[MOD][ROOT]Native Tether for Kit Kat 19.5.3

Search This thread

hlpuears

Jan 3, 2011
Stuck on Step 3

When I try to rename to .bak for both the .apk and .odex, it says "Operation Failed".

Help? Thanks so much.

Ok first things first, this is not my work, im just compiling it and adjusting it for our phone. Original post is linked below with credit to cj64 and thedonxr for the source.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PHONE OR ANY DAMAGE INCURRED FROM APPLYING THIS.

Prerequisites:
Rooted Maxx/Ultra on Kit Kat 19.5.3

You will not be able to do this on stock phones. If you are on Kit Kat and are stock, there is currently no way to root it.

1. Download Root Explorer by Jrummy in the Play store.

2. Download VZWEntitlementServices.apk below on your Maxx/Ultra.

3. Go into Root Explorer and find System folder, find priv-app, inside priv-app long press VZWEntitlementServices.apk and VZWEntitlementServices.odex rename to VZWEntitlementServices.apk.bak and VZWEntitlementServices.odex.bak and back out to first folder.

4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you downloaded from step 2 copy it and back out to the home folder enter the system folder and then the app folder and paste it.

5. Long press on the file and hit permissions in the menu. change permissions Owner: Read/Write, Group:Read, Others: Read (should show rw-r--r--)

6. Exit out of root explorer and try to enable your native hotspot. It may force close or just check the box with no action like mine .

7. Go back to root explorer and move the VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you put in the system folder to the priv-app folder.

8. Check the tether it should work.

9. PROFIT! Thank baby jesus and buy me a beer lol

OP:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536166

summer.cat

Mar 15, 2012
Voronezh
Topsnake
Hello!
I'm an GSM-network subscriber and the way, you suggested didn't solve tethering unavailability for me.
Believe, i read you post carefully)
I'd like to add some extra info about how this problem was solved for me.

You should be rooted!
First - delete or freeze VZWEntitlementcheck.apk & VZWEntitlementcheck.odex
Second - using one of SQLite editors, open "Settings Storage", "settings.db" database, "Secure" section and change entitlement_check value from 1 to 0.
Reboot.
All done!

Please, keep in mind, this method working for GSM networks and may not work in Verizon Wireless.

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Topsnake
Hello!
I'm an GSM-network subscriber and the way, you suggested didn't solve tethering unavailability for me.
Believe, i read you post carefully)
I'd like to add some extra info about how this problem was solved for me.

You should be rooted!
First - delete or freeze VZWEntitlementcheck.apk & VZWEntitlementcheck.odex
Second - using one of SQLite editors, open "Settings Storage", "settings.db" database, "Secure" section and change entitlement_check value from 1 to 0.
Reboot.
All done!

Please, keep in mind, this method working for GSM networks and may not work in Verizon Wireless.

That is the widely known entitlement hack. That only works for pre 4.4. Anything kit Kat and above either doesn't have said field or already has it set to 0. So in this case, being that this mod is for kit Kat. The method you posted is obsolete. Please edit your post to avoid confusion.

Droid Maxx "Developer Edition"

summer.cat

Mar 15, 2012
Voronezh
That is the widely known entitlement hack. That only works for pre 4.4. Anything kit Kat and above either doesn't have said field or already has it set to 0. So in this case, being that this mod is for kit Kat. The method you posted is obsolete. Please edit your post to avoid confusion.

Strange to hear this... i'll recheck at the evening and if you are right, i'll edit my post

PILLMUZIK3600

Jun 28, 2013
If either way you can achieve native tether I don't see a problem here... GREAT JOB

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

odorfreedk

Feb 11, 2013
preserve root.

I have a rooted droid razr maxx hd on 4.1.2 (9.18.94.XT926). I know there will be kit kat OTA soon and I was wondering if anyone know how to preserve root when I upgrade to kit kat. Will the original OTA not mess with my root? Thanks!

Last edited:

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
I have a rooted droid razr maxx hd on 4.1.2 (9.18.94.XT926). I know there will be kit kat OTA soon and I was wondering if anyone know how to preserve root when I upgrade to kit kat. Will the original OTA not mess with my root? Thanks!

You are so not in the right thread...

EDIT: And the answer to your question is you cannot take the OTA update while rooted.

Last edited:

samabuelsamid

Oct 19, 2010
Ypsilanti
Ok first things first, this is not my work, im just compiling it and adjusting it for our phone. Original post is linked below with credit to cj64 and thedonxr for the source.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PHONE OR ANY DAMAGE INCURRED FROM APPLYING THIS.

Prerequisites:
Rooted Maxx/Ultra on Kit Kat 19.5.3

You will not be able to do this on stock phones. If you are on Kit Kat and are stock, there is currently no way to root it.

2. Download VZWEntitlementServices.apk below on your Maxx/Ultra.

3. Go into Root Explorer and find System folder, find priv-app, inside priv-app long press VZWEntitlementServices.apk and VZWEntitlementServices.odex rename to VZWEntitlementServices.apk.bak and VZWEntitlementServices.odex.bak and back out to first folder.

4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you downloaded from step 2 copy it and back out to the home folder enter the system folder and then the app folder and paste it.

5. Long press on the file and hit permissions in the menu. change permissions Owner: Read/Write, Group:Read, Others: Read (should show rw-r--r--)

6. Exit out of root explorer and try to enable your native hotspot. It may force close or just check the box with no action like mine .

7. Go back to root explorer and move the VZWEntitlementServices.apk that you put in the system folder to the priv-app folder.

10. Donations are appreciated to TopSnake

OP:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536166

After messing around trying to get the Wifi Tether app that I've used for the past three years working after KK upgrade, this process worked perfectly in just a few minutes on my Droid Razr Maxx HD XT926

Topsnake

Jan 30, 2011
Glad to here its working! Thanks to those who donated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEITHER MYSELF NOR XDA ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

2. Download the tether zip attached to this post.

4. Go to sdcard folder, download and find tether.zip that you downloaded from step 2. Extract the build.prop, copy it and back out to the home folder. enter the system folder. Rename the build.prop that is there to build.prop.bak, then paste the one you extracted from the zip.

6. Exit out of root explorer

7. Reboot

Thanks

Confirmed, works beautifully on Droid Maxx...this has been mentioned several times but us still worth a mention...the phone will still act like it's checking entitlement, but it's not.
    Woops lol - I have a Razr M, not thinking clearly today..

Any idea if this will work on Razr M?

Or if there is a way to get native tether back for Razr M on 4.4.2?

Try the 19.5.3 exploit for the razr m.

Sorry dumb question but how do I figure out if I have 19.5.3 or 19.6.3?

I thought Kit Kat was 4.4.2.

(My system version is 183.46.10 and no version number for anything in my "About Phone" section looks anything like 19.x.3...)

Please help - thanks!

Go to > Settings/About phone
    You will see > (Android version) and below that you will see (System version)..these two combined is the info you need..if you have a Droid Maxx..then you will see something like this..4.2.2_12.15.15 which is Jelly Bean (or) 4.4_19.5.3 which is Kit Kat..the Maxx hasn't upgraded to 4.4.2 yet..which is on the Moto X..

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
    (Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #1
    http://waynekent.com/page6.html
    I tried to search for the moto tether, using in-app module search but cannot find moto tether. Did you mean x tether?

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

AWESOME!!!!
    Replaced it with the right build prop, now all good :D
    Cheers sensei!!!
    Glad you got it worked out