[How-To] Unlock ATT/T-Mobile on 2.3.5 OTA

Search This thread

PhotonMB855Noob

May 21, 2014
First and foremost, I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to the OP and those who made this possible... my daughter is a happy camper right now even though I am a little embarrassed to say that it took me almost 10 hours to make the flash happen. :fingers-crossed:

I also have to say that even though I know my way around computers, I know absolutely nothing about Linux or Android phones as I have never owned one until this Photon MB855 from Sprint that my brother send me.

This phone was use with US Sprint but it was Unlocked for International GSM as my brother said he used it when he was Overseas in Central America. As I understand it, it was "Locked" for US Carriers.

The simple reason why I register is because I wanted to say Thanks but also because there are a few things that were not at all clear to me and I want to see if I can fix them or understand them and also perhaps help other noobs like myself.

The directions of the how to were simple but, perhaps a bit complex for noobs like me that again, know nothing about Android, the phone or Linux and the lingo (like CWM, ROM, etc, etc)... perhaps this is why it took me so long to finish, I literally had to google most everything :p

Anyway, the first question is that my daughter just let me know that she can not listen to music when she plugs the headphones on the audio jack and I was wondering if this is because I need to install another file or the one I use was somehow corrupted, perhaps a simple setting or option somewhere that I omitted... she has tested 2 different headphones and her headphones work on another phone so we can discard her headphones as being bad. I have also called my brother and he said he used it everyday on his car to listen to Pandora through the car speakers so the audio jacked was working.

The second question and perhaps the answer to a few things bothering me is the Peetr’s Hybrid Rom... the directions say to use the "HybridGBv20locked.zip" but once you get on that link there are multiple options and here is where the Noobness comes in to play.

Suffice to say I ended up using the "2.3.5_USC_19 modules - for locked 2.3.5 Electrify users (same like in v16)" even though it says 2.3.5 Electrify and I have a Photon MB855 but I thought that since I had version 2.3.5, it was the one I needed to use. I bricked and revive this thing so many times it wasn't funny. The wifi finally worked but the 3G barely gives me a bar or two, which btw, this is not a big deal since kids these days barely use the phone to call people, it is all about text and messages.:D

The reason I use d2.3.5 Electrify is because, the other choice was "v20 for locked - ready for 254_13 ota, but flash 254_12 libmoto_ril.so after flashing the rom" but being a Noob I did not know what 254_13 ota means and I was afraid to really mess the phone up (this is the part where I state that the directions were a bit complex for noobs lol). Hell, as of today, I have tried to google what OTA means but to no avail. :eek:

There is a 3rd option, "Signed 198_7 kernel with modules - only for 2.3.4 sv1 locked or unlocked users" but it clearly states that it is only for 2.3.4 so I stayed away from it. Also, I was afraid to use the above v20 because I figured it was part of this 2.3.4 because the was no dot (.) at the end of the line... I know, stupid but when you are a noob, everything seems HUGE, CONFUSING and SCARY :good:

So, in short, now I am guessing that I should have used v20 locked + the 254_12 links and not the Electrify... am I right to believe this?

If so... somebody take pity on me and tell me what would be the easiest way to make the change.

Sorry for the long rant, at my age, you tend to go for the most explanatory posts and you end up with a bible sometimes. :cool:

Last edited:

Chot-zm

Feb 2, 2015
Motorola Sunfire HELP!!

Forgive me for bringing this post back to life but I need help:silly:... My phone is stuck in boot looping and I have tried factory reseting it several times but its still stuck in boot loop... Is there a way I can recover it... I know the phone is old but its still good and I cannot let it go even after upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy Core 2... please help

Doballa

Oct 11, 2011
Forgive me for bringing this post back to life but I need help:silly:... My phone is stuck in boot looping and I have tried factory reseting it several times but its still stuck in boot loop... Is there a way I can recover it... I know the phone is old but its still good and I cannot let it go even after upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy Core 2... please help

If your phone is unlocked you can just flash a new ROM. If its locked you may have to flash the 2.3.5 USC stock ROM with rsd lite then flash the photon modules in boot strap. I suggest you read up on this before you start so you don't end up hard bricking.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app

Chot-zm

Feb 2, 2015
If your phone is unlocked you can just flash a new ROM. If its locked you may have to flash the 2.3.5 USC stock ROM with rsd lite then flash the photon modules in boot strap. I suggest you read up on this before you start so you don't end up hard bricking.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Free mobile app
I got the stock ROM and RSD lite but when I try and flash it gives an error message "Please check the input file. Either XML format is wrong or image files associated with it are missing" is there something I'm doing wrong and is there another program I can use to flash the ROM?
:silly:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 131

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT: This guide is for users with a Motorola Photon 4G (MB855) running the 2.3.5 OTA update only. For the lucky ones still running 2.3.4, you want this thread. For those of you who don’t know what version of Android you are running, DO NOT try this. Please read these forums carefully and learn everything you can before attempting this.

