help me root/rom

Search This thread

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
I have broken my htc one I got from my brother so I am back to using the sgs4 I have, never planed to use the htc one for so long it just happens that way because of the speakers I used it to play music at work anyways I am going to use the sgs4 and root/rom it

I have rooted/romed in the past with my sgs1 using cm9 and used odin so I understand most thigns

not sure what info is useless here since I have been out of this for a while now, I actually posted about this same topic a while ago but then I got a htc one and with my ADD I forgot about this

Code:
Android 4.3

Software L720VPUEMK2

Hardware: L720.08

Baseband L720VPUEMK2

Kernel 3.4.0-1927016 se.infra@R0301-10#1 Sat Nov 16 11:05:09 KST 2013

Build JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2

SELinux Status: Enforcing SEPF_SPH-L720_4.3_0012

I assume I have to root first and then go from there - or can I just odin and have everything I need? I hate using odin so I want to use that as little as I can

do I have to odin since I have everything updated stock?

basically I am asking what do I have to do now, I have been reading for a few hours now and I have been out of this scene for a while now and its hard to get the answers by reading everything since there is lots of stuff not related to what I want and people have been doing this for a while and the phone has been out for a while now so its hard not being in this from the beginning

thanks for your help

Reactions: btoddweber

bgibs1

Oct 10, 2013
Zebulon
I have broken my htc one I got from my brother so I am back to using the sgs4 I have, never planed to use the htc one for so long it just happens that way because of the speakers I used it to play music at work anyways I am going to use the sgs4 and root/rom it

I have rooted/romed in the past with my sgs1 using cm9 and used odin so I understand most thigns

not sure what info is useless here since I have been out of this for a while now, I actually posted about this same topic a while ago but then I got a htc one and with my ADD I forgot about this

Code:
Android 4.3

Software L720VPUEMK2

Baseband L720VPUEMK2

Build JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2

I assume I have to root first and then go from there - or can I just odin and have everything I need? I hate using odin so I want to use that as little as I can

basically I am asking what do I have to do now, I have been reading for a few hours now and I have been out of this scene for a while now and its hard to get the answers by reading everything since there is lots of stuff not related to what I want and people have been doing this for a while and the phone has been out for a while now so its hard not being in this from the beginning

thanks for your help

Start here.... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2291827

btoddweber

Jan 10, 2013
Knoxville
I used CF Auto root. Its awesome.
Then I used ROM manager from the market to flash in CWM.
In my reading I saw most.the recoveries being used were Philz and TWRP.
So after I let ROM manager flash CWM I DL.the latest Philz zip and flashed it from recovery.
Made many a nandroid and jump from TW to AOSP every day. *****The one thing you need to know is....have SE Linux checked under misc nandroid settings****otherwise it's no fun.

If you say "Please" be sure to "Hit Thanks!!!"

Reactions: CyberpodS2

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
So after I let ROM manager flash CWM I DL.the latest Philz zip and flashed it from recovery.
Made many a nandroid and jump from TW to AOSP every day. *****The one thing you need to know is....have SE Linux checked under misc nandroid settings****otherwise it's no fun.

so I have used cf auto root and installed cwm the rommanager that worked pretty well

I will assume that installing roms is the same as before after this

I am glad to see that things have been simplified here I will post back if I have problems again

I am wondering what is the best rom for me, I dont really care much if I have the touchwiz I used midnightrom and CM9 on my sgs1 epic before and loved it the lack of touchwiz wasnt a problem for me - I dont like any of the samsung apps at all and never want to use the sprint apps, I would not like it if the widgets go away I use those for my btc prices and my mining rig hashrate

I could use a stock rom for this phone if all the crappy sprint apps have been removed

like I said I have been out of this game for a while and at the time CM9 was just about the best rom out so I used that, all the others were good just didnt have as many features

Last edited:

nobody291

Jan 25, 2012
I am wondering what is the best rom for me

Everyone has their own preferences, so you just need to look at what's available. The great thing about Android is that there are so many options, but that creates a fair amount of work too. With root you can delete whatever app you want, so bloatware isn't much of an issue. To see what apps are safe to remove, most ROM developers post what they remove. You can also freeze the apps using things like Titanium Backup, so that you can easily restore them if you decide you want something back.

