[Q] How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Prevail?

Search This thread

chinniwhites

May 3, 2011
I am a c++ programmer by trade who is just now looking into android phones not only for communication but also for development. I picked up the Samsung Galaxy from Boost Mobile in order to first learn how to root, flash ROMs, and then get into dev.

My first goal is to root the phone so i can use it as a wifi hotspot. I first tried to download quick settings to see if i could get the wifi hopspot that way. I can see the hidden option for wifi hotspot but everytime I press it to turn it on, the phone disables the wifi totally. I then tried z4root, not root. I tried gingerbreak and it did not work. I would try to use superoneclick but cannot find usb drivers that will work with the galaxy prevail while its in usb debugging mode.

Any advice on how to get this phone rooted would great. Can you also list the prevail as one of the device supported on this site to spur development?

Reactions: martinrzeduardo

dbwelch

Apr 30, 2011
Valencia, Ca
Not sure if you've come across the Prevail source code, the file name is SPH-M820_OpenSource_Froyo.zip

I can not post an actual link because I'm new to this site, but you can find the file here:

opensource dot samsung dot com/reception/reception_main.do?method=reception_search&searchValue=m820

replace "dots" with a period

Last edited:

mrkevo3000

Mar 26, 2010
Seattle
Try Z4root app I think this might work considering there arent any nam locks on this phone go to 4 shared and look for the apk files as this app is no longer available in the market! I have used this app on the following devices, htc hero, sprint zio, samsung moment, droid 1, droid 2, &droid global!

Reactions: martinrzeduardo
Apr 8, 2010
recovery mode

recovery mode is vol up + power

says

Android system recovery (3e)

E:pATH /data/update_sucess
E:Update logfile dose not exsist
#MANUAL MODE#

navigate with vol keys and camera button to select

Apr 8, 2010
z4 root and super one click

i tried z4 and the app closed at acquiring root shell

super one click also failed with psneuter and ginger break

fails at running psneuter and at running gingerbreak

also fail with shell root in same way

Apr 8, 2010
odd recover style screen

if you hold down vol + and vol - and camera then tap power a screen comes up that starts with little kernel

vol - and camera makes the phne show "downloading..."

this is shown in windows as "samsung usb compsite device"

and "samsung mobile modem"

Apr 8, 2010
on linux

dmesg output of the "downloading..." screen

[ 77.031415] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[ 84.590135] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
[ 84.748548] cdc_acm 1-1:2.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 84.748762] cdc_acm 1-1:2.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
********-laptop:~$

Reactions: mikeg4n

natalic

Aug 5, 2008
i have tried all known roots to my knowledge: z4 (rageagainstthecage), psneuter, and gingerbreak. none work. so im with you, out of luck.

ibdilbert

Oct 3, 2010
I've been trying too, no luck at all, been at it since last Friday, but my knowledge is not nearly as good as most of you, so I assumed I just didn't know what I was doing.

chinniwhites

May 3, 2011
I have not found a way to root this phone but i did accomplish USB tethering. Install Samsung Kies (for usb driver for prevail), install PDAnet on computer and phone, and away you go. I am looking for a windows 7 bluetooth driver for the prevail that way i could tether via bluetooth DUN. Does anyone have any success finding a prevail bluetooth windows driver?

Apr 8, 2010
how to root

Is there someone who can direct me to a good place on how to develop the root, I would be willing to spend some time working on this. In particular is there any work that I can do to help a developer to create the root.

waarlok

May 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Same experience here, z4root required phone reboot as it kept setting off the vibrate function (permanent root) and eventually locked up the phone. z4root temporary root didn't work either. SuperOneClick failed as well with both exploits and locked up on Windows 7 x64 while running exploits. Can't find any information on Google. However, I am a 4th year Software Engineering student and would be willing to work with others to find a fix.

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail is a pretty cool little phone for the money and worth the exploitation effort. For those interested in working on this issue with me know that I am both a Windows (7 x64) and Linux (Slackware x64) user with a Java programming background. Look me up (email) on my profile.

kolosus

Oct 14, 2010
Phillipsburg, NJ. USA
From what I understand... We'd have to set up a rom manipulation environment (cooker?). Unfortunately the only tutorial I can find is the one for manipulating HTC roms. I'm not experienced enough to know if it could be used for all Android roms and too much of a chicken to try it out and risk bricking my phone.

Once the rom manipulation environment is set up you can go and add root support, take out unwanted apps, etc.

I'd also be willing to put in some effort into learning this if someone is willing to put in some time to show me the ropes... or point me in the right direction.

Top Liked Posts