moving to Android 4 my preferred choice .

ODIN how to
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1125282

Addition a method to spoof firmware codes may be of help to some .
Spoof FW

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959806

and in that respect the next post contains codes for a number of phones .

hidswver
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089874

Again all these methods need not be used for ICS but can be used to download the original firmware that can be flashed for warranty purpose as well as upgrades .

jje

Last edited:

King Shady

Sep 6, 2010
Why are you posting this? ICS doesn't come out today. You get mad at others for posting ICS topics and threads, yet you posted one when ICS is not even coming out today.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

stoney73

Apr 28, 2010
nottingham
Why are you posting this? ICS doesn't come out today. You get mad at others for posting ICS topics and threads, yet you posted one when ICS is not even coming out today.

Did he say ICS was coming out today?

If you bothered to read the post its for people who might want to start preparing their phones in anticipation of the ics release via kies.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas

You can't see the distinction between a guide to prepare your device for updating to ICS officially and a bunch half-baked-rush-to-post threads about the latest ICS release date news?

Reactions: sxi200

sxi200

Oct 18, 2010
Melbourne
Good stuff! This should help quite a few noobs and hopefully reduce the amount of 'how do I upgrade' threads once ics is released. Because there will be plenty of them.

Probably a good idea to make a guide for downgrading from ics because, like downgrading from 2.3.6 people will ask that question 100 times a day after release.

I wonder how many times we will have to link this and other helpful threads in the near future.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

drelite08

Nov 29, 2010
Or just get it off here and/or sammobile when it hits :D

vikas776

Jul 16, 2010
This thread is quite usefull for many members.
People need to lower down their attitude a little.

Thanks OP for the guide :)

Sparksltd

Mar 11, 2007

I think you've missed the point.

This thread is a good idea. I've subscribed!

Mittaa

Jan 18, 2009
I have root using Easy Rooting Toolkit [v4.0](zergRush Exploit).
Have downloaded latest matching firmware, but file have extension .enc2 ... what does this mean?
Can I then use Odin Mobile with EverRoot to flash this firmware downloaded using FUS downloader?
And how much will be wiped?
Thanks

Last edited:

aceofclubs

Oct 5, 2011
Thanks mate you are going to save me and others a whole lot of typing soon.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

osmington

Dec 4, 2011
Someone always has to moan about something.
Is it stupidity or jealousy maybe ?

This is a useful topic, with no mention of update dates.

Well done.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

androidkid311

Jun 5, 2011

Scared him away lol. But he defo missed the point, thanks jje ;-)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok you been running custom roms root stock roms and now you want to join the rush for official release of ICS .But you have a non genuine firmware /product codes etc .
    Simple method of preparing to get the release is one restore your original saved firmware on a clean phone Kies will update once your provider releases ICS .
    No saved rom then go to
    Check FUS downloader: http://fus.nanzen.se/download.php?id=12
    Download and open it find your phone find the original supplier ie Voda Orange TMob etc or punch in your phones original codes and download the firmware .

Backup data and anything you want to save from your phone just in case .A Nandroid backup is useful at this point .

Now open Odin and flash the firmware you just downloaded this will also remove root .Its unzip download to single file .tar.md5 Open Odin put this file to PDA and flash as normal
    Connect to Kies and when your phone provider updates you get ICS via Kies .
    Above should apply to FOTA updates if they are available as well .

Alternative is to wait for ICS release and grab your copy via CheckFus or grab a stock Samsung ICS rom from the stock roms sources once released .

Or just sit back with your GB and wait for the custom roms to be built on ICS before moving to Android 4 my preferred choice .

ODIN how to
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1125282

Addition a method to spoof firmware codes may be of help to some .
    Spoof FW

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=959806

and in that respect the next post contains codes for a number of phones .

hidswver
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1089874

Again all these methods need not be used for ICS but can be used to download the original firmware that can be flashed for warranty purpose as well as upgrades .

jje

You can't see the distinction between a guide to prepare your device for updating to ICS officially and a bunch half-baked-rush-to-post threads about the latest ICS release date news?
    Dunno if this is out of line on my part, but I edited it a bit for clarity. I know you're busy doing important stuff, just copy and paste the below and I'll nuke this. Sorry again if this is verboten.

OK ... you've been running custom ROMs, or root stock ROMs, and now you want to join the rush for the official release of ICS. But because of this you now have a non genuine firmware /product codes etc on your phone. If you are running a non-stock ROM Kies will not give you an upgrade. Here is a simple method of preparing your phone to get the release.

Step one is restore your original saved firmware, or to download the stock firmware for your region to create a "clean" and "stock" phone so Kies will update once your provider releases ICS.

If you have no saved ROM then go to
    Check FUS downloader:

http://fus.nanzen.se/download.php?id=12

Download and open Check FUS and find your phone using the drop down, then find the original supplier/carrier ie Voda, Orange, TMob, etc. or punch in your phones original codes and download the firmware.

Backup your data and anything you want to save from your phone just in case something goes wrong. A Nandroid backup is always useful at this point.

Now open Odin and flash the latest "stock" firmware you just downloaded. This will remove root sadly. You may need to unzip the file you downloaded to single file ending in .tar.md5. In Odin put this file in the PDA box and flash as normal.

Now you can connect to Kies to check if your phone provider has released ICS and you will get ICS updated on your phone via Kies. The above should apply to FOTA updates if they are available as well.

The alternative to this is to wait for ICS to be released outside your region and grab your copy via CheckFus or grab a stock Samsung ICS ROM from the stock ROMs sources once released.

Or you can just sit back with your GB and wait for the custom ROMs to be built on ICS before moving to Android 4 which is my preferred choice.