[UTIL] S-OFF for Retail (S-ON) Devices, NOTE ADDED 8/17/11

Search This thread

pmcqueen

Jan 31, 2011
Seattle, WA
Just wanted to thank everybody for the hard work! the MT4GS is rooted and working perfectly with no problems....except titanium back-up wont remove any system programs. But ad free android works as does LBE security! Can't wait for some ROMS!

why not? are you sure you have busybox uninstalled? TiBu utilizes busybox to run most of its commands, so you need to have the most up-to-date busybox along with superuser in order to be able to use it.

it works fine removing system apps on my MT4GS.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Few more details just to get it out there:
-PC is running windows XP, x86 version.
-Freshly installed last night, updated enough to install the Java SDK (7) and Android SDK (12). Android SDK installed back to 2.3.3 from SDK manager & platform tools, but that's about it.
-installed Google chrome browser and adobe reader, HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, Winimage 8.1, EASEUS 8.0.1, HTC Fastboot drivers, and HTC Sync.
-Tried to make the computer as sterile as possible before trying to program the phone, and hopefully eliminate possible problems in the S-OFF/Root process.

Okay, here's what i've poked around at since my last post:

-Un-installed "busybox installer" using File Expert. (3rd party app uninstall works.)
-Verified Root and Busybox once more with Root Checker, then uninstalled that as well. (/settings/applications/manage applications/ uninstall Root Checker. System uninstall works as well.)
-Power off/on

-Update Google Maps through the Google Market.
-Google Maps icon copied from the app drawer to the left space in the dock bar, right next to the phone shortcut.
-Built in browser moved back to center dock space.
-Settings icon from the app drawer moved to the right side of the dock bar, in the last space next to the app drawer.
-Various app icons spread over the desktops, with a few folders that have app shortcuts in them.
-Have not installed any other new apps yet, and also have not removed any apps the device came with.

-Gps:
+/settings/location services/ use wireless networks (has been off since right after factory reset, have not turned on)
+/settings/location services/ use gps satellites (has been on since the factory reset, have not turned off)
+GPS, Bluetooth, Wireless, and Cellular have been turned on the whole time.
+Added the myTouch Power Control widget to the desktop.

I walked around my neighborhood, on the outskirts of a major city, since shortly after my last post. Ran Google maps (current Google market version) on satellite view for the duration, and messed with the flashlight and turning bluetooth on and off a few times as well.

-GPS refused to lock the first time I ran Google maps.
-Hit the home key so maps was still running in the background, then turned GPS off and back on using the HTC power widget.
-Opened maps again, GPS locked. Prompted me to go to location settings, which I did, and just closed that back out. GPS lost lock again, seemed to be because I went to location settings. Turning off then back on with the widget made it lock again.
-GPS was about as accurate as i'm used to it being on foot. Have yet to test in a vehicle.
-Noticed that maps saved my starred locations from before the factory reset. (Is this linked to my account somehow, or did the settings survive on the device itself?)

So far i'm not seeing any change, positive or negative, with the GPS on this side of rooting.

One of the reasons I purchased this phone was to replace my old and dated standalone GPS unit, so i've been using the GPS abilities of the phone hardcore since I got it.

I'm impressed with the "out of the box" ability of Google maps, navigation, and places working together on the device, and rooting hasn't compromised that software set that I can tell.

I burned up 50% of my battery, to the nearest tenth, as shown in /settings/about phone/battery. This is since my last posting, where I started at full charge.

Up time says 02:32:14 & Awake time says 02:27:30

We really could have had a less cumbersome and more useful battery guage from HTC, i'm pretty disappointed with it's stock implementation.

For the time being, i'm trying to keep the device as close to it's stock + root state as possible, to minimize the amount of variables present in trying to see if it all works right. I can't wait to move on and really streamline the phone for how I want to use it. I'll try to hold off from doing what I want as long as I can to help test out any issues that pop up. But the longer I have the device on this side of Root, the further away from stock i'll get and my test data will become less universal.

