[Root][TWRP][COTR][BOOTLOADERS]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.9 (4/5/13) [1st Gen Only!]

Search This thread

brentil

Sep 12, 2008
I have a rooted KF otter with twrp 2.2.x on it and I'm trying to update to twrp 2.6.x however every time I run KFU to do this it reboots the device into fastboot but then just sits there forever with < waiting for device > and never continues. Any suggestions to try to get this to move forward?

I'm trying to do the update from a W8 64bit system which I know is setup correctly to do this from as it's the same machine I rooted the KF otter with 6 months ago.

brentil

Sep 12, 2008
I have a rooted KF otter with twrp 2.2.x on it and I'm trying to update to twrp 2.6.x however every time I run KFU to do this it reboots the device into fastboot but then just sits there forever with < waiting for device > and never continues. Any suggestions to try to get this to move forward?

I'm trying to do the update from a W8 64bit system which I know is setup correctly to do this from as it's the same machine I rooted the KF otter with 6 months ago.

Hmmmm it seems my KF gets stuck at the "Press power button for boot menu" every time now. I believe there are ADB commands to fix this?

jigga123

Aug 18, 2010
I could really use some help, hoping someone can help me out.

I have a kindle running 6.3.2. I downloaded and set everything up according to instructions. Ran KFU 0.9.9 and selected option 2 to root.

I think it downloaded a file (didn't catch the name) and then it appears to have rebooted into fastboot to install fff I believe? Then my kindle showed the Kindle Fire logo and nothing. KFU says it's waiting for the device but nothing else. Then I checked my device drivers and device manager and my kindle won't show up anymore.

So, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from KFU.
I've tried installing the Android SDK.
I've tried a utility called Firekit booting from Linux.

My device is not recognized, it doesn't list Kindle or amazon or android. It lists it as usb device not recognized. Even in linux it says waiting for device even after I plug it in, it's not recognizing it.

Windows 8, 64 bit

I'm trying other tools to unbrick but the device is not recognized for any of them and I can't get it to recognize the device., Page is still on the Kindle Fire boot logo.

thanks for anyone's help.

goldflame09

Jul 23, 2012
CT
I had the same problem. My fix was to delete your .android folder and then plug the device in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jigga123

Aug 18, 2010
I had the same problem. My fix was to delete your .android folder and then plug the device in

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the help. I was able to fix the issue. What solved it was using a superspeed usb port instead of a normal usb port. For some reason the superspeed one worked. I'm not sure if that advice is somewhere and I missed it. I know there was advice not to use a usb 3 port.

thelonewizard

Nov 22, 2011
Indiana
Malfunctioning

I had rooted my Kindle under the pre-6.2.2 update, and was running a modded stock ROM. It has been sitting there otherwise untouched for over a year. I need an e-book reader, so I powered mine up, and was unable to update any apps. After flashing a CM 10.2 ROM and being unable to use it due to the error message for the com.process.phone thing, I decided I must have missed something.

Basically, I tried using this utility to update FFF/TWRP etc and I couldn't get fastboot to connect. Finally, I flashed a modded stock ROM based on 6.2.2 (thinking I would update through Amazon, and then run this tool.) and it was successful. Then, just for the hell of it, I plugged in my KF to my laptop, and ran the script. I went to the boottype menu, and selected fastboot, just to see what would happen. The script on the screen showed what appeared to be data transfer speeds, and then I turned off my KF, thinking it was frozen or something. Now, I can't get past the FFF screen when I turn it on. I have to press and hold the power button in order to turn it off, and turning it on and trying to boot into recovery doesn't work either, as the KF seems unresponsive to button-pushes. Having not kept up with this community in the last year or so, I can tell I missed a lot and I'm hoping one of you can fill me in and help me out. I'll try to provide as much info as I can, but that's basically the most I can think of.

EDIT: I got the unbricking utility, ran it a few times, and then it started working again. Ergo, this post is no longer needed.

Last edited:

brentil

Sep 12, 2008
Hold the power button at startup to bring up the boot menu and select "reset boot mode".

Thank you, that fixed it.

However every time still when I try to update the TWRP version it re-breaks the boot mode and never actually flashes the new image. I'm using KFU v0.9.9 to do the update.

brentil

Sep 12, 2008
Thank you, that fixed it.

