Standby drain

Search This thread

XDA_RealLifeReview

RealLifeReview Dude
Nov 2, 2015
When you sleep, does your phone sleep, or does it stay up all night and crunch 1s and 0s? Rate this thread to express how you deem the speed at which the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+'s battery drains under standby conditions. A higher rating indicates that when the phone is not in use, the battery drains minimally.

Then, drop a comment if you have anything to add!

Zsomer

Jun 3, 2016
4g drain is much better than it was on the s10, but overnight its still a mixed bag. One night it was 3% overnight, another it was 12%.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
IMO it would be helpful if posters stated SD/Exynos and stock/debloated/custom . My stock SD runs about 0.5 to 1%/hour and I would be very envious if that couple percent per night was stock also. Once I debloat it and get rid of most of the crap I don't use 2 percent per night would be something I would actually expect.

Reactions: fahmiroslee

jhun80

May 27, 2008
If wifi signal is strong, less battery drain. If on LTE and the signal is strong, less drain. BUT if wifi or 4gLTE is weak, expect greater battery drain. Also i turn off GPS for lesser drain.

Reactions: winol

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
Note 10+
Qualcmm
Power save mode
Stock/disabled unused, unneeded apps and services that I don't use or need.
I lose about 3 percent over night, from 8pm to about 4am. Wish adhell was still available I could've saved an additional 1 to 1.5 percent. That's like an additional 10+ minutes of screen on time wasted.

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
  • Note 10+ Exynos
  • Full monty (wifi, 4G, gps, bluetooth, nfc, sync etc .. ALL on!)
  • No power saving settings, no bixby routines to save battery, Full WQHD+
  • Stock
  • disabled apps: Facebook, Write on PDF and Chrome

So basically everything that could be set to ON, I did turn ON. I like to have a smartphone, not a dumbphone.

loses 5% in 6 hours.
Heh heh heh.....that's like having all the lights, TVs and appliances on in the house while you're asleep in the bedroom. But alas it's your phone, do what you will.
I on the other hand did a few more tweaks and now losing about 2% loss from 9 to 4:30 that's about 1% per 3.5 hours compared to your 1.2 per 1%.
It's an asinine notion to think that having all things on at all times somehow makes your phone any smarter than any other. I mean your phone isn't smarter than any dumb phone if it's not being used. The phone might be smart but the user.....well that's still up for debate.

So just a few questions
Why have services on that you're not using or never will use?
Why waste battery power and charge cycles?
Why do you feel that having all those services on when not being used is better than turning them on only when they're needed?

Reactions: winol

jabberwock

Heh heh heh.....that's like having all the lights, TVs and appliances on in the house while you're asleep in the bedroom. But alas it's your phone, do what you will.
I on the other hand did a few more tweaks and now losing about 2% loss from 9 to 4:30 that's about 1% per 3.5 hours compared to your 1.2 per 1%.
It's an asinine notion to think that having all things on at all times somehow makes your phone any smarter than any other. I mean your phone isn't smarter than any dumb phone if it's not being used. The phone might be smart but the user.....well that's still up for debate.

So just a few questions
Why do you feel that having all those services on when not being used is better than turning them on only when they're needed?

I didn't say I do not use services. I use those services and features for automation purposes a lot!.
Let me state it otherwise, I (want to) use the full potential of my device all the time. We are talking about 0.2% battery difference per hour. That is 4.8% battery difference over the course of 24 hours. Since I charge my device at least once somewhere in those 24 hours I do not concider that as an issue. It is such a minor difference I personally don't want to bother myself with the hassle of turning off some features, and keep myself reminding to turn them on again the next morning.

And no.. I do not leave my TV on when not in use. But I also do not leave the screen of my phone on while I sleep. But I do use all the possible features of my TV when using it. See the difference? ;)

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
I didn't say I do not use services. I use those services and features for automation purposes a lot!.
Let me state it otherwise, I (want to) use the full potential of my device all the time. We are talking about 0.2% battery difference per hour. That is 4.8% battery difference over the course of 24 hours. Since I charge my device at least once somewhere in those 24 hours I do not concider that as an issue. It is such a minor difference I personally don't want to bother myself with the hassle of turning off some features, and keep myself reminding to turn them on again the next morning.

