[Q] is the cable inside DK32 same as in DK30 and DK31?

Search This thread

pateksan

Jun 2, 2014
Hi,

This should hopefully be a simple question: is the cable inside DK32 same as in DK30 and DK31?

I'm looking at buying the Z1 compact, but I need to be able to charge it without using the dock or opening the plugs/covers. I'm not taking the risk of using Real Fake cables from ebay, so the only option for me is to use the one from a stripped dock.

There are a lot of websites describing how easy it is to remove the EC21 cable from the DK30 and DK31, and a lot of separate websites reckoning that the cable inside the DK32 is the same. However, I have googled hard and have not found one directly stating that:
EITHER the cable inside DK30, DK31 and DK32 is all the same EC21 and therefore it doesn't matter which dock I buy and strip
OR the cable inside the DK32 is different, but it is just as easy to remove without damaging the cable (I don't mind smashing the dock, I won't use it)

While I'm here, it would also be good to hear people's experiences of using the Z1 or Z1 compact in the rain. Is it actually any better than all the other touch screen phones? Or does it start playing up as soon as it has two raindrops on it? I work outdoors and live in the UK, where it basically rains most of the time you need to do something on your phone outside!

Thanks,
pateksan

darkmystel

Nov 5, 2011
Trivandrum
Hi,

This should hopefully be a simple question: is the cable inside DK32 same as in DK30 and DK31?

I'm looking at buying the Z1 compact, but I need to be able to charge it without using the dock or opening the plugs/covers. I'm not taking the risk of using Real Fake cables from ebay, so the only option for me is to use the one from a stripped dock.

There are a lot of websites describing how easy it is to remove the EC21 cable from the DK30 and DK31, and a lot of separate websites reckoning that the cable inside the DK32 is the same. However, I have googled hard and have not found one directly stating that:
EITHER the cable inside DK30, DK31 and DK32 is all the same EC21 and therefore it doesn't matter which dock I buy and strip
OR the cable inside the DK32 is different, but it is just as easy to remove without damaging the cable (I don't mind smashing the dock, I won't use it)

While I'm here, it would also be good to hear people's experiences of using the Z1 or Z1 compact in the rain. Is it actually any better than all the other touch screen phones? Or does it start playing up as soon as it has two raindrops on it? I work outdoors and live in the UK, where it basically rains most of the time you need to do something on your phone outside!

Thanks,
pateksan

As far the magnetic cable is concerned, all the devices have it of the same size :) which pretty much makes it all the same :) just the dock sizes might vary

Sent from my Xperia Z1 compact

jewelkobayashi

Oct 23, 2007
Hanoi, Vietnam
@pateksan

I have DK30 (for a ultra) and DK32, which it's for Z1C

I will make a few assumptions from your question, so please correct me if I am wrong.

You say that you want to use z1c without a dock, meaning maybe you already know which case for z1c you want to use, which unfortunately does not allow you to use the dock. Or maybe it is for travel purpose, because you want to avoid carrying the bulky dock.
Unfortunate, because one of the attractions of recent xperia devices is the dock. Using magnetic connector directly is less stable and more fiddly.

Anyway, DK30 and DK32 are not the same. DK31 and DK30 use the same cable, EC21, but in DK32 EC21 is not included. There is dock only, and you need to use the micro usb cable provided with the phone to connect to the charger. So if you need ec21, do not buy dk32.

And to get the ec21 out of the dock... my 5 year old son can do it if he was to watch YouTube video on how to do it. Very simple.