I definitely think 4.0.0.9 is the right answer, I know I said before that not having to do a battery pull is far preferable. I really like this device, and it's my first smart phone, so i'd rather not expose it's internals as much as possible.

Also, if anyone sees a way I should be doing something different, or that i'm just doing something the terribly long or unhelpfully redundant way, please point it out to me. '

I'd like to say THANK YOU! to the devs that made this possible. I am extremely impressed with the whole process, it all went through great. The update of CWM right off the bat made it better, and the whole thing runs very well.

Root hasn't caused me any problems, other then the power button issue, but for a beta release of what this is, on a device this new, i'm truly surprised that there isn't more of a mess to clean up.

Your hard work has made my experience with the device much, much better already, and i've barely done anything with my newly granted root access yet. Just knowing that i'm finally in control of something I paid so much money for is comfort enough.

The developers responsible for this rooting process have shown us right here what kind of a level of quality and performance they hold themselves to, and I salute you all.

Thank You! Because it's worth saying again.

... As far as clearing the dalvik cache / cache, it never really hurts but there's probably not much point, either, unless you're altering something or updating a part of the UI/Framework or something where you'd need a fresh cache. It will take longer to boot after clearing the cache and, in my opinion, would most likely end up leaving it the same as before you cleared it... Just my 2 cents, however...

Are you experiencing a problem? The only thing clearing the Dalvik cache would do is fix issues booting (i.e. signature mismatch or such).

Thanks for the replies! Seems you both agree that it wouldn't be necessary, and if someone can come up with a reason why it should be done they'll post it here i'm sure. I just wasn't sure if i'd need to do that to flush out any old settings or anything that would cause problems on this side of rooting.

My experience with Android is rather limited and new, for the most part. My first Android device was a Nook Color, and this phone is my first smart phone.

You can do all this stuff to the Nook without actually overwriting the internal memory, so i've never actually used CWM directly in any flavor before, this is my first brush with it.

I appreciate responding to my query, as I was trying to test out different stuff on the device and didn't have the chance to read up on it. CWM and how to use it properly is the next thing on my required reading list, so I shouldn't have to ask such questions often moving forward.

I just can't get over how smooth the whole thing went down, and want to say Thanks! again - also to the other members of this board who have posted all the instructions and how-to's to get it running.

Last edited:

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
How do I accomplish Step 3?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192383

This is the other thread right here with instructions on how to make this work. Reading through both of them will help you in the install process.

The first post, in the second instruction block it tells you how to install superuser, towards the bottom of the instructions.

That thread has temp root instructions too, which I never did, so I figured i'd post my findings in this thread to leave more space in the other one for troubleshooting any temp root issues in addition to the S-OFF procedures.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192383

This is the other thread right here with instructions on how to make this work. Reading through both of them will help you in the install process.

The first post, in the second instruction block it tells you how to install superuser, towards the bottom of the instructions.

That thread has temp root instructions too, which I never did, so I figured i'd post my findings in this thread to leave more space in the other one for troubleshooting any temp root issues in addition to the S-OFF procedures.

I spoke too soon. I didn't realize that revolutionary basically does the work for you. I got the same error message mentioned in earlier posts when installing the zip, but after a reboot, I'm rooted. I rebooted again and still rooted. Yeah baby! Great work everyone and thank you. Donations on their way.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
I spoke too soon. I didn't realize that revolutionary basically does the work for you. I got the same error message mentioned in earlier posts when installing the zip, but after a reboot, I'm rooted. I rebooted again and still rooted. Yeah baby! Great work everyone and thank you. Donations on their way.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

Glad to hear you got it working, it's mind blowing how easy the dev team made it for us to get this working.

Sorry to pull a quote from another thread, but this was a question I had:

Well, if your keys are messed up then you should Flash the stock ROM and get everything back to normal. Then S-off and perm root again, and give it another go? It's worth It. I hate the Genius button.

Can I flash back to stock, S-ON state, and will that remove CWM?

