5,399 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,976

By designgears, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st July 2010, 10:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st August 2010, 03:02 AM |#521  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Bricked!!???
OK so I read the first 32 pages of this thread and felt confident I could successfully flash the stock ROM, used method two to enter download mode, Odin flashed the ROM the phone shutdown ODIN registered complete. Now the phone will not power on to any state nor will it respond to being plugged into to the wall charger. I assume it is Bricked I have not seen anyone else refer to a completely unresponsive phone just wondering if anyone had any ideas restoring it.

31st August 2010, 03:11 AM |#522  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moswen

OK so I read the first 32 pages of this thread and felt confident I could successfully flash the stock ROM, used method two to enter download mode, Odin flashed the ROM the phone shutdown ODIN registered complete. Now the phone will not power on to any state nor will it respond to being plugged into to the wall charger. I assume it is Bricked I have not seen anyone else refer to a completely unresponsive phone just wondering if anyone had any ideas restoring it.

Mine was "bricked", holding volume up + power after removing and re-installing the battery resulted in a screen with orange text. I could not start the phone otherwise, but method 3 worked for me.

Method 3KEY COMBO)
Remove the battery, sim card, sdcard if you have one
Insert the battery
Hold both Volume buttons
Plug in the USB cable and continue holding both Volume buttons

EDIT: I have noticed it is easier to get into download mode, and method 3 after holding the volume keys for 5-10 seconds before doing the next step.
31st August 2010, 03:28 AM |#523  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7899

Mine was "bricked", holding volume up + power after removing and re-installing the battery resulted in a screen with orange text. I could not start the phone otherwise, but method 3 worked for me.

Method 3KEY COMBO)
Remove the battery, sim card, sdcard if you have one
Insert the battery
Hold both Volume buttons
Plug in the USB cable and continue holding both Volume buttons

EDIT: I have noticed it is easier to get into download mode, and method 3 after holding the volume keys for 5-10 seconds before doing the next step.

Thanks for the tip unfortunately that did not restore my phone but I appreciate it
31st August 2010, 12:15 PM |#524  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
where is ODIN for mac. i cannot find the installation anywhere
31st August 2010, 01:58 PM |#525  
Thanks Meter: 204

More
I know the first post was edited and says NOT FOR I9000 so please don't knock me for asking-

Does this mean the handset or the firmware installed?

I am running the JFM6 firmware and would like to know how I get back to stock JF6 firmware using Odin.
31st August 2010, 03:15 PM |#526  
Flag Cedar Park, TX
Thanks Meter: 906

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gissentml

where is ODIN for mac. i cannot find the installation anywhere

Odin is a windows only tool. If you're interested in some VERY RISKY alternatives, head over to the i9000 android development forum where someone is working on a cross-platform tool called Heimdall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_fisherman

I know the first post was edited and says NOT FOR I9000 so please don't knock me for asking-

Does this mean the handset or the firmware installed?

I am running the JFM6 firmware and would like to know how I get back to stock JF6 firmware using Odin.

I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying, but this tool is specifically only for hardware of the Samsung Captivate i897 for AT&T.
31st August 2010, 03:25 PM |#527  
Thanks Meter: 204

More
I think you answered my question that it is for the hardware of the i897.. I have the i897 captivate - and flashed the JFM6 i9000 rom to the phone.. I wanted to make sure I could use this tool to go back to stock i897 JF6 firmware so that I can do the OTA update when Froyo is released.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to take any additional steps since flashing to the JFM6 rom required CSC and kernel flashing that's all..
1st September 2010, 02:42 AM |#528  
OK
Thanks Meter: 164

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moswen

Thanks for the tip unfortunately that did not restore my phone but I appreciate it

yeah sadly it sounds like you got the same problem i did a few pages back. tried all the methods listed and like you, it just sits there dead as dirt right? i go into warranty in the next few days *i cant exchange it because i bought it off someone else and am still in the 30 day trade in period* so i guess do what im and do a mail exchange...unless your in the 30 days which is excellent.. just bring it in and they will give you a new one
1st September 2010, 03:13 AM |#529  
Flag Delray Beach, Florida
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Try this guys...... ALWAYS works for me Odin open, files chosen, only thing left to do is click START....... with phone OFF(!!!) hold BOTH volume buttons, then while holding them, insert usb cable....... 2 secs you should be in download mode. Then click START in odin's window. Works for me.....

As for all the probs with recovery mode, get a program called quick boot from the market..... works great!
1st September 2010, 04:04 AM |#530  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
hi. i just did everything i think but unsure if its safe to do something now. it says on the first box (PASS!) is that it?

or is there anything more to wait for?

it says on my phone do not turn off Target!! what do i do? thanks
1st September 2010, 04:11 AM |#531  
Flag FL
Thanks Meter: 418

More
It's working, leave it plugged in until it finishes doing what it's doing. When it is finished it will reboot your phone and power back on. It takes a little time so don't panic, you're doing fine. Is there a blue status bar on the phone? Is Odin doing other processes? If so you are good. Again do not turn off the phone or disconnect it while Odin is running.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)