[Guide] Returning to Stock and/or Unbricking your device Updated for Android 4.3!!!

Search This thread

nugalonious

Jul 30, 2010
Now I've tried it all. Definitely bricked.

Took back cover off for easier troubleshooting and now have rebooted it hundreds of times with all four of the buttons pressed in different combinations. No idea what the forth button (Key 4 its labeled) even does because there's no button on the outside to access it but I've tried it anyway

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011

Took back cover off for easier troubleshooting and now have rebooted it hundreds of times with all four of the buttons pressed in different combinations. No idea what the forth button (Key 4 its labeled) even does because there's no button on the outside to access it but I've tried it anyway

How did you brick!!??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

nugalonious

Jul 30, 2010
I'm not sure what happened but the last thing I did was flash a recovery then a fastboot reboot. After that only Google logo no matter what I do. Actually had to pull back cover off and pull the battery cause it wouldn't turn off any other way

Went back through my terminal session and the exact commands went like this.

./adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot flash recovery ~/Downloads/openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1-grouper.img
./fastboot reboot

thats it.

Last edited:

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
I'm not sure what happened but the last thing I did was flash a recovery then a fastboot reboot. After that only Google logo no matter what I do. Actually had to pull back cover off and pull the battery cause it wouldn't turn off any other way

./adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot reboot

thats it.

If you still see an image...you shouldn't be bricked. U should try turning your tablet off for 20-30 mins, then holding all 3 buttons at once. Try it plugged in and not plugged in

nugalonious

Jul 30, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion but it is still doing the same thing. I have to unplug to battery to turn it off otherwise it just continually boots to the Google with padlock within 5 seconds and stays there until the battery dies or i unplug it.

Wish Google would actually get back to me. Waited on hold for an hour yesterday just to have a trouble ticket opened.

goku16

Oct 13, 2010
im getting stuck after step 2?
it said waiting for device
anyone have a picture instruction?
thanks a lot

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London

It's not bricked if you see an image

You need to be able to get into the bootloader by using the hardware keys, I read this post thinking they would be in the OP

When the Nexus 7 was announced at I/O JBQ told everyone how to get into bootloader using the hardware keys rather than adb commands. adb commands are fine if the device boots but if you have a semi brick you need to know these keys [and the OP updated accordingly]

jaxadv

Jun 16, 2011
Poole, UK
Great tutorial!
Thank you so much, have tried the MCR rom but I still think we need to wait to have more roms available...

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
I found that if you hold down Vol Up + Vol Down + Power takes you into the bootloader

Maybe update the main post with this OP?

nugalonious

Jul 30, 2010
It's not bricked if you see an image

You need to be able to get into the bootloader by using the hardware keys, I read this post thinking they would be in the OP

When the Nexus 7 was announced at I/O JBQ told everyone how to get into bootloader using the hardware keys rather than adb commands. adb commands are fine if the device boots but if you have a semi brick you need to know these keys [and the OP updated accordingly]

I've literally tried all the keys. Including the vol +and vol- and power probably 25 times. Still the only way it will turn off is by pulling the battery connection. At least the case is easy to open. Google needs customer support badly

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda app-developers app

fung58745

Mar 26, 2007
EOCD not found,not zip

i use the same modern to dobut after
fastboot -w update nakasi-jrn84b-factory-8b0bd791.zip
this word come out
EOCD not found,not zip
what wrong please help

EVOXGSR

Dec 23, 2011
I bricked a few weeks ago prior to the official release of the Nexus 7, luckily I managed to unbrick and load the factory images. I am really glad to see this type of guide out now to help people with my similar sticky situation! Great job!

Reactions: cussco

elijahblake

Feb 18, 2010
Brandon, MS
my dad just bought two nexus 7's.. One for me ;)

The problem is that one of them was already opened, (they said that they were going to put it out for display) but he bought the last two they had..

So the one booted up perfectly...

The one that was already opened, he said it boots up to the welcome screen but it gives him an error message (no connection) and he it's like the touch screen isn't responding...

He lives several hours from me, and I've never touched a nexus 7, but I got him to boot it using the 3 finger method, and when he tried to go into recovery it just stayed at the Google Logo..

I'm trying to get him to do a factory reset..

I don't know if someone has borked it or what?

Any suggestions before he takes it back?

I know if i had my hands on it I could use fastboot etc.. but i don't want to void the warranty since he can return it and get a new one..

Thanks

CHUBBYC0X

Sep 2, 2011
mount washington KY
Had to return to stock today after my nexus 7 was hanging at the Google startup screen. Thanks for the great write up chris.wueste

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
my dad just bought two nexus 7's.. One for me ;)

The problem is that one of them was already opened, (they said that they were going to put it out for display) but he bought the last two they had..

So the one booted up perfectly...