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
Everyone has their own preferences, so you just need to look at what's available. The great thing about Android is that there are so many options, but that creates a fair amount of work too. With root you can delete whatever app you want, so bloatware isn't much of an issue. To see what apps are safe to remove, most ROM developers post what they remove. You can also freeze the apps using things like Titanium Backup, so that you can easily restore them if you decide you want something back.

yea I know there are lots of roms, what are some of the most stable roms out - I can see that the cyanogenmod is only nightly builds nothing stable is that a problem, I havent seen CM in this forums on the first few pages so is it not one of the better ones anymore?

what are a few of the most stable roms that have most of the features that would be needed - nothing that has strange glitches like in the past there were problems with GPS working and a few other things

leaderbuilder

yea I know there are lots of roms, what are some of the most stable roms out - I can see that the cyanogenmod is only nightly builds nothing stable is that a problem, I havent seen CM in this forums on the first few pages so is it not one of the better ones anymore?

what are a few of the most stable roms that have most of the features that would be needed - nothing that has strange glitches like in the past there were problems with GPS working and a few other things
What you are asking for is HERE in these forums. PLEASE do your own searching and research for these answers This particular question "..Best ROM" is one of the biggest no no's across all XDA.
Search, READ, experiment and you will find what suites you.
Good luck.

Reactions: btoddweber

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
I am going to skirt the "best rom" issue and just drop a list of what has been good for me... If you try all of these you'll certainly find one that works for you. I have intentionally mixed up the order here to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.. LOL

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521870

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588745

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2512983

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2312063

Take a weekend and try them all. Make backups of each as you go through them and your all set!

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
What you are asking for is HERE in these forums. PLEASE do your own searching and research for these answers This particular question "..Best ROM" is one of the biggest no no's across all XDA.
Good luck.

you are absolutely right I dont know why I even asked that "best rom" it was stupid I admit it I feel stupid about that one I dont want to say I mistyped but I wasnt thinking I totally understand the reason why its a bad question to ask and why there isnt a real answer so I am sorry and I do know its one of those things you dont ask I have read that in the past but I forgot or something

what I ment to say was mainly what roms are the most complete in the sense that they have all the things working that should be like gps/wifi/4g/lte things like that, in the past a few roms were missing things like that

are there any that certain apps wont work for? I use and rely on "no led" app I just love the way it shows the colored icons on screen

Last edited:

nobody291

Jan 25, 2012
what I ment to say was mainly what roms are the most complete in the sense that they have all the things working

The big split in ROMs is between touchwiz and AOSP. Touchwiz is Samsung's layer on top of the core Android Google produces. Some features like multi-window, the standard Samsung keyboard, air gesture, etc. rely on touchwiz to work. I'm sure you can find a complete list of what relies on touchwiz to see if any of it is important to you. I think most ROMs will have all radios working, but like others have said, just make sure to have backups of your current setup to go back to and experiment, and since you already have the MK2 modem, make sure whatever ROM you choose is compatible with MK2. It doesn't take all that long to flash different ROMs and see what you think.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but custom ROMs just take existing modules and combine them to save you work. But, you can start with the stock rooted ROM and build your own experience from there too. Check out the hotspot mod, custom kernels, Xposed modules, various themes, and build something that works for you.

Reactions: leftkidney

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
The big split in ROMs is between touchwiz and AOSP. Touchwiz is Samsung's layer on top of the core Android Google produces. Some features like multi-window, the standard Samsung keyboard, air gesture, etc. rely on touchwiz to work. I'm sure you can find a complete list of what relies on touchwiz to see if any of it is important to you. I think most ROMs will have all radios working, but like others have said, just make sure to have backups of your current setup to go back to and experiment, and since you already have the MK2 modem, make sure whatever ROM you choose is compatible with MK2. It doesn't take all that long to flash different ROMs and see what you think.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but custom ROMs just take existing modules and combine them to save you work. But, you can start with the stock rooted ROM and build your own experience from there too. Check out the hotspot mod, custom kernels, Xposed modules, various themes, and build something that works for you.

