FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

usb to ethernet adapter

286 posts
Thanks Meter: 114

By cullenmq1, Senior Member on 25th September 2012, 11:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi!
So I am in college and they do not allow more than one device to be connected over internet per person in a dorm, so i cannot set up any wireless routers. My iconia is running the jb cm10 preview port and i was wondering if a usb to ethernet jack would work and if so, which adapter should I buy?

any suggestions/ ideas would be appreciated

25th September 2012, 11:57 PM |#2  
Flag meadville
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenmq1

Hi!
So I am in college and they do not allow more than one device to be connected over internet per person in a dorm, so i cannot set up any wireless routers. My iconia is running the jb cm10 preview port and i was wondering if a usb to ethernet jack would work and if so, which adapter should I buy?

any suggestions/ ideas would be appreciated

I dont believe it would but im not sure how can they tell whos device it is? Cant you just spoof your mac address or use one device at a time or a vpn......
The Following User Says Thank You to gears177 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gears177 Ad-Free
26th September 2012, 12:00 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
they could tell if more than 1 device is connected by doing a simple network scan and seeing that there was 2 ip addresses assigned to a dorm. they found my wireless router as soon as i plugged it in
26th September 2012, 12:38 AM |#4  
Flag meadville

More
Quote:

they could tell if more than 1 device is connected by doing a simple network scan and seeing that there was 2 ip addresses assigned to a dorm. they found my wireless router as soon as i plugged it in

sorry theres ways to get around that but im pretty sure were not allowed to talk about it on the forums im nlt sure if a usb to ethernet adapter would work to me it seems drivers program or something would be missing
26th September 2012, 12:51 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
okay... does it involve external hardware or does the "other thing" involve using a wifi router b/c i cannot set up a wireless router as anyone with a wireless device will be able to see it. I know that the transformer infinity has built in ethernet adapter compatibility, but is that an android ics/jb thing or is it a manufacturer add-on?
26th September 2012, 01:01 AM |#6  
Flag meadville

More
Quote:

okay... does it involve external hardware or does the "other thing" involve using a wifi router b/c i cannot set up a wireless router as anyone with a wireless device will be able to see it. I know that the transformer infinity has built in ethernet adapter compatibility, but is that an android ics/jb thing or is it a manufacturer add-on?

Haha i dont understand how they could detect where each device is coming from unless they have a separate wifi for each dorm or a different sub-net i know they could pick up another wireless router easily even if they were reading you ip that's easily spoofed even Mac address is via a proxy or vpn :P but anyways im pretty sure that's an manufacturer add-on ill look and let you now if i find anything :P the Acer might have it, if not im sure a dev could make it so somehow

This is straight quoting darkdragone make sure you thank him :P Here

not sure if it works with honeycomb, but on ICS I have used a usb ethernet adapter with the tablet, mind you that some applications dont work with it, but the browser and market place do. What you'll need to do first is have your tablet rooted, then download either android terminal emulator or Gscript lite (with gscript lite you can save the script for use again.) In the terminal you will want to run netcfg, this will show you all of your interfaces and will tell you if your usb to ethernet adapter is detected. If it is detected there will be an interface called usb and then a number aka usb0 or possibly even eth0. next you will want to take that interface and make sure it is up by running ifconfig usb0 up. next you'll need an ip address, if yours is assigned dynamically then run dhcpcd usb0 then setprop dns1 8.8.8.8 (or use whatever DNS server you wish). Now if you need a static address, such as 192.168.0.2 or something you would run ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.2. Also all of these commands will need root so make sure you type in su beforehand.
The Following User Says Thank You to gears177 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gears177 Ad-Free
27th December 2012, 07:06 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gears177

Haha i dont understand how they could detect where each device is coming from unless they have a separate wifi for each dorm or a different sub-net i know they could pick up another wireless router easily even if they were reading you ip that's easily spoofed even Mac address is via a proxy or vpn :P but anyways im pretty sure that's an manufacturer add-on ill look and let you now if i find anything :P the Acer might have it, if not im sure a dev could make it so somehow

This is straight quoting darkdragone make sure you thank him :P Here

not sure if it works with honeycomb, but on ICS I have used a usb ethernet adapter with the tablet, mind you that some applications dont work with it, but the browser and market place do. What you'll need to do first is have your tablet rooted, then download either android terminal emulator or Gscript lite (with gscript lite you can save the script for use again.) In the terminal you will want to run netcfg, this will show you all of your interfaces and will tell you if your usb to ethernet adapter is detected. If it is detected there will be an interface called usb and then a number aka usb0 or possibly even eth0. next you will want to take that interface and make sure it is up by running ifconfig usb0 up. next you'll need an ip address, if yours is assigned dynamically then run dhcpcd usb0 then setprop dns1 8.8.8.8 (or use whatever DNS server you wish). Now if you need a static address, such as 192.168.0.2 or something you would run ifconfig usb0 192.168.0.2. Also all of these commands will need root so make sure you type in su beforehand.

Glad I was able to help lol. I'm currently trying to find out if a USB wireless will work to but haven't found much info other than drivers need to be in the kernel for it to work
30th May 2013, 02:23 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Yeah, if u figure out the usb wireless adapter problem, let me know too pls. :thumbup:

Sent from my A500 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)