I just assumed coming into this that it was a one-way trip, and once you flashed you couldn't go back to the way it was.

So the last part of the question is, how far back to a pre-rooted device can you go, once you root it this way?

jdmarko

Jun 5, 2009
Can I flash back to stock, S-ON state, and will that remove CWM?

I just assumed coming into this that it was a one-way trip, and once you flashed you couldn't go back to the way it was.

So the last part of the question is, how far back to a pre-rooted device can you go, once you root it this way?

Most S-Off and root procedures recently have (eventually) also come with a way to revert back to the original/stock state of the phone.

You should be able to flash the original ROM and flash the original recovery... someone will be posting these instructions soon.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Jumped into the task manager (stock app) and hit kill all/refresh. Put me from about 100 MB to about 190 MB out of 575 MB reported total.

Hardware information in /settings/about phone/hardware information still reports 768 MB as ram total, so it looks like what's being reported matches the same readings I was getting before Root. Best as I can tell, the system is reporting everything about itself correctly.

I haven't encountered any force close issues since root, and that includes being in all the settings menus and the stock apps i'm willing to run (+ the few I installed thus far)

My battery is almost completely depleted now, and some of that time was spent sitting here typing on a computer, with the device sitting next to me. I made sure to keep the screen active, and it's been at the maximum brightness the whole time.

Playing with the flashlight app helped to drain it quicker, and I might have enough time to charge it up and run it down again before my window of opportunity to give the device my full attention is over. I don't want to walk away from it without rebuilding my battery stats file over at least one full discharge/recharge cycle.

-In /settings/power/
+Enable Power Efficiency is off - not checked.
+Enable Power Saver is on - checked.
+Turn Power Saver on at: 10%
-In /settings/Power/Power Saver Settings/:
+All on, default settings, except brightness setting is changed to 25%

I just got a 15% power left notification, here's what I got from my battery since clearing battery stats:

Up time = 04:41:40 Awake time = 04:01:15

-In /settings/about phone/battery/battery use/
+Time reads: 4H 34M 12S on Battery
+Display = 83%
+Maps = 10%
+Wi-Fi = 2%
+Cell Standby = 2%
+Android OS = 2%
Bluetooth = 1%

I was also using the flashlight some, screen brightness has been all the way up, and Google maps ate that power in satellite view. Rendering the satellite images ate up more power then it reads the map app actually using.

I imagine it'll end up right around 5 to 5 1/2 hours of battery time with me trying to kill it, and that's about what it was for me before rooting when I tried to run it down. Conservatively using power will get me more time out of the battery - but a higher capacity battery is on my list, and then I can compare it to these stock readings.

Very tentatively thus far, i'll float the idea that Root has had no impact on battery life one way or the other yet. Doesn't seem like anything is running out of control and eating up my battery way too fast, or overworking itself in the background.

I saw before I started this morning that people were having charging issues, which is why I took the approach of trying to document as much of that as possible. My next concern since I dove into that was that the battery would have issues using this root solution, but so far it seems like that is not a concern.

It was always charging correctly, it just wasn't powering on or off correctly I think. So far it seems like battery use itself is fine, and what I got out of it seems to match what I got out of it before I rooted.

I'll be able to say more definitively in a few days after i've had a chance to cycle the battery a few times and use as I did before root, but the situation is looking good so far.

This is great, as once I start getting rid of the stuff it came with that I didn't want I should see a significant improvement in battery life. Battery life is the one area this device stumbles on, so can we reclaim some by removing some of the bloat?

Can the people who have rooted and gotten rid of some of the stock stuff comment on any gains or losses to battery life?

Most S-Off and root procedures recently have (eventually) also come with a way to revert back to the original/stock state of the phone.

You should be able to flash the original ROM and flash the original recovery... someone will be posting these instructions soon.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'd rather not revert to stock, but it's nice to know if the option is there.

mr.e.ferran

Nov 28, 2010
why not? are you sure you have busybox uninstalled? TiBu utilizes busybox to run most of its commands, so you need to have the most up-to-date busybox along with superuser in order to be able to use it.

it works fine removing system apps on my MT4GS.