And no.. I do not leave my TV on when not in use. But I also do not leave the screen of my phone on while I sleep. But I do use all the possible features of my TV when using it. See the difference? ;)

Hmm, I hear what you're trying to say but your math is wrong. I mean think about it, you lose 5% in 6 hours of idle time, then in a 24 hour period your phone lose 20% of its battery doing nothing.
OK let's put it another way, you lose .83% each hour when you're not using your phone so over a 24 hour period you're only able to use 80% of your battery because 20% is wasted doing nothing.
Over a 5 day period you lose 1 charge cycle count on your battery doing absolutely nothing.

I see that as an extraordinary waste. I on the other hand lose 2% in 7 hours of idle time, that's .26% each hour and about 6% over a 24 hour period. 16 days to lose charge cycle count based on idle time.

.83 vs .26
20 vs 6
5 vs 16
Those are huge differences, so not sure where you got the:

"We are talking about 0.2% battery difference per hour. That is 4.8% battery difference over the course of 24 hours"

But as I've said it's your phone use it how you will. There's no wrong way in using your phone, use it in whatever way meets your needs.
I on the other hand feels that efficiency and battery life are paramount.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190906-053921_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190906-053921_Settings.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1,325

Makonator

Apr 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
  • Note 10+ Exynos
  • Stock

So basically everything that could be set to ON, I did turn ON. I like to have a smartphone, not a dumbphone.

loses 5% in 6 hours.

My man...why buy power phone and than dim screen to 20%, disable all and than brag how you save couple percent of batt...

Anyway I saw you had note 8. I've got it now and thinking of buying note 10...are you happy now that you change it or you feel it was waste of money?...Are cameras at least decent upgrade or?

PsiPhiDan

Oct 27, 2011
Plainfield
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
My man...why buy power phone and than dim screen to 20%, disable all and than brag how you save couple percent of batt...

Anyway I saw you had note 8. I've got it now and thinking of buying note 10...are you happy now that you change it or you feel it was waste of money?...Are cameras at least decent upgrade or?

Not to butt in, but I had a Note8 and Note9 prior to this Note10+. This thing handily wipes the floor with both devices. Huge upgrade from the Note8 for sure!

Reactions: winol and Makonator

lennie

Aug 5, 2007

hehhehhheh "Standby drain" my friend, has nothing to do with dimming screens or SoT. If you're not using the phone why let it drain and go to waste? why not put it to good use like towards more NFC, more wifi, more bluetooth? more Samsung Pay? more Browsing, screen on time? towards more of the services you actually use?
Losing 20% of your battery power in 24 hours doing nothing is just stupid imo. You know....thinking about it, that 20% wasted battery could've given you about 2 to 3 hours of additional SoT. So instead of getting 5 to 6 hours you could be getting 8 to 9. OH what a difference a "couple percent of batt..." could make.
Man, it has nothing to do with bragging but it has a lot to do with common sense.

Reactions: zhudm66

jabberwock

Wait..what? Where I am bragging? I just said I actually use my phone with as much features and options enabled. I simply do not care about saving some extra percent of battery.

regarding the upgrade: yes i'm happy.

Hmm, I hear what you're trying to say but your math is wrong. I mean think about it, you lose 5% in 6 hours of idle time, then in a 24 hour period your phone lose 20% of its battery doing nothing.
OK let's put it another way, you lose .83% each hour when you're not using your phone so over a 24 hour period you're only able to use 80% of your battery because 20% is wasted doing nothing.

"We are talking about 0.2% battery difference per hour. That is 4.8% battery difference over the course of 24 hours"

Again...I do not care about the difference, because the 20% battery loss per 24h is mostly the time when I sleep and not using the phone anyway. Off course when I'm in a situation where I can not charge my phone, I switch off unused options to save battery. But in normal day use I find on/off toggling too much hassle.

