[Hack] Kindle Guide for Transformation to Android Tablet

Search This thread

heldgop

Oct 8, 2008
thanks for the TUT, worked great for me.

but i have problems getting chrome to work, the apk sugested here is an old beta and wont work.
i tried the old apk that worked on the stock kindle (without connection to google ofcourse) and that does work right after installation, even loggin into my google acc worked. but after the next reboot i get the "critical funtionallity requiered..." message and it crashes.

is sbdy using chrome?

edit: ok, just dont make chrome a system app and it will work.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
thanks for the TUT, worked great for me.

but i have problems getting chrome to work, the apk sugested here is an old beta and wont work.
i tried the old apk that worked on the stock kindle (without connection to google ofcourse) and that does work right after installation, even loggin into my google acc worked. but after the next reboot i get the "critical funtionallity requiered..." message and it crashes.

is sbdy using chrome?

edit: ok, just dont make chrome a system app and it will work.

How do you make it an non system app?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Alpha Gamer

May 7, 2011
For me, this happened until I removed the kindle adb drivers I found elsewhere, and then added the kindle link and installed those drivers. Try deleting the drivers from device manager while the KF is connected, then remove the kindle. Run the driver installer downloaded to the android SDK folder.

Try opening a command prom p t and running the following command.

adb devices

You should get a response saying that there is something connected. If you get a blank response the .bat file won't work.

Posted using my Kindle Fire 2.

She says she already tried that before I posted the first time

outbackpaul

Oct 16, 2009
North Carolina
I can adb into my Kindle Fire 2 but the RootMany script doesn't work. See my attached screenshot.

Attachments

• ScreenShot020.jpg
    ScreenShot020.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 249

erg.cgs

Mar 19, 2012
I just wanted to throw this out there since it wasn't clear to me. For those people having connection issues, make sure you are using a good cable . I used the one in the box from amazon. Also, you must have the android sdk installed. See my earlier post for a link from amazon for a step by step for the kindle specifically. After I installed the sdk, all of my connection issues went away. Pay close attention to the troubleshooting part where it talks about the wrong drivers.

outbackpaul

Oct 16, 2009
North Carolina
I just wanted to throw this out there since it wasn't clear to me. For those people having connection issues, make sure you are using a good cable . I used the one in the box from amazon. Also, you must have the android sdk installed. See my earlier post for a link from amazon for a step by step for the kindle specifically. After I installed the sdk, all of my connection issues went away. Pay close attention to the troubleshooting part where it talks about the wrong drivers.

If I can adb I assume I don't have a connection issue, right?

dcsmaniatico

Aug 19, 2008
I'm unable to upgrade Apex Launcher. It says there is an available update whether I choose the Google Play route or to download it via the browser. I get the following error after installing:

"package file was not signed correctly. Uninstall the previous copy of the app and try again"

I'm also finding that if I install any other launcher and then hit the home button I'm never prompted to choose the default launcher.

Any ideas?
Any new luncher you want to installmust be placed in system/app apk or use toolbox and follow instructions to install as a system apk

Rix

Mar 5, 2007
Is there anyway to replace the soft keys with the standard ICS soft keys?

iytrix

Dec 23, 2012
San Jose
We would need a modified boot.img/kernel for that. Or even an actual hardware hack to remap the buttons.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Really? Damn. I've hated those soft buttons since day 1. Take up too much screen, semi useless, and if your screen acts up or the buttons go away? LOL good luck, power off your device and back on again. I see the potential but I've never had anything but issues with them. I see them being useful on a hacked phone, change the size to be smaller, add more feature to the buttons, allow them to hide like the kindles do instead of just turning into dots. Overall though I've seen more issues caused by them than not.

I DO like on tablet how the status bar and nav bar are one, that's a useful thing for them....but the kindle doesn't do that, which utterly baffles me.

rayaner

Oct 17, 2011
Maybe anybody has a quick solution.
I deletet some system APK Files. My problem is now that I can't access the storage overview in the settings menu.

djjoep

Aug 23, 2007
a little help

I will say that I did this and it works perfect !!!! only one question for anyone to help with, is there a way to change the icons on the bottom of the screen (house arrow star magnifying glass)

mammenj

Sep 12, 2010
I can confirm this works awesome, had the problem with adb but after installing the correct drivers everything looks good.

Only problem is gmail fc every time I open it. Any workaround is appreciated for gmail because don't want to use Amazon email app.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
I can confirm this works awesome, had the problem with adb but after installing the correct drivers everything looks good.

Only problem is gmail fc every time I open it. Any workaround is appreciated for gmail because don't want to use Amazon email app.

