[NEWS][HONEYCOMB][GTAB edition]Got Port? Update: May 12th 2011

Search This thread

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
CREDITS: This is posted for informational purposes only, and originally comes from MrGuy on TabletRoms for the Notionink Adam. Additional device specific information comes from roebeet on SlateDroid for the Viewsonic G Tablet, newbe5 and corvus on Modaco for the Advent Vega. With contributions from DJ_Steve (StephenH official NI dev), josh4trunks (Contract NI dev), and Dauiton from Tabletroms. Hardware acceleration and sound enabled by HomerSp. Thanks go to red_herringx for providing the system dump as well.

*** UPDATE 12:00pm EDT May 12th 2011 MrGuy has done it again, looks like the Market (gapps) issue has been resolved! MrGuy says " Borkata's link and HomerSp's test app helped a lot too"

May 5th 2011

Logged into IRC this morning and to my surprise there was some interesting chatter going on.

It seems that MrGuy has gotten as far as booting HoneyComb on the Adam. In the source post he has made his progress available for other devs to work on.

Although at this time, it seems to only work while holding your Adam upside down... :rolleyes:

NOTE: In order to use this, you must make sure you use the utmost delicate hand gestures when touching your screen, as seen in the video.

***05/05/2011 11:24 [-04:00 GMT] PROGRESS: DJ_Steve aka StephenH in collaboration with MrGuy, has made progress in figuring out how to stop the Force Close. There seem to be some issues with the touch screen at this time..

14:03 -04:00 GMT ADD: roebeet's quick to get this on the GTAB

UPDATED VIDEO:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tremendous progress was made this morning and is being made as you read this.

It's exciting news and thought I would share it with a sister tablet.

HoneyComb is booting on the Notion Ink Adam and now it's on the GTAB as well.

FRESH TODAY 9th May 2011 11:30AM EDT

Cross collaboration between devs of sister tablets in the ##adamroot freenode IRC channel this morning!

Devs: HomerSp got hardware acceleration working, newbe5/corvus got it working on the Advent Vega (video demo below) and DJ_Steve applied them to the Adam HC rom and confirmed to now be working smoothly!

9th May 2011 12:05 EDT

DJ_Steve showsoff hardware acceleration implementation on Notioink Adam.

MAY 10th 2011

News Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/advents-vega-tablet-gets-a-little-sweeter-with-the-addition-of/

Last edited:

Enectic

Aug 2, 2010
Nice! Haven't read through the entire thread yet but definitely some interesting stuff.

xmr405o

Dec 31, 2008
So was he the one who won the Honeycomb bounty? Didn't they have a bounty on the first HC port?

xmr405o

Dec 31, 2008
Is it wrong that I'm excited by this news?

No. You can be excited and optimistic. I think its a moral victory at this point but it'll spark hope again to some. But to others, they won't see it as nothing but a makeshift ROM with no value because its not the real thing. As a fan of modders and devs, I can feel excited for them because its a good accomplishment.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Jun 15, 2010
Calgary
OP should add the screenshot to their post:
3BYku.jpg

Reactions: falgun and y2k-inc

rw144

Apr 8, 2011
Roebeet has the port running on his G Tab

Honeycomb-on-the-Adam.com

This is awesome because it is only a matter of time now before this is working and with Devs like Roebeet working on it will get done. You could feel the excitement in his posts. Man I miss reading his posts here, his support of his roms was top notch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dueces99

Mar 7, 2011
I'm not that talented. :p
Glad to see you still hanging around here roebeet. As for the HC port, not in my most optimistic dreams did I think it would be ported over this quickly regardless of the experimental level its currently at. Guess that goes to show how motivated people are when they're told they can't do something! :) If you need any testers, just tell me where to sign up!

wasserkapf

Sep 6, 2010
I'll get excited when I see a full Linux distribution ported to the g-tablet (with hardware drivers).

This is just another version of the limited Android OS.