That fixed it! Thanks! All is well and good in the world now!

boost_dependent

Aug 17, 2011
Pensacola, FL
This may be a dumb noob question, but I don't see anywhere where I'm supposed to get the Beta Key from. I have my serial, but where do I get the beta key? The revolutionary.exe runs and finds my device but it wants the beta key.

Thanks

edit:

NVM, I was right clicking and Save As... instead of just clicking the download link LoL

Last edited:

chrisgto4

Dec 17, 2009
Dallas
Stuck at zerging root..........this might take a minute.
Vista
installed fastboot drivers

Any ideas????

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA Premium App

raduque

Thanks guys, you are more awesome than words. I'll be donating at the end of the month.

Edit: Oh yes, for those of you having problems flashing the Superuser zip, make sure to update ClockworkMod Recovery to 4.0.0.9 - it will flash Superuser correctly first time.

Last edited:

chorpler

Feb 16, 2008
I tried the "fastboot oem writecid 11111111" thing, and it returns a value of 11111111 for my cid variable, but it still says "Network locked, enter network unlock password" when I try it with an AT&T SIM.

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I tried the "fastboot oem writecid 11111111" thing, and it returns a value of 11111111 for my cid variable, but it still says "Network locked, enter network unlock password" when I try it with an AT&T SIM.

Hmm. Well, that was the last shot. I guess that's not enough. I'll talk to IEF about what is needed for a network unlock.

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Also, do not allow your battery to go completely dead or you'll be quite unhappy with your new paperweight (that is, unless you have another way to charge your phone's battery other than the phone itself).

Do you mean only during the process of getting S-Off, or do you mean the phone can never automatically turn off again?

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
Do you mean only during the process of getting S-Off, or do you mean the phone can never automatically turn off again?

Means update from Clockworkmod 4.0.0.8 to 4.0.0.9

There is a charging issue in 4.0.0.8 that prevents the phone from turning on under certain circumstances, but doing a battery pull will fix it. It is unknown whether or not it will turn back on again if you let the battery completely drain.

I haven't personally confirmed this, but in 4.0.0.8 it apparently is still charging.

I can confirm first-hand that 4.0.0.9 allows you to turn the device on by manipulating the power button, without having to do a battery pull, under the same circumstances that prevented the device from powering on using CWM 4.0.0.8

Further, I can also confirm first-hand that CWM 4.0.0.9 will allow the unit to turn back on after draining the battery completely. I ran the battery down to nothing, then plugged it in and turned it on.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND waiting AT LEAST 30 seconds before turning the device back on after plugging in to AC power after draining the battery completely, if you do so. Trying to turn the unit on immediately after plugging in a completely dead battery will have funky results.

There is not enough power in a completely dead battery, even passing through from an AC charge to properly power all the hardware in the phone, you must allow the battery to charge for a minimum of 30 seconds from completely dead to properly power up the device.

Last edited:

eViL D:

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2006
Stuck at zerging root..........this might take a minute.
Vista
installed fastboot drivers

Any ideas????

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA Premium App

Same thing with my wifes now. I tried previously on pre3 and it rebooted it to fastboot then, but it sat there for so long I did a battery pull. Now when I try to run revolutionary, it never reboots to fastboot.

It's possible I may need to reflash all the images again.

mr.e.ferran

Nov 28, 2010
Means update from Clockworkmod 4.0.0.8 to 4.0.0.9

There is a charging issue in 4.0.0.8 that prevents the phone from turning on under certain circumstances, but doing a battery pull will fix it. It is unknown whether or not it will turn back on again if you let the battery completely drain.

I haven't personally confirmed this, but in 4.0.0.8 it apparently is still charging.

