OTG cable male/female

Search This thread

javiko_bcn

Sep 3, 2012
Hi, anyone buyed an otg cable with male/female micro usb-usb 2.0 to connect external flash drive and keep charging the phone at same time?
I have bought that but only works the usb 2.0, i cant charge the phone. Sorry but i cant post the link of the product, here is a picture of them.

Sry for my english.

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
Make sure you have a 'charge only' lead to the charger (Shows as 'AC connected' not 'USB Connected') or you'll find you won't have enough power to do everything.

dwarf77

Apr 18, 2011
The problem with OTG and simultanous charging is that you'll probably need a custom kernel supporting this.

Because if you use OTG (or a data cable respectively), the phone will only charge with 500 mA max. - this might not be enough to charge your phone while using power-consuming apps (navigation, games,...). If you want the phone to charge faster/draw more current, you'll need to short-circuit the data leads - but then you can't use OTG/data. Tricky...

Last edited:

javiko_bcn

Sep 3, 2012
The problem with OTG and simultanous charging is that you'll probably need a custom kernel supporting this.

Because if you use OTG (or a data cable respectively), the phone will only charge with 500 mA max. - this might not be enough to charge your phone while using power-consuming apps (navigation, games,...). If you want the phone to charge faster/draw more current, you'll need to short-circuit the data leads - but then you can't use OTG/data. Tricky...

I think that is not the reason because if i try to charge only didn't work, i think the charging cable is not compatible with moto g like some chargers specific for some patents.
If someone knows a cable like that to charge and use usb stick or something compatible with moto g I would appreciate.

dwarf77

Apr 18, 2011
The cable is probably working, but the kernel is not supporting it. If you use a USB y-cable, it will power a plugged-in USB stick / device, but not your Moto G. You will need a kernel or tomorrow supporting simultaneous data & charging. Have a look in the Nexus 7 sections, there you'll find more information about this.

javiko_bcn

Sep 3, 2012
The cable is probably working, but the kernel is not supporting it. If you use a USB y-cable, it will power a plugged-in USB stick / device, but not your Moto G. You will need a kernel or tomorrow supporting simultaneous data & charging. Have a look in the Nexus 7 sections, there you'll find more information about this.

Yes, just as I responded you I made a ​​search on the subject and e found a kernel for it but still no one has made for moto motorola g ....
I hope someone does it soon!!!

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Hi, anyone buyed an otg cable with male/female micro usb-usb 2.0 to connect external flash drive and keep charging the phone at same time?
I have bought that but only works the usb 2.0, i cant charge the phone. Sorry but i cant post the link of the product, here is a picture of them.

Sry for my english.

wow i never knew a cable like this existed. i have the normal usb otg cable.

ashut0sh

Jan 27, 2012
Muktsar

Sry for my english.

This is interesting but did you check this out:
The jack of all trades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ0ScWa9idk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Its :
1. Wireless SD Card reader
2. 3000mAh Portable USB charger
3. USB flash disk reader
4. USB external HDD
5. SDD
6. NAS File reader
7. WiFi hotspot