Reactions: SirhanSirhan

y2k-inc

Feb 20, 2011
Posted on Viewsonic and nVidia Facebook page, hope they will answer us with a good news ....

juanaraya92679

Oct 11, 2010
Santa Ana
This is awesome but my non optimistic side says nvidia won't release any video drivers for awhile,*sigh* and then i'm rejoicing again with CM7 nightlies :) all better now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CREDITS: This is posted for informational purposes only, and originally comes from MrGuy on TabletRoms for the Notionink Adam. Additional device specific information comes from roebeet on SlateDroid for the Viewsonic G Tablet, newbe5 and corvus on Modaco for the Advent Vega. With contributions from DJ_Steve (StephenH official NI dev), josh4trunks (Contract NI dev), and Dauiton from Tabletroms. Hardware acceleration and sound enabled by HomerSp. Thanks go to red_herringx for providing the system dump as well.

*** UPDATE 12:00pm EDT May 12th 2011 MrGuy has done it again, looks like the Market (gapps) issue has been resolved! MrGuy says " Borkata's link and HomerSp's test app helped a lot too"

May 5th 2011

Logged into IRC this morning and to my surprise there was some interesting chatter going on.

It seems that MrGuy has gotten as far as booting HoneyComb on the Adam. In the source post he has made his progress available for other devs to work on.

Although at this time, it seems to only work while holding your Adam upside down... :rolleyes:

NOTE: In order to use this, you must make sure you use the utmost delicate hand gestures when touching your screen, as seen in the video.

***05/05/2011 11:24 [-04:00 GMT] PROGRESS: DJ_Steve aka StephenH in collaboration with MrGuy, has made progress in figuring out how to stop the Force Close. There seem to be some issues with the touch screen at this time..

14:03 -04:00 GMT ADD: roebeet's quick to get this on the GTAB

UPDATED VIDEO:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

FRESH TODAY 9th May 2011 11:30AM EDT

Cross collaboration between devs of sister tablets in the ##adamroot freenode IRC channel this morning!

Devs: HomerSp got hardware acceleration working, newbe5/corvus got it working on the Advent Vega (video demo below) and DJ_Steve applied them to the Adam HC rom and confirmed to now be working smoothly!

9th May 2011 12:05 EDT

DJ_Steve showsoff hardware acceleration implementation on Notioink Adam.

MAY 10th 2011

News Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/advents-vega-tablet-gets-a-little-sweeter-with-the-addition-of/
    Is that Photoshop'd? I hope not. This is great news.

Lies, you are kick ass. Don't forget it. Thank you sir.
    OP should add the screenshot to their post:
    3BYku.jpg
    My question is if you dont care for it then A) why did you buy it B) Why the !@#$ are you posting on this forum.

Looks like I've ruffled a few feathers with my post...

We were talking about Android and not the gTab, so technically I didn't buy the OS, right? Plus, this thread is about people's opinions about Honeycomb (or whatever your favourite poison is) on the gTablet.

A) It looks like he bought it to try and get linux running on it
    Nah, I bought it for the same reason that others here have: In tablets, this one gives you the most bang for the buck. The full USB port alone did it for me.

C) Android is a phone OS so in some peoples eyes its dinky
    That is part of the reason, and if this discussion doesn't degenerate into "my way or the highway", I can go into the others. Anyway, I gotta justify what I said, so:

A lot of compromises have to be made to software if the device you're running on doesn't have a lot of memory and you cannot even use swap. The decisions that were made for Android in the early days are still with us (the no swap space bit is one, and the non-standard assignment of processes to UIDs instead of users to UIDs is another). They were alright then, but, seem increasingly restrictive with the tablets we have today--1GHz dual core CPUs, 512 MB/1GB RAM and 16/32GB of storage.

With specs like that and, let's say 4 GB of swap space, you could very easily use the gTablet as a full desktop. You could create content, with things like Photoshop or GIMP, instead of just viewing them. But, we can't, which is why I said Android was dinky.

And "dinky" was not meant entirely as a pejorative. In fact, dinky is the main reason why Android (and this tablet) have become so popular.

There is an interesting thread on the board which noted that people who would normally never interact with a regular PC have taken very keenly to tablets. Interface simplicity is part of the reason. Even a technical guy like me feels the pull. I had TnT-Lite on the gTab soon after it arrived, and I played with it for a couple of weeks until I settled on CyanogenMod. And, after a few days of playing with the tablet, I was struck by something: I knew where every setting for changing anything on the tablet was located.

I've never internalized a UI that completely before and that was when I realized that tablets were going to be popular; that the technology of the PC had finally succeeded in becoming invisible after 30 long years of trying.