I actually just realized that I still have CWM 4.0.0.8 and the last two nights I've let my battery drain completely and I haven't had any charging issues so far. Do I still need to update CWM or am I ok? And if I update do I have to completely re-do the rooting process? Thanks Guys!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone. The moment has arrived!

http://revolutionary.io/

Make sure to follow the instructions here (it has the required fastboot drivers):
    http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

And donate here: http://revolutionary.io/doubleshot

I recommend upgrading to Paul's CWM 4.0.0.9 once you S-OFF in order to avoid potential charging issues later on.
    To Computer:
    -Java SDK 7.
    -Android SDK 12.
    -HTC Sync.
    -HTC USB Drivers. (fastboot drivers)
    -(exit htc sync)

To doubleshot:
    -Backed up phone data
    -Copied all system numbers
    -Format MicroSD Card.
    -Factory system reset on phone.
    -Verified all system numbers.
    -Attach to local wireless network.
    -Attach Gmail Account & set up market.
    -Delete all desktop shortcuts and widgets, remove bottom 3 app shortcuts from dock bar.
    -/settings/power/ uncheck fastboot
    -/settings/applications/development/ check usb debugging
    -/settings/applications/ check unknown sources
    -/settings/display/screen timeout (set 10 minutes)
    -Power down.
    -Power on, plug into computer after fully booted.
    -Run revolutionary-0.4pre3.
    -Install Clockworkmod through revolutionary (4.0.0.8)
    -CWM backup.
    -Boot phone to OS. (Deny HTC crash report)
    -Plug into computer, copy backup from device.
    -Safe remove from computer, reboot to CWM.
    -CWM Backup (2) of first run for OS after patching.
    -Install Superuser (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
    -Reboot to OS. (Deny HTC crash report)
    -Check everything is working, then reboot to CWM.
    -CWM Backup (3) Superuser installed.
    -Boot to OS, download and install busybox & root checker from market. Verified SU & busybox, reboot to CWM.
    -CWM backup (4): S-OFF, CWM 4.0.0.8, SU 2.3.6.3, Busybox 1.18.4 (root checker 3.4)
    -Reboot to OS. (Deny HTC crash report)
    -/settings/applications/development/ un-check usb debugging.
    -/settings/applications/development/ check stay awake.
    -Tested charging through USB to PC: Verified working.
    -Delete SU.zip from Sdcard.
    -Delete all CWM backups except most recent from sdcard. (backup files saved to cd & seperate flash media.)
    -Pair Bluetooth headset with device, headset to be left on for the rest of testing to test auto-pairing.
    -power down, then back up device, unplugged, no fastboot.

-Start reset testing:

(reset tests include connecting to cell, wireless, and pairing a bluetooth device after powering on. BT device auto-pairs on boot.)

-Test power off/on while not plugged in, no fastboot: Verified working.
    -Test power off/on while not plugged in, fastboot: Verified working.
    -Test restart while not plugged in, no fastboot: Verified working.
    -Test restart while not plugged in, fastboot: Verified working.

-Test power off/on while plugged to pc, no fastboot: power off fine, charge light goes out. Power on fail, charge light comes orange and device won't turn on. Un-plugging cable leaves orange charge light on, device still won't power on. Battery pull and charge light goes away, device boots fine.
    -Test power off/on while plugged to pc, fastboot: power off fine. Charge light goes out, then comes back on (1, maybe 2 seconds delay). Device boots fine.
    -Test power off/on while plugged to pc, fastboot: power off fine. Charge light goes out, then comes back on like above. Un-plug cable, charge light goes out. Device boots fine.
    -Test restart while plugged to pc, no fastboot: powers down fine, all lights go out, no charge light until second splash screen blinks (goes black then comes back in an instant). Charge light then comes on, device boots to OS about 2-3 seconds later.
    -Test restart while plugged to pc, fastboot: same as restart with no fastboot. Fastboot not working when selecting restart.

-Re-test power off/on while not plugged in, fastboot: verified working. Fastboot only broken on restart while plugged into pc so far.

