safe to OC on rooted stock rom?

Search This thread
Feb 12, 2014
Carson City
I was looking to OC but I am hesitant since I am running a stock rom even though I am rooted. I have SetCPU and CPUTuner but I just don't know what would be a good speed to set it to. I don't want to run too hot but I would like to be a bit faster. I read other forums about OC with custom roms and they said no higher then 2106mhz or something like that. I just want to know if that would be a safe speed for stock rom.

ricco333

Jul 24, 2012
Miami, FL
I was looking to OC but I am hesitant since I am running a stock rom even though I am rooted. I have SetCPU and CPUTuner but I just don't know what would be a good speed to set it to. I don't want to run too hot but I would like to be a bit faster. I read other forums about OC with custom roms and they said no higher then 2106mhz or something like that. I just want to know if that would be a safe speed for stock rom.

Where did you get a custom kernel for the stock ROM that allows overclocking? As far as I know you have to flash a CM10.2 or CM11 ROM in order to be able to run a custom kernel with overclocking capabilities.
Check the General Section for the kernel.

Erik

Nigglenuts

Apr 16, 2013
Denver
@ricco333, I rooted my phone using this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2276652, so I am not sure what kernel was put on my phone. As far as I know, it is the stock kernel. I have messed around with overclocking and it allows me to do so, I just would like to do know whats the highest I should go to avoid damaging my device. What app do you think would be best for overclocking? I have SetCPU and CPU Tuner.

I don't think you can overclock the stock kernel simply by rooting. The kernel has to have the capabilities to do so. If you want, there is a great kernel that I am using. In the general section, you'll have to flash either a 4.3x or 4.4x ROM to use it.

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using xda app-developers app

Neroga

Feb 7, 2012
Saint Cloud, Florida
I don't think you can overclock the stock kernel simply by rooting. The kernel has to have the capabilities to do so. If you want, there is a great kernel that I am using. In the general section, you'll have to flash either a 4.3x or 4.4x ROM to use it.

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using xda app-developers app

Read my last post in that thread. DON'T GO ABOVE 1.89GHz.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app