[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY

5,399 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,976

By designgears, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st July 2010, 10:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th August 2010, 09:40 AM |#481  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
so there is no way of repairing the phone? i will let the battery go so i can go to the service and the phone not to start charge anything, maybe i will get it changed...

28th August 2010, 12:54 PM |#482  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaik541

*sigh* this is why I agree that it's a good thing the galaxy s phones are in different sub forums. clearly because you keep referring to it as your "galaxy s" (and not "your captivate") and the AT&T logo is new for you, you flashed this firmware meant for the SGH-i897 onto your i9000. This is, quite simply, an absurd mistake that people keep doing.

Don't flash a ROM that wasn't designed for your device. You are in the captivate forums, you've made a mistake that most people can't seem to recover from. Quite simply, meet your new paperweight.

Do you think it might be a good idea to edit the first post in this thread with a warning saying *DO NOT USE THIS ON AN I9000 GALAXY S!!!!* seeing as so many people have had this rather expensive issue?

I think one of the reasons this keeps happening is that when someone Google's "Odin3" this page is the top result, and so first time users (such as myself) who don't know any better, don't realise that there are different versions of Odin for different platforms.

Yes, it's dumb. Yes, it's avoidable user error.

However, I know of at least 10 other Galaxy S owners *at least*... who have bricked their phones this way, so it's GOING to to happen again!

It would take about 30 seconds to amend the first post and potentially save a lot more people a lot more trouble and money.

I'm a little confused as to why this hasn't happened yet.
28th August 2010, 01:46 PM |#483  
Flag Cedar Park, TX
Thanks Meter: 906

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visibly Shaken

Do you think it might be a good idea to edit the first post in this thread with a warning saying *DO NOT USE THIS ON AN I9000 GALAXY S!!!!* seeing as so many people have had this rather expensive issue?

I think one of the reasons this keeps happening is that when someone Google's "Odin3" this page is the top result, and so first time users (such as myself) who don't know any better, don't realise that there are different versions of Odin for different platforms.

However, I know of at least 10 other Galaxy S owners *at least*... who have bricked their phones this way, so it's GOING to to happen again!

It would take about 30 seconds to amend the first post and potentially save a lot more people a lot more trouble and money.

I agree that it couldn't hurt to amend the first post, but I'm not a moderator or the OP so I can't do much. Also, I feel they thought it was a safe assumption that the people on xda would think about what they're doing before they do it, and considering this post is specifically in the captivate forums, they didn't think there would be a reason for someone not having as captivate to use this tool

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i897
28th August 2010, 01:56 PM |#484  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visibly Shaken

did u fix your phone ?
28th August 2010, 02:59 PM |#485  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
No, but I did reply to your PM

I think the only fix for this is to physically remove the Galaxy S's onboard SD card and re-flash it with stock firmware. As such I've send mine back to Samsung via Carphone Warehouse (UK) who are the authorised repair partner.
28th August 2010, 05:54 PM |#486  
OK
Thanks Meter: 164

More
oh s***t

ya know ive refrained from saying this line because i always seems positive i can bring it back but... did i just brick my phone?

i finally got odin to work and flashed the pit file only *was following directions on the boards* and after reboot it seems completly dead.. power button doesnt turn it on and i pulled the battery, sim, and sd card.. still nothing.

HEEEEELP!
28th August 2010, 06:21 PM |#487  
Flag PSL, FL
Thanks Meter: 27

More
I rooted my phone. I uninstalled Google Talk (oops) along with the other bloat. I went to market and could not complete any download. I DL Odin and used method 2 and was back to the day I bought the phone in less than 10 minutes. What a awesome way to save my phone from my most recent mistake and for any more down the road. And, next time I won't have to wait for the DL of Odin which was about 6 of those 10 min.

Thank you designgears.
28th August 2010, 08:05 PM |#488  
Flag Cedar Park, TX
Thanks Meter: 906

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamonkey

oh s***t

ya know ive refrained from saying this line because i always seems positive i can bring it back but... did i just brick my phone?

i finally got odin to work and flashed the pit file only *was following directions on the boards* and after reboot it seems completly dead.. power button doesnt turn it on and i pulled the battery, sim, and sd card.. still nothing.

HEEEEELP!

I'm a little curious why you flashed JUST the pit file. The pit is responsible for repartitioning when tied to a pda/code file. I don't quite know what the behavior would be if you did just a pit file.

I do remember reading about flashing just a pit under a specific circumstance that I can't readily recall, but I feel like that was a "all other options were exhausted" situation

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i897
28th August 2010, 09:12 PM |#489  
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,696

Donate to Me
More
Grrr hanging on file analysis. Tips? Running on Win 7 on my netbook
28th August 2010, 09:21 PM |#490  
Flag Greenville SC
Thanks Meter: 2,696

Donate to Me
More
grrr 10th time's the charm I guess
28th August 2010, 09:55 PM |#491  
Flag Monroe, NC

More
Thanks, this has been a real big help I was able to bring my phone back from a really bad place. Since I could only get a "force close" I took it back to the at&t store and they finally got it back to a state that I could do something with it. Though the only thing I could do with it was make a call. I did not get 3g or even connect to a wifi.

It took me a few tried but I did get this to work and it has worked very well. I now have my phone back and I can once again pimp my phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)