This guide is based on the work of halfevildruid and his thread for unlocking GSM for Photon users on 2.3.4 with unlocked bootloaders. All users should take the time to carefully read through that thread here and keep in mind that it was written for 2.3.4/unlocked bootloader users. Some files and steps in that thread will not work on Photons that have had the 2.3.5 OTA applied.

Unlocking US GSM Carriers on 2.3.5 OTA

Before You Start:
    Doing this will remove the domestic GSM carrier lock on the Sprint Photon running 2.3.5 OTA. This process will most likely break your ability to return to Sprint service, so please DO NOT DO THIS if you want to keep your Photon running on Sprint. There are ways to fix this, but none have been tested on 2.3.5 OTA devices. As far as I know, this method has been confirmed to work on three phones (including mine), so consider this experimental and high risk. I am not responsible for bricked phones, warranty issues, cats chasing dogs or hot snow falling up if you try this.

Things You Need:
    1.Windows PC (tested on Win 8) with the following software installed:
    -Motorola USB Drivers [Download]
    -RSD Lite [Download]
    -ADB Tools/Android SDK [Download] (Not really necessary, but helpful if you have USB issues.)​
    2. Micro USB cable and wall charger (needed for bootstrap recovery)
    3. Standard (full size) SIM card for US GSM network. (ATT/T-Mobile/Straight Talk)
    4. Micro SD card (not necessary, but good just in case)
    5. Motorola Photon running 2.3.5 OTA ONLY

Files You Need:
    1.Full US Cellular Electrify SBF [Download]
    2. Unbrick SBF [Download]
    3. Electrify/Photon (almost) One Click Root [Download]
    4. Bootstrap Recovery [Download]
    5. Peetr’s Hybrid Locked 2.3.5 ROM [Dev Thread/Download]
    -HybridGBv20locked.zip​
    6. KDDI Radio [Download]

If any links do not work, most can be found at www.motosunfire.com.

Steps
    1. Backup Your Stuff!
    2. Shutdown phone and remove SIM/SD card (if applicable)

-Tip: Leave your battery cover off. There’s going to be a lot of battery pulls…​
    3. Open RSD Lite on your computer.
    4. Start phone in RSD mode:

-With phone unplugged hold volume-down and power
    -It should say fastboot in the top left corner, press volume-down until RSD appears
    -Connect phone to computer
    -Press volume-up to enter RSD mode​
    5. Select the full US Celluar SBF in RSD lite and press start.
    -This process takes a few minutes and will end in an error, this is normal.
    -The phone may hang on the dual core screen, if so pull the battery.
    -The phone will either do two things:
    -Bootloop with the US cellular logo
    -Boot normally to home screen​
    -In either case, pull the battery and follow the steps to enter RSD mode again.​
    6. Once you are in RSD mode again, flash the Unbrick SBF
    -This should not end in an error, but RSD may say you need to manually reboot your phone, this is normal.
    -Once your phone reboots you may experience bootlooping, if so do a factory reset (See below)
    -With the phone off pess vol-down + power
    -Press vol-down until Android Recovery is shown, press vol-up to enter.
    -Press both vol-up + vol-down to see menu.
    -In the recovery screen, use the volume buttons to scroll and select factory restore.
    -Press power to wipe the phone.
    -When complete, reboot phone and you should successfully boot to home.​
    7. Once you have flashed the two SBFs, you should be able to get to the stock US Celluar rom.
    8. After everything has loaded, you need to obtain root access. (See below)

-Make sure all USB drivers are installed on your computer.
    -Enable USB debugging mode on phone (System>Applications>Development)
    -Unzip the su.zip on your computer and open root.bat, the program will take you through the rest.​
    9. Once rooted, place the KDDI zip and Peetr’s ROM on either the internal or external storage.
    -This is also a good time to install your SIM card.​
    10. Install the Bootstrap recovery and follow the instructions to boot into recovery.
    -Remember: You need to be on AC power to get into Bootstrap recovery.​
    11. In recovery, flash the KDDI zip and then Peetr’s ROM
    12. After installing the ROM, flash KDDI again.