Turn off gmail notifications in gmail settings. If you keep trying ti start gmail eventually it should let you into settings. Took me like ten tries

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mammenj

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a guide to transform your Kindle Fire 2 Generation into a full working android tablet (Android UI, Google APPS, Play Store, Widgetsssss etc.) :D. UPDATED 12/21/2012
    That said. I have no ownership of any of the programs or files discussed. This is just stuff i gathered to make my Kindle Fire ROCKKKKK, Do this at your own risk, I am not responsible if you brick your device or void your warranty by doing any of this. Also please give to the developers that took of their time to create the programs and make your crappy reader into something awsome.

Please read complete article before you begin. Again I am not responsible if you brick your device or void your warranty by doing any of this.
    2/2/2013

We have fully funtional roms for Kindle. Fire 2. I will not be posting any more posts since a full ROM experience is way better in my opinion. But for people that dont want to fully convert and for documentation I will leave the posts. Have fun!!!!

Change lockscreen ( Work around instating No Lock from android market and then instaling your favorite lockscreen from market thanks to tip from fmkilo), change search engine (I tried instaling google search to no luck, if some one can help please comment, some ideas where told, will try soon) :eek:

Procedure to transform Kindle Fire 2 Generation into a fuctional android tablet,

1. ADB enabled and Allow Unknown source APK and Amazon account registered

This is simple just go to your Kindle Eyelid and hit

(+)More...--> Security-->Enable ADB ON

and

(+)More...--> Device-->Allow Instalation of Applications ON

Install Amazon account as root may not let you create one

2. Root and Super User

In order to change the UI and install a few missing apk in the Kindle Fire system folder we need Super User and Root access.
    Below is a link that will show you how to install root. It is ment for the Kindle 7 HD but works perfect on our Kindle Fire Second Generation ( I last used it on OS version 10.2.4 and worked)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35156970

3. Install UI, and Google Apps

Now that we have root access we need to place a few apk on the system/app folder of the Kindle Fire to change the UI and have fuctional Google apps.

For that we need to modify ES File Explorer settings

go to Settings--> Root Setings Check First 3 Boxes (Root Explorer, Up to Root, Mount File System)

Now is just simple we need to move a few apk to the system/app folder.

All Needed

Android UI
    IMPOTANT Choose an Andoid UI. There are a lottttt of User Interfaces for android. Like APEX Luncher, Go lancher, Nova launcher ect. to choose. I will use APEX launcher which works great on the Kindle Fire but you can install the one you love, you can change it later by removing the apk form systems/app and placing a diferent one.

http://www.papktop.com/apex-launcher-1-3-5.html

Google APPS
    We need to install a few of the googles apps for the google play and Gmail to work so please download all of the above.

Google services framework apk
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=889863&d=1328536031
    Google Play store apk
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2046533
    Google youtube apk
    http://www.androiddrawer.com/6750/download-youtube-4-1-23-app-apk/#.UM5sFm_oTl8
    Google chrome apk
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1485473

Once you downloaded all of this apk simply paste them on your system/app folder and reboot the device.

When the device turns on again it will start updating. Unlock the device and will ask you which UI you prefer TO USE, choose APEX IMPORTANT I suggest that you test the UI first and then check the box to make this the defalt UI this can brick your device if the UI is not running Properly ( if you want to make the change permanent select the check box below, if not everytime you press the home button or restart will ask you to choose)

You will now see a familiar Android UI. Congratulations your Kindle Fire is not as crappy and has fully funtional google play, widgets and live wallpapers. :victory:

4.Prevent OS update, Loss of ROOT and all your Mod work

Every time your divice gets an update will automaticaly loose root. Thanks to crappy amazon these updates will get pushed and you cant stop them from the settings menu. Localy we can stop it with 2 options

A. Quick fix (will go into OTA update if Droidwall apk is turned off)
    Localy we can stop them by placing a firewall like DroidWall and blocking the access ( i dont know which part to block to prevent it from updating so I just simply Check the apps I want use the internet)

Simply download DroidWall from the Google Play Store. The program is really simple just check which apps you want to let use internet, the rest leave unchecked.

B. Hard fix (will never go into OTA update unless you rename the file again) thanks to tip from fmkilo

To make change permanent go into the systems menu and rename /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip

5. Change Lookscreen

To change the lockscreen we need a few apk from the android market.
    A. No Lock
    B. Rom toolbox
    C. Your favorite lookscreen ( I use Picture Password a copy of Windos 8 lockscreen)

Simply install Rom Toolbox, No lock, and lockscreen form market.

Open Rom toolbox and select App Manager find No Lock from the list and long press it. A menu will pop up, select "Convert to system app". Reboot device ( To skip this step you can also download No Lock apk from internet and place it on system/app)

Open No lock and hit enable, now you have no stock lockscreen, feel free to install your favorite lockscreen.

