2 amp car charger?

Search This thread

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
USB chargers designed for apple devices in principle will not supply more then 0.5A to non-apple devices.

You stumbled across an overpriced non-apple device charger. Since your phone can't short the data wires to draw more amperage, it's drawing around 500mAh.

Now, if you pick up the Motorola car charger on amazon for around $5, it would push around 950mAh to your phone, and charge the battery in a true "quickly" sense.

Unless youve tested it, you dont know what its pulling. How do you know the wires arent shorted? How do you know its not fast charging? I have the motorola charger...it didnt even work on the note 1 correctly (pushed 500mAh) vs another charger I had that pushed ~900mAh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

theoner1

Oct 10, 2008
Works perfectly out of the box

Got the same one from tj max and doesnt seem to charge my note 2 any faster than my samsung 700 mah car charger. Also tried to RCA brand that claim charge at 2.1a rate but also not any faster. Both of those 2.1a charger charge my note at 4% every ten minutes. Is 4% in ten minutes good?

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
Got the same one from tj max and doesnt seem to charge my note 2 any faster than my samsung 700 mah car charger. Also tried to RCA brand that claim charge at 2.1a rate but also not any faster. Both of those 2.1a charger charge my note at 4% every ten minutes. Is 4% in ten minutes good?

Mine charges double that rate (went from 20-28%) in less then 10minutes.

Maybe the source? Your car? I have 2 charging ports in my car. I really would love to test it to put all speculation to rest

drum747

Mar 4, 2011
Dogtown, Or
Last edited:

Nate Rules

Dec 25, 2010
AT&T has this one on their website. Says 2A and lists the Note 2:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories/chargers/sku6220281.html

I ordered a puregear charge only cable to see if that will work with a 2.1A charger, will report back when I receive it.

Also found this one all over the place for different phones but I notice they say it will work for the Note 2, anyone try this one?

http://www.shopandroid.com/panavise-dc-to-usb-power-adapter-2100mah/5AA11401.htm#useropinions

This AT&T one seems like the best bet, it at least claims to have 2 amps running through the usb. I'm pretty sure this is the same one for $10. http://www.wirelessground.com/attz9usbcar.html?utm_source=attz9usbcar&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts&gclid=CNrB5Lfr2LMCFad_QgodtD4A_g

Edit: I went ahead and ordered the AT&T one from wireless ground. How do you test the current? Is there an app or do you need special equipment? I will post my results if I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: drum747

magicwands

Nov 10, 2009
monoprice

I got the 2.1 amp bullet charger and 2 OTG cables to use my thumb drives with this phone for less than $8 on monoprice. Hard to beat em.

sky1193

Apr 13, 2011
I picked up a rocketfish premium of eBay for about $10 should be here tomorrow I'll let you know how it is.

Regurgitated From My Giant Note II

hopefulfarm

Oct 30, 2012
Madison
I ordered the Qmadix car charger, it arrived over the weekend. I plan to work my phone hard today and test the charger on the trip home.

Qmadix charger

it's a 2.1amp charger with a cord for iphones AND a regular micro-USB cord. Has 2 ports. If you charge 2 devices they will share the 2.1 amps.

I plugged it in to my car today, it's got a nice blue illumination light. Cord is rugged. So far I like it, i just need to test it!

Last edited:

elite-fusion

Sep 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I ordered the Qmadix car charger, it arrived over the weekend. I plan to work my phone card today and test the charger on the trip home.

Qmadix charger

it's a 2.1amp charger with a cord for iphones AND a regular micro-USB cord. Has 2 ports. If you charge 2 devices they will share the 2.1 amps.

I plugged it in to my car today, it's got a nice blue illumination light. Cord is rugged. So far I like it, i just need to test it!

Please report back, because I was looking to purchase one which is also a Qmadix charger, but its a 4.2amp, so both ports feed 2.1amps each.
Black : http://www.amazon.com/Qmadix-QM-DMC...ie=UTF8&qid=1353349423&sr=8-5&keywords=qmadix
White : http://www.amazon.com/Qmadix-QM-DMC...ie=UTF8&qid=1353349423&sr=8-8&keywords=qmadix

Still hesitant about this compny because it doesnt look all that great of a quality but i dont really care lol as long as it works, so please report back when you test yours out :)

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
For those who have chargers to test, can you use this app please

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.manor.currentwidget

So we know if it actually charges at the full 2A.

Thanks.

