[Q] *Ridiculously* Bad Battery Life

Search This thread

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
First day of owning a ChaCha. My phone lost 30% of battery just sitting overnight. What the hell? I went to bed with 75% and woke up with 45% about 7 hours later.

Battery use lists three items: Cell standby, Phone idle, and Display. Shouldn't there be more?

I really want to like this phone, but this is simply unacceptable. Is there something I'm missing here?

Also, has anyone noticed that the phone takes a ridiculous amount of time to charge when connected to a computer?

Last edited:

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
may be sth wrong with your battery.
mine performs well when standing by

Maybe. I'm also having software issues where after one call, my Dialer app begins draining my battery rapidly, using over 90% of the battery according to the Battery Use page.

Anyway, battery performance on this phone seems so far to be a bit erratic. Eh. I'm interested in trying out a CM port whenever that becomes available on this phone to see if it helps.

d.furtuna

Jul 9, 2011
Hi, my bettery lasts 2-3 days (on normal usage). Also, the performance improved with more charging cycles...

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
Hi, my bettery lasts 2-3 days (on normal usage). Also, the performance improved with more charging cycles...

Do you make calls often? Next time you make a call, could you check your Battery Use page under "Settings -> About phone -> Battery -> Battery use" and see if "Dialer" takes up a large percent.

Thanks!

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
In fact, could anyone else who has a ChaCha please reply to let me know if they experience Dialer taking up a huge percent of the battery after making a call? You can check under "Settings -> About phone -> Battery -> Battery use".

I know one person on another forum who brought up this issue before I even experienced it myself, so I know I'm not alone, but I don't know whether this is bug is specific to my phone or for all ChaChas.

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using XDA App

qbert456

Jul 21, 2010
Mine says nothing about dialer app, have just made a call so will check later.

battery is poor tho, won't last a day if I actaually use if for any thing other than text or email.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
Mine says nothing about dialer app, have just made a call so will check later.

battery is poor tho, won't last a day if I actaually use if for any thing other than text or email.

Hm, okay, thanks.

Yeah, the battery life seems to be quite bad for me as well even when the Dialer issue isn't happening. Oh well.

qbert456

Jul 21, 2010
So since my last post I made a 3 sec call that was it.

Stats show, 10h since charge,
Dialer has used 96% !!! Of battery, that's why the standby is so bad, I'm going to email HTC.

Can the dialer app be changed?
Or is that a root luxury, cyanogen 6 had a decent dialer on my legend....

Apr 16, 2011
exactly the same here ... after 2 mins of phone call - battery stats said that it takes more than 60% of battery use... And the weirdest thing is, that I used internet browser, tweetdeck and greader before for more than 2 hours...

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
Another question: how much battery drains overnight while your phone is just on standby? Mine loses about 40% in about 9 hours overnight.

ThiloH

Dec 22, 2010
Mine runs like forever, when i just use it for email, sms and a few calls.

I charged mine on Thursday and last evening the battery bar went to orange.

aca_coa

Aug 24, 2007
Pancevo
www.mojitoloco.com
Is your mobile network turned on while you are in standby?

Go to settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile network.
It's not checked here. I check it only when I want to use mobile operator data package.

da-vid

Jun 26, 2009
Singapore
Is your mobile network turned on while you are in standby?

Go to settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile network.
It's not checked here. I check it only when I want to use mobile operator data package.

Yeah, but why should I have to uncheck that?! I even have push email disabled during non-peak hours.

My iPhone loses like 5% overnight with push and full 3G data still enabled. I'm not expecting iPhone performance, but 40%? What could possibly be happening on the phone that it uses that much battery overnight? I checked my battery use page and my phone is in fact going to sleep when I lock it.

Ah well. I'll try to see if I can isolate this issue to a certain app or something when I have time.

parno67

Jul 20, 2011
My HTC ChaCha has the dialler issue.

I charge my phone overnight and would expect it to last all day, even with heavy usage. By 1pm (i leave for work at 7.30am) battery life is becoming a serious issue. I then have to charge the phone in order for it to last till i get home at 6pm.

The dialer is always using 95/96% of my battery.

I only make or receive 1 or 2 very short calls during the day.

This isnt such a problem in work as I can charge the phone, but im going away next week and wont be able to charge it every couple of hours.

I was going to buy another battery as i thought this would be a solution but its obviously not the battery, its something to do with the software.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HTC just told me that they found no issue. Ugh.
    Turning off facebook chat plus the gmail app update has drastically increased my battery life. After a full day of use I'm at 66%. I use to not be able to get through a day.

Privacy Settings > Apps and Websites (Settings) > Click on HTC Chacha > Remove Access Facebook Chat.

http://technorati.com/technology/android/article/new-gmail-app-235-for-android/
    Turning off facebook chat plus the gmail app update has drastically increased my battery life. After a full day of use I'm at 66%. I use to not be able to get through a day.

Privacy Settings > Apps and Websites (Settings) > Click on HTC Chacha > Remove Access Facebook Chat.

How do you remove access to facebook chat? I had a look at privacy settings on my chacha and there is no option for this. Just realised you mean on facebook itself.

Wow, I am chuffed with this. I never even use facebook chat, ever, and I hate always being online. I would switch it off but it would come back on. But hopefully this will be sorted.

I have been on my hols and turned data off and only used it when I needed it. And this has worked for me, not an ideal situation but its definitely a work around.

I am going to update my gmail now and see if that makes a difference.

Also whoever posted the screenshot with the dialer at 97%....well thats exactly what mines says!!!! Annoying.
    @bawbagg, how do you turn off facebook chat from the facebook page? (I actually hate facebook; got this phone for the qwerty keyboard awesomeness :D).
    In Facebook, click on your Account dropdown menu in the top right, and from there select Account Settings.

Then on the left menu on that page, select Applications, then Edit the settings for the HTC ChaCha application. In that page you can see all the authorisations that the ChaCha has, scan down the list for Facebook chat, and then you can Remove it. Facebook chat no longer appears in my list, so I can't remember exactly what the icon/text says on the Facebook page.

Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of FB either - I got the ChaCha for the keyboard too :).

BB
    try this

just select network selection to manual
    gsm / wcdma /auto to gsm
    and always on data to off
    .. just change setting to wcdma and data to on when you want internet
    data doesnt work but battery life is great