5. Fix Kindle Reader

This will delete kindle's original app for ever back up kindle app somewhere to restore

Go to system/app and save kindleforoter apk somewhere on your kindle and then delete it from system/app
    Reboot device
    Install Kindle Reader from Play Store

That is it. HAVE FUN

If you have any updates on this Tutorial please feel free to comment.
    Hi guys, the guide is good and it works flawlessly. I'm UK kindle fire 2 last update.

I was actually able to get rid of the lock screen using widget locker lock screen which I had purchased a while back for a phone.
    Put it inside system/app and started it. I'm using root helper option to ensure it kicks in.
    Even when I restart the kindle, if you wait for it to boot completely, it will take over stock lock screen.
    Awesome stuff. Not only the stock one is gone, but I get to also customize my own.

Beautiful widgets only worked after copying the apk from data/app into system/app

SEARCH
    A workaround for search is to download google search from aptoide and widget locker can be set to start it.
    Or to use a shortcut on desktop to an activity via the launcher and selecting google search.
    Also moved the apk to the system/app but may no be necessary. Now to rename the certs file to prevent ota update...
    [EDIT] I have managed to get it as the default search but not exactly sure how :) might have to do with the fact that i renamed the UnifiedSearch.apk after i installed google search and rebooted. Said something about upgrading the system but i have not found a way (yet) to revert back so do it at your own risk (and let me know if it is reversible lol).

As for the root bowser app, not necessary.
    ES file explorer can do it all, just check the settings and allow root, browse root folder and mount system as writeable.

Feels great to finally have some control! So cool that you can start the normal kindle os via a shortcut icon on the desktop, or directly to kindle docs, where my own free books are :)

so now we know lockscreen can be removed and google search can be used - this is fun!! ;)

Sent from my hacked KFOT using xda app-developers app
    I just wanted to add my experiences into the mix in hopes that it will help someone else.

My wife bought this kindle for our daughter to have as a gaming/learning/head ache for me tablet. Once I found out that amazon requires a CC just to download free apps, I knew that wasnt going to fly. So here I am.

First let me say this:

DONT BE AN IDIOT LIKE ME!!!
    The first couple of times I ran the RootManyAndroid and Qemu scripts the scripts appeared to be working but the kindle just sat there looking at me. After my tethered internet quit working, I quickly realized that having my phone plugged into my laptop for power while tethering the internet was a bad, bad, bad idea. I completely fuxxored my phone with those scripts. Semi luckily for me, I was planning on trying a new rom anyways. So after reflashing my phone and getting it working again I proceeded with the kindle.

At first I had the issues that FastVan was having that when i started the root scripts it wouldnt connect to my kindle. Then even though the page for the scripts says no other files are necessary i followed the instructions here (https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html) for installing the Android SDK to connect to the Kindle. Then I used the adb commands listed on that page to make sure i was connecting to the kindle.

After that, I had to move the Qemu root script files to the platform tools directory in the SDK folder for the Android SDK development software. I only copied files that didnt exist and didnt overwrite any files that already were in the directory. Then I copied the root many android scripts to the SDK root directory, and all of the files in the stuff directory into the platform tools again without overwriting existing files. Finally I renamesd the platform-tools directory to stuff.

Once I did that, I ran the runme.bat file from Root Many Android utility. The first time or two I got the permissions error similar to Fargodude and Barberboy. However my kindle was behaving very oddly. It was super slow and it kept flickering the Kindle Fire bootscreen. Since it seemed to be taking the adb commands from the script I tried the Qemu scripts in the now renamed stuff directory. That one seemed to work great.

After all of that, I looked and Superuser was installed and appeared to be working. So just for good measure I ran the Root Many Android script again and this time it worked great. Then i ran the Qemu script again and all seemed to work well.

At this point I realized I didnt have the ES File Explorer app. So, silly me, not having a credit card linked to my daughter's amazon account couldnt get it. So I then had to change the amazon account to mine to download the app from the amazon market. Then i got ES File Explorer, and used APK Manager to back up the Play Store Apk, GooglePlayServices. and Apex Launcher from my phone. Then followed the instructions from Imsully's post earlier in the thread to get the play store to work.

Now things are working well. However there are a few things to note.

1: Every time I reboot the Kindle the play store stops working. To get it working again, I have to use ES File Explorer to reinstall the Vending.apk, then the Play Store apk to make it work again.
    2: When I first set up the Play store, again, I wasnt thinking about my intended purpose and used my google account instead of my daughters. Now I cannot get another account into the play store. I set up my daughters account under the accounts management in the play store but it wont let me select it as the one to be linked. So, I had to remove my CC from my google wallet until there is a fix. But this is at least better than Amazon in that she can still download free apps, just cant charge anything.

Turn off gmail notifications in gmail settings. If you keep trying ti start gmail eventually it should let you into settings. Took me like ten tries

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
    tried it more than 10 times but no luck.

I used KindleFree from the play store to install the GApps, and everything worked fine.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk HD