The one that was already opened, he said it boots up to the welcome screen but it gives him an error message (no connection) and he it's like the touch screen isn't responding...

He lives several hours from me, and I've never touched a nexus 7, but I got him to boot it using the 3 finger method, and when he tried to go into recovery it just stayed at the Google Logo..

I'm trying to get him to do a factory reset..

I don't know if someone has borked it or what?

Any suggestions before he takes it back?

I know if i had my hands on it I could use fastboot etc.. but i don't want to void the warranty since he can return it and get a new one..

Thanks

I've actually never seen stock recovery...is there factory reset option in there? Try having him do it while its plugged into the computer. Maybe the wall

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I've actually never seen stock recovery...is there factory reset option in there? Try having him do it while its plugged into the computer. Maybe the wall
Can you get into your CWM recovery via hardware keys? I'm definately stuck in a bootloop after rooting, then flashing new rom and gapps. I didn't wipe, cause I figured that unlocking wiped everything...dang, I never learn.

elijahblake

Feb 18, 2010
Brandon, MS
well, i followed this guide to flash it back to stock image (which it was anyway) and it still hangs at the Welcome screen, the notification pulldown keeps jumping up and down and sometimes it won't even work... I'm guessing it's a hardware defect..... Going to have him return it...

spences10

Jan 18, 2010
London
Can you get into your CWM recovery via hardware keys? I'm definately stuck in a bootloop after rooting, then flashing new rom and gapps. I didn't wipe, cause I figured that unlocking wiped everything...dang, I never learn.

If you can get into the bootloader from holding down the Vol Up + Vol Down + Power keys then you can select recovery from there by using the volume rocker to select 'recovery mode'

well, i followed this guide to flash it back to stock image (which it was anyway) and it still hangs at the Welcome screen, the notification pulldown keeps jumping up and down and sometimes it won't even work... I'm guessing it's a hardware defect..... Going to have him return it...

Yeah, maybe try another rom first if its consistent then I'd have to agree with you

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 at https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/nakasi-jwr66v-factory-d341d356.tgz

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-4.23.img

5) Next type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

6) Now type
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8) If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.3 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

Additionally, here is an instructional video courtesy of XDA user SladeNoctis.

Also, thank you to XDA user Shano56 for the formatting help on this post.
    Nice guide man, I changed the format a little to make it easier to read. Use it if you want, won't be offended if you don't.

First of all, I am in no way responsible for anything you do to your tablet period.

I have seen a couple of people asking how to return the Nexus 7 to stock after it has been unlocked, rooted and so on, so I figured I would write a quick guide as its super easy to do. Also, please make sure you make a backup of anything you don't want to lose. This is important.

Before you begin, please make sure you have ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

1) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

2) Extract the factory image into the same directory as your ADB and Fastboot executibles (e.g. "\android-sdk\platform-tools")

3) Plug in your device. If you are booted into Android, open a command prompt to your ADB and Fastboot directory, then type
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

If your device is powered off, press and hold both volume keys and the power button simultaneously. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch. This should reboot you into the bootloader.

4) Type
    Code:
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img

5) Next type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

6) Now type
    Code:
    fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip

7) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty or security purpouses, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type

Code:
    fastboot oem lock

8) If your tablet hasn't already rebooted automatically, type
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes if you so desire.

If you want to use it and are too lazy to quote my post :p - http://pastie.org/pastes/4279753/text

The commands look good to me however I've never used "fastboot -w update" so can't say for that

1) Make sure you have your ADB and Fastboot drivers installed and working.

2) Download the factory image for the Nexus 7 here

3) Unzip the factory image into the same directory as your Adb and Fastboot drivers.

4) Plug in your device. With the device on the home screen, type "ADB reboot bootloader" or if your device is off, press and hold both volume keys and press the power button. After holding all three buttons for a couple of seconds, your bootloader should launch.

5) This should reboot you into the bootloader. Now type "fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-grouper-3.34.img"

6) Next type "fastboot reboot-bootloader"

7) Now type "fastboot -w update image-nakasi-jrn84d.zip"

8) Optional: If you would like to relock your bootloader for warranty purposes, make sure you are in your bootloader screen again and type "fastboot oem lock"

9) I don't remember if the tablet automatically reboots at this point but if it doesn't just type "fastboot reboot"

That should do it. You should now be on stock Android 4.1 and ready to send in your tablet for warranty purposes.

You should change the title to [Guide] How to return to Stock / Unbrick your Nexus 7

Helps out those getting bootloops or softbricks from geting root access in certain ways or messing with the build.prop
    We are now at Android 4.3. Already booted into it. It works. OP has been updated!!!!!!

./adb reboot bootloader
    ./fastboot reboot

thats it.

If you still see an image...you shouldn't be bricked. U should try turning your tablet off for 20-30 mins, then holding all 3 buttons at once. Try it plugged in and not plugged in