[GUIDE] How to root your ZTE Android device

Search This thread

wbaw

Hey I cant acess adb after doing adb reboot bootloader. When I come to the chinese letter I cant do nothing. So i cant fastboot flash recovery recovery-xxx.img.

What im i doing wrong?

fastboot is different to adb, you shouldnt be able to access adb after you reboot bootloader - because it's in fastboot mode.

What error do you get when you try to fastboot flash ?

tcmixx

Nov 20, 2010
fastboot is different to adb, you shouldnt be able to access adb after you reboot bootloader - because it's in fastboot mode.

What error do you get when you try to fastboot flash ?

this is what I do.

- Put the Superuse zip on to the SD card.
- adb reboot bootloader
- when the zte screen comes up I do cd C:\users\tommy\downloads\
- Then: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade

I get the message "fasboot is not a internal command, external command, program or commandfile."

Amphoras

Oct 15, 2011
amphoras.co.uk
Try fastboot-windows (if you're on windows). Also make sure you downloaded fastboot and have it in the same directory you're running the command from (so C:\users\tommy\downloads\ here)

wbaw

this is what I do.

- Put the Superuse zip on to the SD card.
- adb reboot bootloader
- when the zte screen comes up I do cd C:\users\tommy\downloads\
- Then: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade

I get the message "fasboot is not a internal command, external command, program or commandfile."

You need to download & unzip the fastboot executable & put it in the same directory, or in your path.

The link to download fastboot is in the first post, download the win32 version & unzip it in your downloads directory, then try again.

tcmixx

Nov 20, 2010
Okey Thanks. I'll try that. Does this work with 2.3.5 ZTE rom? I want to go back to the stock one 2.2. So is it just to install clockworkmod then flash a 2.2 rom? or do i need to do something else?

tcmixx

Nov 20, 2010

So ill just flash that zip file threw clockworkmod or should I use the image to flash via fastboot?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got it to work. I did this to get it to work. Maybe this will help someone. Thanks for the help i have been given above.

- Http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19656812&postcount=18 use the image folder and add to the root of your sd card.

- Then you go into Settings -> About phone -> System Updates -> Memory updates -> Click OK

- You will now boot in to Clockworkmod Recovery. Make Wipe etc..

- Mount SD card. Then use a custom rom or an original rom place it on the root of your sd card.

- Flash from sd card. Restart.

Last edited:

vijaykirann

I installed recovery from ROM manager but when I tried to boot into recovery using ROIM manager it booted to recovery mode with menu displayed upside down.also there are only 4 options in it
Please help to display recovery mode in proper orientation..
Thanks in Advance ..
Device : Dell XCD35
prmnt root with z4root and used room manager to install CWM

[] AL []

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks Wbaw

I just followed your guide to install CM7 on my gf's chinese Blade and that made her phone alive from what was pretty much a crawling state. Her phone has only 256MB and from that it seems that only 150-160MB of RAM is available for system apps. So CM7 is a clear benefit here compared to the crappy stock rom.

The only thing is that (like you and Amphoras mentioned above) we don't really have to install the fastboot. So maybe this part of the OP should be changed:

"Method:

Download/install adb & fastboot. Install drivers for the phone if needed (on Windows)."

to:

"Method:

- Download/install adb & install ZTE drivers for the phone if needed (on Windows).
- Extract the fastboot.zip and place fastboot.exe in the same folder as you placed to recovery-clockwork-[version]-blade.img to."

Also, I'm not 100% sure if it is really needed, but once we've installed the Android SDK, it warns us that it needs the installation of a JDK. So would a comment about this on the OP required?

Other than that, all good!! and thanks again.

P.S.: I'm kind of pissed to see that her phone -which was 3 times cheaper than my Defy btw- has an unlocked bootloader and mine doesn't [damn you Motorola!].

bluntman420

Dec 15, 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Will this work on a ZTE n762? Will clockwork for the blade work for the n762?If clockwork will work then rooting would be easy. I have tried everything for the n762 and it wont root. I have held off at flashing clockwork because i see no way to recover the phone with stock image if it bricks like samsungs odin or lg's emergency mode. Someone please help?

wbaw

Will this work on a ZTE n762? Will clockwork for the blade work for the n762?If clockwork will work then rooting would be easy. I have tried everything for the n762 and it wont root. I have held off at flashing clockwork because i see no way to recover the phone with stock image if it bricks like samsungs odin or lg's emergency mode. Someone please help?

No idea, I don't have an n762.