However every time still when I try to update the TWRP version it re-breaks the boot mode and never actually flashes the new image. I'm using KFU v0.9.9 to do the update.

I fixed my issue, I had to shut off signed driver requirement again. For some reason the driver for ADB still worked fine but the fastboot driver was no longer valid. This stuff is just too complicated sometimes...

popa_qwerty

Jun 7, 2012
For some reason I keep getting "Windows cant find 'tool/wget'. Make sure you typed the name in correctly, and than try again." when I run run.bat as an administrator but when I looked the file is there.

I'm using Windows 7
I have installed the drivers

redbean25

Jan 4, 2012
Seattle
For some reason I keep getting "Windows cant find 'tool/wget'. Make sure you typed the name in correctly, and than try again." when I run run.bat as an administrator but when I looked the file is there.

I'm using Windows 7
I have installed the drivers

I remember something about when you run as Administrator, it looks for it in the C:\Windows\system32 folder. So try not running as Admin.

itzmashy

Jan 6, 2013
adb status offline, waiting for device

Windows Verson: Windows 7x64
What steps you have taken: searched thread for relevancy, reinstalled drivers (ran install_drivers.bat), held power button for 10 seconds
What device manager says about your device: i see nothing about the kindle but i have Android Device: Android ADB Interface, if that means anything?
Version of KFU you are using 0.9.9
Exact error you recieve: I'm not receiving an error, I hit 2 to permanently root and it just endlessly says "waiting for device"; KFU says that ADB status is offline and boot status is unknown

I'm not even sure where to go from here :(

thank you in advance for your help!

edit --

Okay so i tried uninstalling the ADB drivers from device manager and deleting everything from .android folder (and rebooting)

now when i tried to do the permanent root, it tried to activate the fastboot but was unable to locate the kindle fire, downloaded twrp.img and fff.bin got a notice saying fastboot uses a differnet device than adb and when it tired to install FFF it got stuck on <waiting on device> again. I rebooted the kindle one more time, but to no avail...

Btw, in device manager, I now have a Kindle Fire -> Android Composite ADB Interface

Uninstalled drivers once again, installed through install_drivers, now I have Android Device -> Android ADB Interface, and I'm still getting <waiting for device> when trying to install FFF (and this is still when I'm selecting Permanent root, and NOT the FFF option

^.^

Last edited:

juaduve

Dec 12, 2011
Hi and thanks for your Job,

I have Rom stock and used your KFU, but i have some problem with google plus, this KFU install older google plus version but when i try to install last version from Google Play I get an error about some libraries...... can you help me? I changed my build prop to make more compatible my tablet in google play, but itsnt enough to install some Apps.

Thanks in advance.

firstrock

Aug 6, 2010
Windows Verson: Windows 7x64
What steps you have taken: searched thread for relevancy, reinstalled drivers (ran install_drivers.bat), held power button for 10 seconds
What device manager says about your device: i see nothing about the kindle but i have Android Device: Android ADB Interface, if that means anything?
Version of KFU you are using 0.9.9
Exact error you recieve: I'm not receiving an error, I hit 2 to permanently root and it just endlessly says "waiting for device"; KFU says that ADB status is offline and boot status is unknown

I'm not even sure where to go from here :(

thank you in advance for your help!

edit --

Okay so i tried uninstalling the ADB drivers from device manager and deleting everything from .android folder (and rebooting)

now when i tried to do the permanent root, it tried to activate the fastboot but was unable to locate the kindle fire, downloaded twrp.img and fff.bin got a notice saying fastboot uses a differnet device than adb and when it tired to install FFF it got stuck on <waiting on device> again. I rebooted the kindle one more time, but to no avail...

Btw, in device manager, I now have a Kindle Fire -> Android Composite ADB Interface

Uninstalled drivers once again, installed through install_drivers, now I have Android Device -> Android ADB Interface, and I'm still getting <waiting for device> when trying to install FFF (and this is still when I'm selecting Permanent root, and NOT the FFF option

^.^

I am having the exact same problem as you. Any updates on your situation?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

From Original thread:

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track.

