Fantastic prime news re wi-fi/gps issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

theatheistape

Feb 9, 2011
I just got off the phone with Asus and the person I spoke to in tech support said that he was aware of the gps dongle offer but as off right now it is still unofficial and can not provide me with more information. He said it should move to official status by early next week. He also said that once official, all one has to do is call in and speak to a representative and they will arrange one to be shipped. Just want to say this is the information I was given so if by chance the guy was smoking something and is completely wrong..please don't bite my head off:D

Ditto here. I got the same from a rep from ASUS.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I just got off the phone with Asus and the person I spoke to in tech support said that he was aware of the gps dongle offer but as off right now it is still unofficial and can not provide me with more information. He said it should move to official status by early next week. He also said that once official, all one has to do is call in and speak to a representative and they will arrange one to be shipped. Just want to say this is the information I was given so if by chance the guy was smoking something and is completely wrong..please don't bite my head off:D

i hope @demandarin can help me or someone who knows about the gps dongle, im from Latin America so i going to receive the dongle too? or is just for USA ?

@Mario. the quote above yours should answer your question. it should apply to everyone, no matter where you live. we will have to wait till officially released to get more details.

ElCamino

Feb 5, 2007
The time and money Asus spent and will spend getting this GPS dongle released, they should have spent the money replacing the back cover of the TP to be like the TF 700. If you have your TP in a case, the GPS dongle might require to remove your TP out of the case which i more likely.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Ophelia

Jan 28, 2011
Very excited about this news! I've been putting off ordering one, pending this announcement (though it seemed unlikely that there would be hardware changes, i didn't want to risk not getting an "updated" model, if updated models were going to be made) - I'm probably going to order one from Amazon in the next day or so (hopefully getting a C3 model!)

nextelbuddy

Aug 13, 2009
i tried registering last night around 2am eastern time and clicking the submit button triggered a 10 minute hang. went ot bed.

woke up this morning with email saying to confirm my registration. i confirmed and filled out a survey and entered my serial number as well and got no pop up either.

i hope they at least use our addresses on file to send out the extension.

do we not have any pictures of what it looks like yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To: joplin_gl
    Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:21 AM
    Subject: RE: Transformer Prime Concerns Case #1654881

Dear Gregory,
    I just received an update regarding the Prime’s GPS functionality.
    We will be releasing a dongle shortly that will address the GPS function and be a fully usable GPS that will lock onto many satellites and keep their lock with wi-fi active.
    If you choose to purchase another Prime unit we will send a the GPS dongle to you to address the GPS locks.:cool:
    This is to keep you informed on making your purchase decision on picking up another Prime. I do hope we can keep you as a customer.
    Thanks,
    Hai Trat
    JR. Technical Product Manager

Inspiring Innovation.Persistent Perfection

To: joplin_gl@yahoo.ca
    Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:36 AM

Dear Gregory,
    Also to update the wi-fi.* I have been testing our newer versions of our Primes over the last week and they are getting better signal strength with the wi-fi.* Wifi will vary depending on routers being used and the router settings.* I can tell you there is a definite improvement in wifi transfers and speed on the newer batches that I have.* I have been doing side by side comparisons with the TF101 and Prime with my RT-N13U router.* They are very close in performance now and I could not distinguish difference albeit very minor ones in transfer rates on both the units.* So this area has also been improved with our newer release Primes.* :cool:
    Let me know if you have any more questions as I can be your direct contact for communication on making your new Prime purchase a good one.
    Thanks,
    Hai Trat
    JR. Technical Product Manager

NEW NEWS :cool:

To: joplin_gl
    Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:42 PM

Dear Gregory,

GPS dongle will be provided for free when it arrives. ETA is mid April for this and we are setting up a process for it. We will inform you once the process is complete and the dongles here.

It will look similar to the hinge from the dock. Where it will be a flush fit on the bottom of the unit if held in landscape matching the color of your Prime chassis.

For the Wfi,

I don’t have much info on Staples distribution process. I will have to see if the new ones will still be arriving at a Staples store with the sales team. I will check on this to see what information I can find out for you.

If you however do find a new batch of TF201 Primes. Please look for C3… version or higher. For instance serial number will be displayed on a label outside the box such as C3OKAS123456. These are improved on the wifi from the ones we have tested. This should be universal on all of the skus. Meaning 32GB or 64GB will have the update already since it is newer iterations of the units.

RIGHT ON:cool:
    >Hey demandarin, since you have been testing it does it affect the wifi?

DEMANDARIN

cat-picture-bag-8.jpg

No...No...Don't Ask Me Anything More! I'm Still in the Bag! You Can't Really See Me!
    If this is the big news i'm going to super disappointed
    FIX THE WIFI not the GPS.
    Fools

And here we go...

ASUS will have fixed the #1 "OHMYGOD ASUS I want what you sold me how dare you just remove GPS from the marketing give me what I paid for!!!!!" issue, and people will complain that something else wasn't done instead.

If this turns out to be true, and it seems legit, then I think ASUS will have come up with an elegant solution to a problem. They'll have demonstrated some serious good faith in resolving customer issues, and nobody--and I mean NOBODY--can continue to accuse them of all of the nefarious practices people on this forum have accused them of.

As far as wifi goes, did you read the entire message? It looks like they've made progress on recent units, and have probably identified a means to improve wifi reception. So, they're working on that, for real, as well. Again, demonstrating that they're really working hard to make customers happy, which is about all we can ask for from a company.
    On a more serious note, lets hope that this being revealed before officially being approved doesn't mess things up for us prime owners. There are very important obvious reasons this never was announced yet. The way this news was talked about to be kept under wraps, I can almost guareentee that guy Hai might get in trouble over this. They really wanted to surprise everyone with this once approved. Legal reasons involved also more than likely.

while its cool to think we know now, it can still be easily retracted as it was never official. I just hope that guy doesn't lose his job over this. or gets demoted..lol. and changes things regarding this announcement for us. This won't be taken lightly by Asus. Believe it. SMH

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE OP! lmfaooooo.

I would ask.. what have you done... your the insider who confirmed what was just a rumor. I'd say you did the real damage by getting in here ASAP and confirming it and talking it up.

Bad demandarin Bad demandarin