You'll probably need to make your own clockworkmod either using the kernel from a boot.img extracted from your phone, or by asking whoever you bought your phone from for kernel source code (they're legally obliged to supply it under the terms of the GPL).

bluntman420

Dec 15, 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Hey, thanks for helping me out. I do know how to extract the boot.img but dont know the first thing about creating a custom clockworkmod from the phones kernel. Would you please be able to point me in the right direction?It is very appreciated. THANKS

wbaw

You might even be lucky & the blade version might work. If not try splitting the blade recovery.img & your working boot.img then add the zImage from your phone's boot.img along with the ramdisk from the blade clockwork into a recovery.img. If that doesn't work then you'll probably have to compile clockworkmod & use the zImage from your phone.

The hard bit might be getting the boot.img

yachimya

Jun 12, 2011
< waiting for device >

Hi,

Thank you for your guide to flash this. But I seem unable to get it working, where I am stuck at the warning of <waiting for device> when I was trying to flash recovery.

My steps were,
1. put superuser in sd card.
2. unzip fastboot and putting the recovery*.img on the same directory.
3. adb reboot bootloader
4. when green android comes up, fastboot flash.... img
5. warning <waiting for device> comes up and never goes away.

Could anyone help me please? :confused:

wbaw

Hi,

Thank you for your guide to flash this. But I seem unable to get it working, where I am stuck at the warning of <waiting for device> when I was trying to flash recovery.

My steps were,
1. put superuser in sd card.
2. unzip fastboot and putting the recovery*.img on the same directory.
3. adb reboot bootloader
4. when green android comes up, fastboot flash.... img
5. warning <waiting for device> comes up and never goes away.

Could anyone help me please? :confused:

You need to install drivers if you're using Windows, or use root for fastboot if you're on Linux.

Reactions: yachimya

yachimya

Jun 12, 2011
You need to install drivers if you're using Windows, or use root for fastboot if you're on Linux.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I also did install the driver too. when I typed adb devices. it shows up connected. but it is still stuck at that warning when I tried to follow the instruction. Any more advice? TA.

Anicane

Mar 30, 2008
Ålesund
Hi,

Can someone help me with unrooting please ? i have to sent my ZTE blade for repair, and i need to be unroot, or they will not repair it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This method doesn't rely on any root exploits & will work with any Android version on the ZTE Blade (and all variants). It should work on any phone with an unlocked bootloader (all zte android devices are sold with unlocked bootloaders).

Software needed:

adb (windows/linux/mac versions available as part of the android sdk - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html You will find adb in the tools directory.)
    fastboot (windows/linux/mac versions available here: http://koushikdutta.blurryfox.com/G1/ )
    windows drivers for the phone (if you use windows: http://support.zte.com.cn/support/news/NewsDetail.aspx?newsId=1000442 )
    ClockworkMod (http://clockworkmod.com/rommanager - download zte blade clockwork recovery image)
    SuperUser ( http://androidsu.com/superuser/ Download Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb (2.1 – 3.2) version) - Alternatively you can use any rooted custom rom
    If your phone is running Android 2.1, then it is probably a 'gen1' device, search for "Mr Pigfish" on Android market if you're unsure. Gen1 blades will need an older version of clockworkmod, 3.0.1.4 - http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img

Method:

Download/install adb & fastboot. Install drivers for the phone if needed (on Windows).

Plug your phone into your pc using the usb cable, mount usb storage, then copy the Superuser or custom rom zip onto it & unmount usb storage.

Make sure that usb debugging is enabled on your phone, there should be an icon in the status bar, you can enable it in settings (settings -> applications -> development -> usb debugging).

Open a command terminal window & change to the directory that you downloaded recovery-clockwork-[version]-blade.img to. Type...
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    This will make the phone reboot, wait for the android logo (or custom splash screen) on the phone then type...
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-blade.img
    fastboot reboot

You have just installed ClockworkMod recovery. Your phone will reboot back into android, when it has done that turn it off, then turn it on with the vol- button held to start clockworkmod. Use vol+/- to navigate, home button to select an option, back button to go back. You should create a backup now before you flash anything, when that backup is complete use 'install zip from sdcard' to either install superuser to root your stock rom, or install a custom rom. If you're installing a custom rom then you'll need to wipe data/factory reset too (you will lose all data). reboot, you're done.
    Can ZTE Blade V6 be rooted with this method?
    Zte blade v7

Hello! Sorry to ask... but this method is working also for the new generation of Blade?? i ve just bought a new ZTE BLADE V7,, do you know something about this model?
    Custom roms are already rooted. You don't need to root a custom rom, you just install it with clockworkmod.

If you already have a custom rom installed then you don't need any of this guide, you've already got clockworkmod. All this guide does is tell you how to install clockworkmod.

This is for people with phones on a stock rom who want to be able to install clockworkmod to root their stock rom or install a custom rom.

You shouldn't still be using Android 2.2 because the root exploit in z4root works on it, therefore other more malicious apps could use a similar exploit without asking you first.
    Is there a way to unlock the bootloader of the ZTE Nubia Z60 Ultra?