so yea I dont really like the touchwiz interface I liked using the stock android theme my last phone had using CM9 so touchwiz isnt really needed

I do need to be able to use widgets though like the ones for apps that show me the prices of gold/silver my bitcoins/litecoins and the mining speed from my miners using the api I have - dont some of the widgets need touchwiz to work, not the touchwiz widgets but the ones that apps create

I have installed roms before so I know its not hard but once you get into this things can get out of control and after a while you find your self having to use odin and then things get scary cuz lets face it who really likes using odin unless something has changed from last year odin is just about the only thing that could really brick your phone if something goes wrong

thanks for your help I will give it a go and hope nothing bad happens

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
If you don't like touchwiz, but want the full functionality of you phone features. Why not use a different launcher? There are a lot to choose from.

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
If you don't like touchwiz, but want the full functionality of you phone features. Why not use a different launcher? There are a lot to choose from.

you mean just install a different launcher?

I dont want any of the sprint crap on the phone either no need for sprint news and all that crap

wouldnt just installing a different launcher just be a skin you cant remove touchwiz from what I remember so I need a rom that doesent have touchwiz in it

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
you mean just install a different launcher?

I dont want any of the sprint crap on the phone either no need for sprint news and all that crap

wouldnt just installing a different launcher just be a skin you cant remove touchwiz from what I remember so I need a rom that doesent have touchwiz in it

Yes, you had stressed earlier that you wanted all things working. If you want any of the S features to work on your phone than you need to keep touchwiz as your base rom. Installing a different launcher can give you that. If you like the look of AOSP, there is a new google now launcher that can provide more of an AOSP look. You can remove a lot of the bloat and sprint stuff fairly easily with TiBu or a root file explorer. Just be cautious, removing some of the Sprint stuff will screw up your phone and cause the ability to update PRL or Profile to fail.

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
Yes, you had stressed earlier that you wanted all things working. If you want any of the S features to work on your phone than you need to keep touchwiz as your base rom. Installing a different launcher can give you that. If you like the look of AOSP, there is a new google now launcher that can provide more of an AOSP look. You can remove a lot of the bloat and sprint stuff fairly easily with TiBu or a root file explorer. Just be cautious, removing some of the Sprint stuff will screw up your phone and cause the ability to update PRL or Profile to fail.

yea wanted all things working but I guess after looking at it I dont use much of the "S" features if at all so I will just have to try some out and see whats up

one thing I was wondering about is the "gapps" in the past I had to make sure it was the exact right one for the exact rom I was using but now I dont see much about saying a specific version of gapps for the roms rather just to install gapps and get the latest one - so the gapps that would be for the sprint phone should work for the roms?

I do however like the feature where you wave your hand over the screen when its off and it lights up to show you the time and info, it would suck if that went away but I can deal with it

Last edited:

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
I would like to know if there are any problems with using the samsung tec tiles, those NFC sticker tags with other roms that wouldnt have any touchwiz stuff

I assume that they are just NFC so they should work but I want to be sure

leftkidney

Nov 21, 2010
I havent installed a rom yet been busy - but I did get root

I noticed I have an OTA update waiting, I assume its 4.4 so if I update will I have problems rooting or remove root and make installing roms hard?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am going to skirt the "best rom" issue and just drop a list of what has been good for me... If you try all of these you'll certainly find one that works for you. I have intentionally mixed up the order here to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.. LOL

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2521870

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588745

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2512983

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2312063

Take a weekend and try them all. Make backups of each as you go through them and your all set!

Code:
    Android 4.3

Software L720VPUEMK2

Baseband L720VPUEMK2

Build JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2

thanks for your help
    Safe Root works great for our phone. Here is the link: http://www.droidviews.com/root-verizon-galaxy-s4-sch-i545-on-android-4-3-vruemk2/ . I know, it takes you off of xda, but you can root your phone with out using odin. It is quick and easy. You can then install a twrp through goo manager. No need to use odin for that. Good luck.

Good luck.