Reactions: Cyrax-001

weridenorth

Mar 23, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
You guys should take your conversation into a DM maybe..

Snapdragon
WQHD
Location on
Bluetooth on (Galaxy watch)
Optimized mode, with adaptive battery

Left my phone off the charger last night, 87% at 12:45. woke up at 9:15 to 82, but about 10 seconds after I started using my phone it went to 81%. This a normal standby drain? Forgot to take a screenshot, but it looked/looks like my Android system is always second to screen in the battery section.

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
Wait..what? Where I am bragging? I just said I actually use my phone with as much features and options enabled. I simply do not care about saving some extra percent of battery.

regarding the upgrade: yes i'm happy.
No I don't think he was saying you were bragging at all. I think he was saying people who post great screen on times and prefer more efficient use of their phones are somehow bragging.

Again...I do not care about the difference, because the 20% battery loss per 24h is mostly the time when I sleep and not using the phone anyway. Off course when I'm in a situation where I can not charge my phone, I switch off unused options to save battery. But in normal day use I find on/off toggling too much hassle.
I understand that which is why I said it's your phone, use it how you will.

RoyaL

Jul 7, 2007
I just got my Note10+, 5 days ago, and it is draining 31% !!! overnight (7h of sleep). This is really too much, specially considering it is a big battery...
I leave it with everything on (wifi, bluetooth, nfc, etc). I come from an S8 and, in the same conditions, S8 just drained around 9% over night (with a much smaller battery).

Going to the Battery usage, I don't find anything strange, but I see that the data there is not accurate. For example in the last 1 Day I played a game for 3 hours and the battery usage shows only 40m active for that game.

Don't really know where to start to solve the issue...

lennie

Aug 5, 2007
I just got my Note10+, 5 days ago, and it is draining 31% !!! overnight (7h of sleep). This is really too much, specially considering it is a big battery...
I leave it with everything on (wifi, bluetooth, nfc, etc). I come from an S8 and, in the same conditions, S8 just drained around 9% over night (with a much smaller battery).

Going to the Battery usage, I don't find anything strange, but I see that the data there is not accurate. For example in the last 1 Day I played a game for 3 hours and the battery usage shows only 40m active for that game.

Don't really know where to start to solve the issue...

Woah that is a huge drop I would've lost my mind waking up and seeing that. Did you restore from a backup when setting up your phone? Usually you want to stay away from restoring settings unless going to the same type phone/phone.
Or you have an app that went rogue. Make sure to check your data usage to see if any app used more data that you think it should. Like if you installed a keyboard, it shouldn't be having 300+MB worth of network traffic.
But for what it's worth my guess is it's a Samsung smartswitch restore issue. In which case you'd probably have to do a settings reset or last resort a full reset then only restore your data next time around.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So just a few questions

• Note 10+ Exynos
    • Stock

loses 5% in 6 hours.
    Hey guys just wanted to share a big improvement i noticed after tweaking an app.

I have disabled the common bloatware using Package disabler pro.
    done the usual tweaks in the OS
    what really seemed to help my standby was using an app called Naptime, I have had it for a while and it does help but I enabled a few experimental features and it made a big difference.

heres what I have enabled:

Aggressive doze
    disable motion detection
    disable aggressive doze when charging
    disable aggressive doze during audio sessions
    disable location on doze
    GO TO EXPERIMENTAL AND ENABLE:
    Auto Android battery saver
    disable auto-sync ( u can leave this on if you choose but i turned it off)

After making those settings the standby has really reduced a lot, the app is really good and the dev keeps it updated often.

Not to butt in, but I had a Note8 and Note9 prior to this Note10+. This thing handily wipes the floor with both devices. Huge upgrade from the Note8 for sure!
    Note 10 snapdragon running on Pie, set to optimize but no other power management in use.
    With AOD on it's about 1% an hour.
    Much less if AOD is disabled... pleased with its efficiency.