Confirmation Ice Cream Sandwich for A500

Search This thread

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
It is good news that the French guy also confirmed that A500 will be getting ICS in about a month, it indeed is great :)

A month is a month, and for some it may feel like a long time. But I'm getting myself a Samsung Galaxy Note next week so I'll have something to toy around with until that :p

WOWEEEEEEE

Lucky you .. awesome news.. I am going to wait for dual core maybe even try to hold to see what really happens with windows 8 .. thou im not holding my breath.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
if while eating a icecream sandwich. You accidentally dripped some on the screen of your Iconia,you could get some Iconia icecream sandwich love with the flick of your tongue. Might be all the I c s you will ever see from Acer for the Iconia.thou its not from Acer but instead your desire for frozen treats.:p:p:p
Lighten up we do not have to be all serious.

Is this close enough to on topic.

wolverine423

Feb 22, 2011
Tennessee
if while eating a icecream sandwich. You accidentally dripped some on the screen of your Iconia,you could get some Iconia icecream sandwich love with the flick of your tongue. Might be all the I c s you will ever see from Acer for the Iconia.thou its not from Acer but instead your desire for frozen treats.:p:p:p
Lighten up we do not have to be all serious.

Is this close enough to on topic.

Closer to on topic? Yes.

Complete disregard for written language? Yes (Example: Not trying.to hate but that post. Is hard to read.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D)

Can't wait to see what Acer does with ICS.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011

AFAIK no. I do not know what and how one would compile ICS, let alone make it work properly. I have compiled Linux kernel probably thousands of times and I know my way around BusyBox, various Linux and Unix environments and all that, but I have no programming experience whatsoever with Android.

Perhaps it would be prudent to make a question here: does anyone here have experience with compiling a custom Android environment from sources and who could provide some pointers and/or assistance? I have a heavily overclocked quad-core system so I'm quite fine with compiling stuff. Linux kernel from mrproper'd sources with everything enabled takes about 7 minutes, so I think compiling full Android should take about an hour or two, so on that front I'm fine. I just would like to know how and what.

armada786

Feb 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
In the Nook Color Dec forum they have a good guide you could read to get at least a general understanding. Though I'm not aware of any public trees for our device of you needed to sync a repo.

Also ICS takes a good while to build. No where near 2 hours. It all depends on your PC specs.

jliedeka

Feb 7, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
The issue everyone seems to have now is the cameras. I found three libraries in /system/lib (HC 3.2.1), libcamera.so, libcamera_client.so and libcameraservice.so. There also may be (probably is?) a driver compiled into Acer's kernel. Someone would need to find where that is in the kernel binary. To make a legal GPL driver, one person could decompile that and create a spec. That would allow someone else to create a new driver without seeing the original code.

I haven't seen anyone post a kernel config for a working Iconia kernel but I'm just starting, there may be one.

Jim

tire_007

Jan 28, 2012
i just received a confirmation from acer live support that the iconia a500 is going to receive ics soon

fdebhuo.jpg

WereCatf

Jun 16, 2011
The issue everyone seems to have now is the cameras. I found three libraries in /system/lib (HC 3.2.1), libcamera.so, libcamera_client.so and libcameraservice.so.

Aye, I saw someone suggesting taking those binaries from some other laptop -- can't remember which -- which has the same hardware, but already has ICS, and using them. It might work, it might not work, no idea. Yet.

tonyblack

i just received a confirmation from acer live support that the iconia a500 is going to receive ics soon

View attachment 898122

I wish people would stop wetting themselves over what they hear from help desk droids. These guys are so far down the Acer foodchain there is no way they are going to be speaking with any knowledge or authority. ICS will come when it comes. Get over it and get on with your lives.

jliedeka

Feb 7, 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Aye, I saw someone suggesting taking those binaries from some other laptop -- can't remember which -- which has the same hardware, but already has ICS, and using them. It might work, it might not work, no idea. Yet.

I assume people already tried the ones from Honeycomb, then. Since they aren't kernel modules, I thought they might have a good chance of working unless some API has changed.

Jim

dincdoes.me

May 8, 2011
Detroit
Yes they have tried that no luck I'm sure you have been on tegraowners web site Jim if not under Tom development you will see a few thread one in mind that will show you most of what Thor and Digtex have done.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts