Tablet UI on Nexus 7 [How to / Video / Build.prop Modification]

Search This thread

Spartacii

Jan 1, 2012
I am sorry if this is a noob question but I am confused about something.

The high pixel density of the Nexus 7 is one of its main attractions. Basically, a 10" resolution in a 7" screen. No Retina Display but still.

So if you lower the LCD density from 213 or 216 to 170 dpi for the sake of having the Tablet UI, aren't you losing one of the N7's main selling points? Aren't you losing text sharpness and clarity that comes from a high dpi?

iwantanandroid

Mar 12, 2012
With the dpi changed to allow tablet ui... Does screen auto rotate?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

Tone_Capone

May 8, 2011
Ohio
This definitely gets me off the fence about buying one of these bad boys. I just couldn't justify buying a 7 inch phone when I already have a Nexus.

Looks like I may be ordering one on Friday! :-D

Sent from my Gummyfied Galaxy Nexus

adiliyo

Oct 25, 2009
Los Angeles
I am sorry if this is a noob question but I am confused about something.

The high pixel density of the Nexus 7 is one of its main attractions. Basically, a 10" resolution in a 7" screen. No Retina Display but still.

So if you lower the LCD density from 213 or 216 to 170 dpi for the sake of having the Tablet UI, aren't you losing one of the N7's main selling points? Aren't you losing text sharpness and clarity that comes from a high dpi?

No, if anything things will look sharper because you are not modifying the actual DPI of the screen but lowering the DPI through build.prop gives the reverse effect, think of it like using a 17" monitor at 1080p vs using at 1024x768, the 170dpi makes the n7 look like the former, everything is smaller and in turn crisper in a way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

clintkev251

Jun 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Another question I have is that running no standard DPI's on my DHD, the market would lock out loads of apps with (Not compatible with this device).. would we end up the same situation with this tweak?

you will have to use an app such as lcd density modder pro that will install a cracked market that spoofs your lcd density values to google

EVOXGSR

Dec 23, 2011
it does not matter. soon paranoidandroid will be ported, as soon as source is out. this will enable true hybrid mode. since version 1.6 we are independent of build.prop, you dont need to boot your entire phone into a dpi and by doing so screw things up. you can then simply drop systemUI into either tablet, phablet or phone mode, scaling and displaying everything else (navbar, buttons, widgets, apps, system components, lockscreen, etc.) in the way you want just like you do on the 40~ devices that have it now.

I am waiting for this so bad! Already have your rom on my GNex and its amazing. I guess for now I have to just use plain old build.prop on my NX7

SladeNoctis

May 29, 2010
New York
it does not matter. soon paranoidandroid will be ported, as soon as source is out. this will enable true hybrid mode. since version 1.6 we are independent of build.prop, you dont need to boot your entire phone into a dpi and by doing so screw things up. you can then simply drop systemUI into either tablet, phablet or phone mode, scaling and displaying everything else (navbar, buttons, widgets, apps, system components, lockscreen, etc.) in the way you want just like you do on the 40~ devices that have it now.

I can't wait for your team's rom, personally i'm a fan and i know its going to be a huge success with jelly bean.

iwantanandroid

Mar 12, 2012

patterone

Jun 16, 2011
i have trouble understanding this.... seems to me, if you lower the "dots per inch" dpi, you have less dots available on the screen. the resolution has to go down

Mfeigley

Jun 17, 2010
Baton Rouge, LA
How do the expandable notifications work in the tablet ui? Do you still slide down with two fingers even though it has to slide up since it's at the bottom of the screen?

ande_uk

Mar 23, 2010
Yorkshire
i have trouble understanding this.... seems to me, if you lower the "dots per inch" dpi, you have less dots available on the screen. the resolution has to go down

No, it makes all icons and text smaller and everything more crisp, i do the same on my gnex, by default the density is 320, but i have it set to 240.

when android screens were 800x480px (and lower) the launcher was a 4x4 grid, when the gnex came out it had a 1280x720 screen but still only 4x4 grid, it didn't make sense, lowering the dpi enabled me to get a 7x7 grid.

SilentMobius

Apr 17, 2007

You are lowering the _value_ that Android _reports_ as it's DPI, you are not changing the screen at all. In effect you are lying about the physical size of the screen

The default is 213dpi with a resolution of 1280×800 hence it's claiming that the display is 6in x 3.75in (7 inch diagonal)
If you alter the DPI to 170 you are lying to the system (and apps) and claiming that the 1280x800 display is actually 7.5in x 4.7in (8.8 inch diagonal)

When the apps think the screen is bigger they make the icons smaller and enable extra features (like multi-pane UIs)

Last edited:

Eclair~

Dec 21, 2009
(like multi-pane UIs)

Please note the Nexus 7 already utilizes "Fragments" in its user interface.

screenshot20120705at907.png

Only the launcher on the device remains "phone like", apps stay in tablet form.

Reactions: MaxCarnage

SladeNoctis

May 29, 2010
New York
Please note the Nexus 7 already utilizes "Fragments" in its user interface.

screenshot20120705at907.png

Only the launcher on the device remains "phone like", apps stay in tablet form.

That's in some apps since Google decided to give the Nexus 7 a hybrid of tablet ui and phone ui. They pretty much did this since there isn't a lot of compatible tablet apps on the play store so to deal with the lack of compatible tablet apps. They gave the Nexus 7 a 213 dpi and under the Nexus 7 model it can run most phone apps and all tablet apps. But the fragments layout is not widespread like in tablet ui where even settings is in fragments layout. The reason some people prefer the tablet ui is because of cross combination of navigation and notification bars and its good fragments layout across most major apps including Youtube. Eventually i'll have to edit the systemui.apk or if somebody can guide me of editing the systemui so we can stop depending on the dpi that much and have a similar experience do those that are familiar with parnoidandroid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So tablet ui is possible by a simple editing of the dpi of you Nexus 7.
    Here's how you can do it yourself with an file explorer of your personal preference of file explorer.

