$1.99 Hoodrat Car Mount (Jeep Grand Cherokee)

Search This thread

J33per

Jan 8, 2011
romrepo.info
So I bought a G10.1 last week and I love it! I am always looking to get the most out of my purchases and since I always use my phone in my car (HTC Evo Shift 4G) I instantly started looking for Car mounting options. I found some big gawdy universal mounts, and a few really nice (but high dollar) mounts, then as I was walking through the local Walmart, something just happen to catch my eye!

Yes, that is a picture of those el-cheapo plastic self adhesive hooks, for $1.99 a pack. The gears started turning...

I picked them up, knowing the adheive was going to be junk for what I wanted to use them for (wouldn't hold to the heat/cold)... but I carry 3M Double Sided EXTREME Tape in my Jeep because you never know what you will need to mount to the dash...

So when I got home, I lined it up, and found that the mounting spots I was hoping to use matched perfect. At first I used all 4, but then took one of the top corner hooks off, making it easier to "slide" into the other three, yet still holding it rock solid. It covers the middle vents, so I closed them, which pushes the air to the other ones.

** NOTE ** I have a ZAGG InvisibleSHEILD and a Chinese bumper-style case from e-bay on it, this allows it to "snap" into place, and I don't have to worry about the hooks on the screen... Use caution, I am not responsible for you marking your tablet up.

11+-+1

Here is a picture of "Car Dashboard"... I was unable to find any other tablet ready Car Dock apps, but this one seems to work well for now...

11+-+1

One more with Google Maps

11+-+1

One with Google Music (I have it Wifi Tethered to my phone)

11+-+1

If you have your own mounting solutions, lets see em!

@TechJeeper

Last edited:
Reactions: p4350v2 and glensta

thatdude90210

Jul 2, 2011
Neat. Looks like the ideal situation would be having black ones, put two pointing up on the bottom, one on each side pointing to each other, and then having enough space to slide the tablet down from above.

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
i did something a little different about a week ago. its a mount made for the tab that i modded with a phone mount that hooks to the air vents. its really sturdy.

IMG_20110719_160943.jpg

J33per

Jan 8, 2011
romrepo.info
Neat. Looks like the ideal situation would be having black ones, put two pointing up on the bottom, one on each side pointing to each other, and then having enough space to slide the tablet down from above.

The lip that hangs over the dash on the Grand Cherokee makes it impossible to slide in from the top... that was my first idea... but this seems to work well. I plan on replacing them with Black hooks in the future, but they were more expensive, and I wasnt sure if this was even gonna work.

stillblood

Jul 22, 2010
The 10.1 is to big for my mx5 :-| im looking for used 7" tab to play around with. They look like i could mount it so it sticks out of the double din just enough to power and plug In

mesasone

Jul 14, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Nice, I've been wanting to do something similar in my jeep as well. Unfortunately, I dropped my tab (face first) on concrete yesterday and shattered the front glass. :(

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App

dan80210

Jul 13, 2011
that's pretty neat. you know anybody that sells these mounts? If so, I can say bye to my GPS and iPod for my 2 hour commutes

glensta

Jul 1, 2010
Over here
Nice, I've been wanting to do something similar in my jeep as well. Unfortunately, I dropped my tab (face first) on concrete yesterday and shattered the front glass. :(

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA App
That's a bummer - hope you can recover quick, these tabs are really nice, I'm lovin' mine.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Nice work on this - love the Macguyver touch and especially the pricing on this...lol...definitely functional.

Tivo7

Sep 12, 2011
SystemUI.apk
Since you're using an alternate, stronger adhesive, you could cut the circle part of the hooks down to look more presentable while the tab is not present. Just an idea.

Tdiliplane

Sep 4, 2011
i did something a little different about a week ago. its a mount made for the tab that i modded with a phone mount that hooks to the air vents. its really sturdy.

IMG_20110719_160943.jpg

task ive seen your tab with the zaggfolio case/keyboard mounted in your vehicle how in the hell did you accomplish that!?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I bought a G10.1 last week and I love it! I am always looking to get the most out of my purchases and since I always use my phone in my car (HTC Evo Shift 4G) I instantly started looking for Car mounting options. I found some big gawdy universal mounts, and a few really nice (but high dollar) mounts, then as I was walking through the local Walmart, something just happen to catch my eye!

Yes, that is a picture of those el-cheapo plastic self adhesive hooks, for $1.99 a pack. The gears started turning...

I picked them up, knowing the adheive was going to be junk for what I wanted to use them for (wouldn't hold to the heat/cold)... but I carry 3M Double Sided EXTREME Tape in my Jeep because you never know what you will need to mount to the dash...

So when I got home, I lined it up, and found that the mounting spots I was hoping to use matched perfect. At first I used all 4, but then took one of the top corner hooks off, making it easier to "slide" into the other three, yet still holding it rock solid. It covers the middle vents, so I closed them, which pushes the air to the other ones.

** NOTE ** I have a ZAGG InvisibleSHEILD and a Chinese bumper-style case from e-bay on it, this allows it to "snap" into place, and I don't have to worry about the hooks on the screen... Use caution, I am not responsible for you marking your tablet up.

11+-+1

Here is a picture of "Car Dashboard"... I was unable to find any other tablet ready Car Dock apps, but this one seems to work well for now...

11+-+1

One more with Google Maps

11+-+1

One with Google Music (I have it Wifi Tethered to my phone)

11+-+1

If you have your own mounting solutions, lets see em!

@TechJeeper