-Test power off/on while plugged to outlet, no fastboot: power off fine. Charge light stays lit orange. Device won't turn on. Cable un-plugged, orane charge light still lit. Battery pull and charge light goes away, device boots fine.
    -Test power off/on while plugged to outlet, fastboot: Power down fine. Orange charge light blinks off briefly, less then 1 second. Device boots fine.
    -Test restart while plugged to outlet, no fastboot: power off fine. Charge light goes off. Device powers back up fine, charge light returns when second splash screen flickers.
    -Test restart while plugged to outlet, fastboot: same as restart with no fastboot. Fastboot broken on restart while plugged into outlet.

-Test power off/on while plugged to car adapter, no fastboot: power off fine. Charge light stays lit orange. Device won't turn on. Cable un-plugged, orange charge light still lit. Battery pull and charge light goes away, device boots fine.
    -Test power off/on while plugged to car adapter, fastboot: Charge light blinks off briefly, less then 1 second. Boots fine.
    -Test restart while plugged to car adapter, no fastboot: Power off fine. Charge light goes off. Device powers back up fine, charge light returns when second splash screen flickers.
    -Test restart while plugged to car adapter, fastboot: Identical to restart with no fastboot. Fastboot broken here too.

-Test power off/on while plugged to car adapter + cradle, no fastboot: Power off fine. Lose charge light for about 10 seconds. Comes back, then device won't boot. Charge light stays on after plug pulled, and still won't boot. Battery pull to reset charge light and boot fine.
    -Test power off/on while plugged to car adapter + cradle, fastboot: power off fine. Charge light blinks briefly, power on fine.
    -Test restart while plugged to car adapter + cradle, no fastboot: Power off fine. Charge light goes off. Powers up fine, charge light returns when second splash screen flickers.
    -Test restart while plugged to car adapter + cradle, fastboot: identical to restart with no fastboot. Fastboot broken here as well.

Cables:
    -Stock usb to AC adapter, came with the device.
    -Stock usb charge cable, came with the device.
    -Car adapter: T-Mobile universal MicroUSB car charger (SUPA34214/738516342146 - Bar code numbers on package)
    -Cradle: T-Mobile universal car cradle (SUPA34540/738516345406 - Bar code numbers on package)

Quick summary:
    -Power off then on or reset while not plugged in to anything, fastboot or not, all working as it should.

-Power off then on while plugged in to power, no fastboot: Power down fine. Charge light won't go away, only way to boot is with a battery pull.

-Power off then on while plugged in to power, fastboot: Boots fine, the way it should.

-Restart while plugged in to power, no fastboot: Power off fine, device powers up normally. Charge light returns when second splash screen flickers.

-Restart while plugged in to power, fastboot: Acts like fastboot is not turned on. Boots like it would without fastboot checked.

Test Charging: (actual charging, nothing else)

Outlet- Verified working.
    Computer- Verified working.
    Car Charger- Verified working.
    Car Charger + Cradle- Verified working.

It looks like you can get stuck having to do a battery pull if you leave your charge cable in the device after powering down under the right conditions.

Recommend to make sure that power cable is disconnected before powering off, should have no trouble with it.

Can anyone else confirm any of my findings here?

Still have yet to test gps or other functions, will get to it soon.
    Can someone post step-by-step instructions for the slow and wary?

1. Install Fastboot drivers,
    2. Run Revolutionary,
    3. Flash Superuser zip
    4. profit.

Also, does this hard reset the phone?

No.
    Has anyone noticed that the backup takes a very long time to complete in the CWM recovery that came with revolutionary? I hope that that we will be able to utilize that dual core in recovery soon! :D

Also I had an error when flashing su from the recovery... Error message was "Status(0)" ???

anyone know what that means?
    Has anyone noticed that the backup takes a very long time to complete in the CWM recovery that came with revolutionary? I hope that that we will be able to utilize that dual core in recovery soon! :D

Also I had an error when flashing su from the recovery... Error message was "Status(0)" ???

anyone know what that means?

Its definitely slow, however the file is 400+ MB so it makes sense.