According to the reviews on Google Play, this app doesn't work on S3's or Note 2's.

I just tried it. I can confirm it DOES NOT work. Shows 1mAh when hooked to my charger.

Phone is bone stock btw

hopefulfarm

Oct 30, 2012
Madison
Please report back, because I was looking to purchase one which is also a Qmadix charger, but its a 4.2amp, so both ports feed 2.1amps each.
Black : http://www.amazon.com/Qmadix-QM-DMC...ie=UTF8&qid=1353349423&sr=8-5&keywords=qmadix
White : http://www.amazon.com/Qmadix-QM-DMC...ie=UTF8&qid=1353349423&sr=8-8&keywords=qmadix

Still hesitant about this compny because it doesnt look all that great of a quality but i dont really care lol as long as it works, so please report back when you test yours out :)

I can report thia charger is da bomb!! Went from 73% to 87% in under 20 minutes on my drive home, while i was on the phone using blue tooth with gps running in the background.

The 4 amp charger, before you buy it, verify it has the correct cord. The one i looked at on Amazon only had cords for the iphone. The one i bought had 2 cords, one for the iphone and one for android phones.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

elite-fusion

Sep 12, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I can report thia charger is da bomb!! Went from 73% to 87% in under 20 minutes on my drive home, while i was on the phone using blue tooth with gps running in the background.

The 4 amp charger, before you buy it, verify it has the correct cord. The one i looked at on Amazon only had cords for the iphone. The one i bought had 2 cords, one for the iphone and one for android phones.

Which did you get? Because I think the white one comes with wire, the black one does not, but i could be mistaken. Is this the exact same one you have? Where did you purchase yours from?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow, sounds like this thread is heating up just like some of your 2A chargers :)

I'm just going to state the facts based on what I have tested and reviewed. First of all, download Galaxy Charging Current app. I found it to be relatively accurate with my wall/car charger calculations.

The reason why your charger is overheating is very simple. You are converting AC to DC (wall charger) or DC to DC (car charger). Cheap electronic components with thin wires/board traces will be loosing it's efficiency during conversion - lose of that energy is released through a heat. Too much of it and you will burn ICs and can melt housing of your converter.

Thin usb cables (those designed for PC with 500mA usb ports) will have too much resistance - results in loses so you can't charge at full speed. Get Monoprice 24awg/28awg usb cables with a ferrite filter/bead that have thick power wires which are able to handle up to 3A of current and will isolate power wires from data wires.

Some wall/car chargers will dual charging ports partition one for Apple and the other one for Android. I found some charger on amazon that will not charge Note 2 from apple port. The one I can recommend which I have reviewed in the forum is from Anker where you can charge your Note 2 at full 2A charging speed from Apple port. BUT, you need to have a thicker usb cable. If you use a thin cable - its a bottleneck that will prevent you from charging at full speed. Other Android devices can charge from Apple port but at slower speed. I tried it with my Nexus 7 tablets, had two charging up from both Anker charger ports (apple and android ports) and starting from the same battery level the one from android got charged up faster. I don't know what Samsung did with their charging port to piss off Apple, but they figured out a circuit to take full advantage of full charging speed from apple designated chargers. Again, I'm speaking from my own experience of testing/reviewing Anker and iSmooth wall and car chargers with dual output, one designated for android and the other one for apple. Those two had no issues charing Note 2 at full speed from Apple port.
    If you have a 5 Below near you, they have a 2.1 amp dual for 5 bucks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda premium
    Can you just paste a link on here so we can order?

That would be awesome. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

This is the charger I currently have

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Vehicle-Adapter-micro-USB-Charger/dp/B000S5Q9CA/ref=pd_cp_cps_0
    Somewhere I read that the Galaxy Tab 2.0 uses the same charger specs as our GN2. I found a Samsung OEM car Charger Samsung Galaxy Tab Detachable Car Charger with USB to 30 Pin Data Cable . It say's Samsung on the side at 5v 2000ma and puts the phone into AC charge mode.

Here are the results:
    2013-02-24-08-17-58.jpg
    2013-02-24-08-18-12.jpg
    As you can see I have the about 8% for 10 minutes which seems decent to me.
    I also ordered on of these to try ReVIVE Series DualFLUX DC to USB Rapid Car Charger

Any thoughts on both choices?
    Ok here is the shot from when I got to work and was going to unplug

uploadfromtaptalk1353425358259.jpg
    84% and note the time. My commute was about 20 minutes. I had gps running during my commute.