Rooting has been tested with the latest update (6.3.2) and it works 100%. Be sure to have your device booted up in normal mode before running the root.

Features:
    • Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install COTR Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.
      As of 3/16/2013:
    • Doesn't support CWM for now bad DL link and seems there is no updated, stable version.
    • Automated Dual-Boot installation and Un-Dual Boot
    • Choose Amazon Firmware to update to
    • More to come... This needs a bit of a code re-write from the things I added. Expect it to be updated soon.
    Please feel free to contact me if I should add even more features to this :)

Here are some screen-shots:

More to come...

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Current Downloads:

v0.9.9 Download

Older Downloads:

v0.9.8 Download

Changelog:
    Code:
    4/5/13: v0.9.9 now has an option to install COTR recovery. 
    Squashed a few bugs including the superuser.apk not 
    installing bug.

3/17/13: v0.9.8+ includes even more bug fixes from v0.9.8 
    and now implements the dual boot feature. 
    Please read the README.txt inside the zip.

3/16/13: A few major code bugs fixed. Removed DL link for v0.9.7 
    because of these bugs. 100% tested and working with everything.

3/15/13: Initial upload... v0.9.7

Credits: VashyPooh for script and permission to maintain.

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

If you are asking for help and can't post here, please post in Q&A forums here.
    If you CAN post and are asking for help please provide some required information listed below to receive best solutions right away.

Provide:
    • Windows Verson
    • 32-bit or 64-bit
    • What steps you have taken
    • What device manager says about your device
    • Version of KFU you are using
    • Exact error you recieve
    Awesome! Will this work with Linux too?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

Not yet but I do have plans ;)
    so i lost my root due to the update. tried rooting with the new kfu. well when i slected that option, i selected normal boot. the kindle rebooted. well after it reboot i acidently selected fastboot. the kindle rebooted and i cant get it past the kindle fire screen. now what do i do? please help.

UPDATE: i got it fix. i select the wrong command. it rebooted in to twrp after installing fff, twrp, and setting the recovery bootmode. rebooted and stil didnot achive root. what did i do wrong?

Don't know what you did... Try the root option again. Maybe it will work. Be sure to have run the install_drivers.bat and to double check what option you're selecting and have your kindle powered up and booted into normal mode before running the root option.

I tried to install permanent superuser to get my root back (that it had for 6.3.1) using the 2nd selection but I just have dual boot and no root!
    what happened?

What option did you select? Again, be sure to double check what you select and if you don't want dual boot run the un-dual boot option, then re-run the root option.

To all users:
    This utility has been tested thoroughly. There is no reason to have such major issues if you: A. Follow directions properly and read the onscreen instructions. and B. Run the install_drivers.bat executable and install your drivers. then finally C. Have your device booted up into Normal mode before proceeding with installations unless you are bricked you can have your device in any mode to install TWRP and FFF... :p
    Just puttin that out there so there can be less questions here :)

Good luck to all of you.
    @soupmagnet

Im well aware of my own post in another section.This post is in regards to the kindle fire utility and the bundled drivers and installer. While that post is a more broad post looking for an outside solution to my issue.Since the kindle connects as a adb device, MTP device, and mass storage device there is a more complex setup than most devices
    Okay first off, arguing with another developer about how well their "works" work will get you nowhere on this site and you put yourself at risk of getting a Moderator involved...but that's just some friendly advice from one user to another, so you can take it for what it's worth.

The point of directing you to your original post, where I had posted another link, was so you can educate yourself and have a better foundation that can empower you to make a more educated suggestion/bug report/whatever.

Having said that, if you used the information that you learned from that post, compared it to the way KFU's driver install package works, and respectfully offered a suggestion to the developer that can help to make the KFU work better in more situations, I'm absolutely positive you would get a better response from him and possibly even lead to an updated version that will work in yours and possibly other situations.
    Just picked up the my kindle fire 6.3.2- sorry for the neewb question, however I want to make sure I have the process correct.

download and extract utility to my pc
    run.bat
    install root and SU
    install TWRP
    install FFF
    install custom rom

Thank you for taking the time sorry for the questions

You got it right, except install drivers first before run.bat :p
    Then you just hit the root option and it will install FFF and TWRP on its own ;)

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using xda app-developers app