-Flash KDDI as many times as you want, it will give an error but will still work.​
    13. Reboot phone and enjoy the GSM radio.:highfive:
    -If you bootloop again, just do another factory reset. Peetr’s ROM will still be there.
    -You may have to root and install Bootstrap again.
    -It never hurts to flash KDDI one more time just to be sure.​

See next post for Q&A
    Q&A

When You’re Done:

Q: How can I go back to Sprint?
    A: The only way that worked for me was by flashing 2.3.5. Photon 4.5.1A-1_SUN-254_13 from this thread. This will take the phone back to mostly stock, but there may be residual radio issues.

Q: What carriers can I use now?
    A: Any GSM carrier that uses a standard SIM card. These include:
    -ATT (3G)
    -T-Mobile (2G/EDGE unless you live in a re-farmed area.)
    -Straight Talk (3G w/ATT SIM, 2G w/T-Mobile SIM)​

Q: Can I unlock my bootloader now?
    A: Nope. This only unlocks the GSM radio.

Q: Can I install a different ROM than Peetr’s hybrid?
    A: SIM unlocking has only been confirmed to work on Peetr’s locked hybrid rom.

Q: I’m pissed at Motorola for canceling the ICS upgrade. How can I sleep at night?
    A: As of right now (and probably forever) there is no way to install any version of Android higher than 2.3.5 on any Photon with the 2.3.5 OTA. However, Peetr’s ROM can be modified to make it look and function like ICS. Planters76 has made an excellent theme for the hybrid ROM that can be flashed in Bootstrap. It can be found here.

Once you flash that theme there are several applications on the Play Store that replicate the ICS/JB experience. Developer Moblynx offers replacements for the clock, camera and gallery. Mobint Software makes home and lockscreen replacements as well. I’m not affiliated with these developers, but their work is solid. This is as close as were going to get to ICS on 2.3.5.

Q: Which developers contributed to this?
    A: halfevildruid, mof9336, peetr_, Noncs, Lightsword1942, Planters76, and many others. If anyone else would like to be mentioned, let me know and I’ll add you in. Without these developers we’d be left out in the cold, so give them some thanks.

Q: Who are you and what are you doing here?
    A: I am not a developer myself, so just think of me as the person gathering all of the information and trying to simplify it. I can’t stand planned obsolescence, so the Photon is a sore point for me. I’ve stayed in the shadows before now because I haven’t had a reason to speak up, but the locked down OTA and cancelled ICS update bugged the hell out of me. I was in the first soak test for the 2.3.5 OTA, so I had no warning that Motorola was about to screw me and many others. If I can help anyone else that was locked down eek any more life from their phones, then I’ve done my job.

Q: I’m lost! Can you help?
    A: Just reply with your questions and I’ll try my best. Keep in mind that I am not a developer, so there are some questions I may not have an answer to.

Finally, if anyone finds any incorrect information in my post or some other error, please let me know so I can fix it. I’d like to prevent any unnecessary phone damage if possible.
    you need to flash anyone of the following using bootstrap recovery

198_7 radio sbf ----- 198_7 libmoto_ril.so

254_12 radio sbf ----- 254_12 libmoto_ril.so
    (thanks to Peetr_)

in my case 198_7 radio sbf ----- 198_7 libmoto_ril.so did the trick even when my phone had a locked bootloader.

after this flash KDDI radio

As many times as I have done this you would think I would remember that, but no.
    After wipe data/cache I got the hybrid rom to load and ran fine except I could not get the radio to work??
    Tried rebooting several times, reinstalling kddi several times, but no go.
    Fortunately I made a backup, so went back to USCell ROM and the radio was back:D
    Thank You

Dead simple easy to follow guide. Your hard work is very much appreciated.
    For anyone having problems here's how my install went.
    Flash sunfire sbf
    Flash unbrick
    Gain Root
    Install Moto Recovery
    From here I flashed KDDI and rebooted with a T-Mobile sim (i did not install Peetr’s ROM)
    Radio came up, showed T-Mobile, said i had 1 voicemail
    No WiFi so i installed USCMMSWIFI.ZIP, reflashed sunfire sbf and rebooted.
    Everything works. Thank You again to everyone involved.
    thanks to all who helped me. Unfortunately I reflashed the phone and went through the whole process over and over (thrice) with no result, but I did finally figure it out. If you flash everything and get stuck on phone activation. Click the Menu button (will pop up a new window)> Select Wireless settings > Change your mobile network to GSM and everything will work from there.

Is there any ICS or JB rom that will work with GSM in the US?