WARNING: KitKat OTA patches tethering hack

Search This thread

iBolski

Found out that the latest KitKat soak (and the upcoming OTA) breaks the SqlLite hack that allowed tethering.

Fear not, I have found a hack used for the Droid Ultra.

Go here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578410

Follow the instructions except, when you click on the link to download the APK,. it's actually name with a .ZIP extension. When you download it to your phone, just rename it with an .apk extension instead and follow the instructions to the letter. Read them carefully and reread them.

I can verify it works.

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Found out that the latest KitKat soak (and the upcoming OTA) breaks the SqlLite hack that allowed tethering.

Follow the instructions except, when you click on the link to download the APK,. it's actually name with a .ZIP extension. When you download it to your phone, just rename it with an .apk extension instead and follow the instructions to the letter. Read them carefully and reread them.

I can verify it works.

Hot damm, thanks for the heads up on this. This is the Verizon app "Wireless Hotspot" hack that they've fixed, correct? Good to know there is another hack out there prior to losing the wireless tethering capability when I upgrade to KK. The new exploit/hack allows use of the same Verizon app, yes?

Reactions: Daigham

iBolski

Hot damm, thanks for the heads up on this. This is the Verizon app "Wireless Hotspot" hack that they've fixed, correct? Good to know there is another hack out there prior to losing the wireless tethering capability when I upgrade to KK. The new exploit/hack allows use of the same Verizon app, yes?

The exploit/hack was the SqlLite where you went and modified the "Entitlement Check" to 0. This no longer works under the new KK OTA update.

Instead, the "hack" uses a modified version of the VzwEntitlementService.apk file. It's not as easy as the SqlLite hack, but it works none-the-less.

Apparently, the Droid Ultra had the same issue and this hack was made for the Droid Ultra, but it works for the RAZR HD as I have applied it.

You must be rooted in order to make this work since you have to use Root Explorer to go into the /system directory and make modifications there.

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
The exploit/hack was the SqlLite where you went and modified the "Entitlement Check" to 0. This no longer works under the new KK OTA update.

Instead, the "hack" uses a modified version of the VzwEntitlementService.apk file. It's not as easy as the SqlLite hack, but it works none-the-less.

Apparently, the Droid Ultra had the same issue and this hack was made for the Droid Ultra, but it works for the RAZR HD as I have applied it.

You must be rooted in order to make this work since you have to use Root Explorer to go into the /system directory and make modifications there.

Similar to installing a cracked .dll file for hacked software (um, not that I do that ever...)

Question for you, regarding the procedure for installing the OTA. I am bootloader unlocked like you are, just wanted to get firsthand knowledge on the topic. Let me know if I have this right:

- Download OTA (whenever it gets here - I'm always the last to receive it)

- Unroot

- Take OTA (pending I haven't deleted any system files I shouldn't have)

- Flash the CWM recovery that is built for our phones on KK.

- Reinstall SuperSU via recovery

- Profit

iBolski

Similar to installing a cracked .dll file for hacked software (um, not that I do that ever...)

Question for you, regarding the procedure for installing the OTA. I am bootloader unlocked like you are, just wanted to get firsthand knowledge on the topic. Let me know if I have this right:

- Download OTA (whenever it gets here - I'm always the last to receive it)

- Unroot

- Take OTA (pending I haven't deleted any system files I shouldn't have)

- Flash the CWM recovery that is built for our phones on KK.

- Reinstall SuperSU via recovery

- Profit

Yes. That's pretty much it. The official OTA should be coming out in the next week or so.

If you go to this thread that I started (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2749157), it explains what to do when you are ready to take the OTA, although it was done from my perspective. It probably worked for me using 9.30.1 because I was part of the soak test and so my phone was registered for it. Others had issues who weren't part of the soak test and they would get "key not valid" errors when trying to install it. That's why I would probably hold off until the official OTA comes out.

The big part is when it reboots after the initial install and you have to go back into the recovery again and start the 2nd part of the install. I didn't know that and for days, I was at a loss in getting this to work. I was then trying to downgrade to 9.16 so I could then take two more OTAs to upgrade to 9.18 when all along, it was that I didn't know about the new recovery that had to be installed in order to make this. Of course, Motorola/Verizon didn't tell us that when it was time for the soak test.

Last edited:

Keshav_is

Jun 26, 2012
How do i take backup of root and restore after upgrading to 4.4 on Droid Razr HD xt926.

I m currently on stock Rom , Rooted.

iBolski

How do i take backup of root and restore after upgrading to 4.4 on Droid Razr HD xt926.

If your bootloader is NOT unlocked, you can't preserve root from JB to KK. There is no known way of getting root back after upgrading to KK unless you have an unlocked bootloader.

As for unlocking the bootloader, don't ask. Once the exploit was fixed months ago, there has never been a way to do it again without Motorola's help. So, please do not ask me or others on how to unlock it as it's too late for those that applied the OTA months ago that fixed the exploit to unlock the bootloader.

Basically, you have to either wait and see if someone eventually comes up with a way to achieve root on locked bootloaders, or else, stay on JB if you wish to preserve root.

Reactions: Keshav_is

djvita

Sep 9, 2013
Guadalajara
unlocked bootloader

what about people on a kk custom rom? i know ill just wait for the devs to port the kernel and features to the roms but say if there is someone adventurous and wants to try the official rom (incase they are sick of the bugs or something)?

I can verify it works.

I have working tether on KK based on this... As soon as the official FXZ is out I will finish up and release my ROM inclusive of this :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Reactions: Daigham and iBolski

ajent

Jul 29, 2007
FL
OnePlus 7 Pro
If it helps until another solution is found, PDAnet app works with USB tether, if you're just tethering to a PC. There is an option to share wifi from the PC with PDAnet as well.

Working for me with locked BL and kitkat.

embeem

Dec 6, 2010
If you're rooted you can load xposed and use the moto tethering module patch; advantage over the apk replacement above is the ease of install/uninstall and the lack of the checking status popup.

Reactions: iBolski

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
If you're rooted you can load xposed and use the moto tethering module patch; advantage over the apk replacement above is the ease of install/uninstall and the lack of the checking status popup.
the new exploit I released specifically for this phone does not require the apk replacement and doesn't pop up checking subscription
Rooted Unlocked 4.4.2 with tether running. Thanks Topsnake!

It's been a good couple days, jumped from JB to KK, restored root and unlocked then enabled wifi tether. Incredawsume! :D

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578410
glad its working for you!

Droid Maxx "Developer Edition"

Last edited:
Reactions: iBolski

iBolski

the new exploit I released specifically for this phone does not require the apk replacement and doesn't pop up checking subscription

glad its working for you!

Droid Maxx "Developer Edition"

Awesome. Thanks for the hard work you do for everyone. We all appreciate it!

BTW, is the new exploit in the original thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2787763) or somewhere else? I couldn't find it in the original thread as that appears to be the old apk replacement.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I can verify it works.

I can verify it works.

I have working tether on KK based on this... As soon as the official FXZ is out I will finish up and release my ROM inclusive of this :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I can verify it works.

If your bootloader is NOT unlocked, you can't preserve root from JB to KK. There is no known way of getting root back after upgrading to KK unless you have an unlocked bootloader.

As for unlocking the bootloader, don't ask. Once the exploit was fixed months ago, there has never been a way to do it again without Motorola's help. So, please do not ask me or others on how to unlock it as it's too late for those that applied the OTA months ago that fixed the exploit to unlock the bootloader.

Basically, you have to either wait and see if someone eventually comes up with a way to achieve root on locked bootloaders, or else, stay on JB if you wish to preserve root.