For those wanting a explanation of what dpi does for your device read below
    You are lowering the _value_ that Android _reports_ as it's DPI, you are not changing the screen at all. In effect you are lying about the physical size of the screen

The default is 213dpi with a resolution of 1280×800 hence it's claiming that the display is 6in x 3.75in (7 inch diagonal)
    If you alter the DPI to 160 you are lying to the system (and apps) and claiming that the 1280x800 display is actually 7.5in x 4.7in (8.8 inch diagonal)

When the apps think the screen is bigger they make the icons smaller and enable extra features (like multi-pane UIs)

Requirements

1. Rooted Nexus 7
    2. Have a nandroid backup and a backup of your original build.prop(just in case)
    3. Any file explorer that has root access to your system files
    4. A bag of jelly beans for a few snack moments :p

Note: i'm not responsible if your Nexus 7 explodes into a bunch of jelly beans.

Tip: once you have tablet ui change you font size by going into display settings to your preferred size.

Video Guide i made, late at night from a busy day...so if i talk funny blame the lack of nutrition and sleep :p

Method 1(Recommended)

1. Get Rom Toolbox Lite or Pro if you want to support awesome app
    2. Swipe to performance and press build.prop editor
    3. Now scroll down to ro.sf.lcd_density
    4. Press on it and change the dpi to 160 dpi
    5. After doing that press ok and back out
    6. Reboot your Nexus 7 and enjoy some tablet ui goodness.

Method 2

Note: I'll be using ES File Explorer as my file explorer in this method
    1. Get a file explorer such as MIUI File Explorer, File Expert, ES File Explorer
    Note: For ES File Explorer go to settings allow mount rewritable and root access
    2.Then go to system
    Note: ES File Explorer just go to the star button on the top left hand side and click on the phone button and you will see the system folder
    3.You will find a build.prop file make sure to make a copy of it and save it somewhere just in case for a backup.
    4.Then click on the build.prop and open it with a text editor. (ES file manager has its own text editor called ES Text Editor...go figure :p)
    5. Now scroll down to "ro.sf.lcd_density"
    6. Now the original lcd density is 213 so the best result for tablet mode is 160 dpi
    7. Save the file by press the menu button.
    8. Reboot your N7 and then you got Tablet UI.

Method 3

1. Get Buildprop Editor
    2. Navigate to system and find the build.prop
    3. Then find the line with "ro.sf.lcd_density"
    4. Now the original lcd density is 213 so the best result for tablet mode is 160 dppi
    5. Now save the file and reboot your device. Enjoy

Update 07/05/2012 In my personal experience with LCD Density Modder, changing dpi works and will cause you issues(lost root, bootloop, softbrick).:( Will update if the app gets updated for support.

Update 07/18/2012 Working on a way to get tablet ui without touching the build.prop. Its going to take some time with my tight schedule but i'll do my best. For those that experienced no boot, or lost root

To gain root access / obtain clockworkmod / unlock bootloader with toolkit

To return to stock / unbrick you device

Now all thats left is to edit the systemui to get a more clean result. That will come soon.

If there's others ways to do this without causing harm to our tablets shoot me a pm and ill post it in the first post. Hope you guys find this helpful. :)

Enjoy some screenshot of tablet ui.

screen_20120703_0200.jpg
    screen_20120703_0159.png
    screen_20120703_0156.jpg
    screen_20120703_0155_2.png
    screen_20120703_0151_2.jpg
    screen_20120703_0155.png
    screen_20120703_0156_2.jpg
    screen_20120703_0157.jpg
    IMG_20120703_175113.jpg
    screen_20120703_0158.jpg

If you alter the DPI to 170 you are lying to the system (and apps) and claiming that the 1280x800 display is actually 7.5in x 4.7in (8.8 inch diagonal)

>Afaik the only way to have pics/jb kick into tablet mode is via dpi.

It's not DPI (dots-per-inch), which is a physical measure and can't be changed. Android uses an abstracted measure called "DP" (density-independent pixel), to allow for some standardization of all the varying screen sizes and densities.

N7 has a 216 DPI; it uses TVDPI (213 DP). Its effective resolution OOB is 600x961.

Android had four generalized densities: LDPI (120), MDPI (160), HDPI (240), and XHDPI (320). Android 3.2 added a 5th density setting, TVDPI (213). TVDPI was intended for 720p TV (XHDPI was intended for 1080p TV), but was found to fit hi-res 7" devices. If you mod the density, use a standard setting, as apps target these for layout and bitmaps.

To calculate resolution in DP:
    resolution / density * 160 = DP
    800 / 213 * 160 = 600 dp
    1280 / 213 * 160 = 961 dp

So N7's effective (DP) resolution is 600x961, using the official 213DP density. For native resolution, use 160DP density. Then you'd effectively have a 10" tablet shrunk to a 7", which won't be optimal for all cases.

More here,

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-3.2.html

Diane Hackborn has a write-up on G+ about the N7's particular display settings, along with the reasons behind its hybrid tablet/phone UI. Check it out for further insights.

https://plus.google.com/10505198573...FGLV8#105051985738280261832/posts/6eWwQvFGLV8
    May I ask how you go about changing the dpi?

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

It's in /system/build.prop

ro.sf.lcd_density=

I bought an app called LCD Density Switcher because it cracks the market to still show all the apps that disappear when you mod the density.
    How do the expandable notifications work in the tablet ui? Do you still slide down with two fingers even though it has to slide up since it's at the bottom of the screen?

Yes its exactly like that I'll post a video Saturday, and cover all the uses of tablet ui on the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium