Phone has no service on Band 2 (PCS/WCDMA 1900)

Search This thread

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
Bellevue, WA (Headquarters)
I haven't tried to root this handset yet. This is my #2 handset. The 1st the screen broke so I used my insurance to get another. I work with phones all day long including iPhones, other T-Mobile phones, AT&T and non-GSM phones such as Verizon for example. I deal with carriers such as T-Mobile, Simple Mobile, H20 and non-GSM carriers such as Boost Mobile. So i'm saying that I basically deal with it all. Now the problem i'm having is my own phone. I set to WCDMA only and i'm on the stock ROM of course. The phone will set itself from Band 4 to Band 2 from time to time however, when it sets to Band 2 there is no service until it swaps back to Band 4. I have troubleshooted and called T-Mobile and Samsung to talk to them to find out whats going on. Both of the handsets have done this #1 and #2. The service menu *#0011# shows that it is on Band 2 and it is receiving 2 to 3 bars of service but the availability is LIMITED. The About Phone -> Status menu shows that it is Out Of Service. And the carrier is unknown. The notifications area shows searching... or no service. The type of network is showing Unknown:0. This only happens on Band 2 WCDMA on my phone. On any other phone it works with no issue. I am wondering why my specific phone is not connecting to this band properly. T-Mobile has told me to contact Samsung. Samsung said they can't help me apparently. So what do you think the reason is why I can't connect? If you need screenshots I can take them.

culua

Feb 7, 2011
SD
I have a similar problem with my first note 2. My note 2 gets signals sometime and I cannot get 4g speed. I called up tmobile they where unable to fix the problem. So most likely somthing screw up on your phone and use your insurance to exchange a working one.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
I have a similar problem with my first note 2. My note 2 gets signals sometime and I cannot get 4g speed. I called up tmobile they where unable to fix the problem. So most likely somthing screw up on your phone and use your insurance to exchange a working one.

Its never worked properly on neither of the Note IIs i've had. So 2 devices with the same issue. I believe the issue is wide spread and there are many others with the refarmed band connecting issue. The phone should have come with the options of 1700 and 1900 WCDMA switching or both. Unknown:0 just means theres no option for it so it doesn't know what to show. However, I can't explain why its happening on the Note IIs only.

acideater

Sep 15, 2012
Gilbert
Another person, as well as myself, posted about this problem about a month ago. We both had the same exact issue... 4G works, 3G doesn't at all. Edge works, GPS works... 3G DOES NOT send/recieve any data. It has to be a T-Mobile issue and from the looks of it they are trying to ignore it. Honestly it becomes a huge issue when you're traveling and can't always access WIFI or 4G. It's something I would leave T-Mobile for... so they should consider tackling the problem and fix it.

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
Another person, as well as myself, posted about this problem about a month ago. We both had the same exact issue... 4G works, 3G doesn't at all. Edge works, GPS works... 3G DOES NOT send/recieve any data. It has to be a T-Mobile issue and from the looks of it they are trying to ignore it. Honestly it becomes a huge issue when you're traveling and can't always access WIFI or 4G. It's something I would leave T-Mobile for... so they should consider tackling the problem and fix it.

This could be the same issue i'm having due to being in a limited 4G area its mostly 3G.

However, I can access 3G and 4G on phones that are not T-Mobile like AT&T Androids and iPhones and it works with no problem. I am wondering if this applies to the Galaxy S III and Note I also as I haven't tested that out yet. That's why I pointed it out at Samsung.

I wonder if it will be fixed when LTE Radio gets unlocked.

Developers should take notice that deal with the combo WCDMA 1700/1900 handsets to create a switch to go from WCDMA 1700 or 1900 and to use a combo of 1700 + 1900. So we could have the option to switch to a specific band rather than it jumping from 2 to 4 then back to 2 and 4 again.

Are you rooted?

Are you running a Custom ROM?

Have you flashed a Radio from anything other than a T-Mobile Radio?

Is it even safe to flash a radio other than T-Mobile?

Last edited:

TeamHackura

Aug 26, 2011
OnePlus 8
Similar problem. Network data stopped sometime this afternoon. Tried sim in my sgs2 and worked fine.thinking of going to tmo store.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
Not sure but the issue with band 2 might be LTE related and the nonworking scenarios are possibly just occuring as tmo expands their towers... not sure if im way off or not but I read that tmo is pushing some to 1900 to make room for LTE on their 1700... there for, again just a hunch, band 2 might be somewhat sporadic due to it being reconfiged to accommodate their LTE rollouts

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
I understand what your saying but its a weird occurrence to only not be working on the SGN-II. When I can hold another persons phone in the same spot with 1900 only and it ends up working. Only thing I can come up with is maybe blocking specific devices but I have no clue. Putting people on bands that don't work properly is something T-Mobile shouldn't be doing. If you for example are on that band and an emergency call comes through well you missed it till your back to the other 2 bands that work. I always root my devices however, i'm a lil scared to due to the fact that I might lose my EFS. Even tho I know I can backup my EFS. But then again I could lose it right after root. I don't understand why Samsung put vital info into a folder that could be removed.

Anyways sorry for the rant. I'm glad to know i'm not the only one with the problem.

Last edited:

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
The GNII is one of only like 3 phones that come with the LTE "on/off switch" so thats why Im speculating still, again I really have no clue but having read a few topics (like you wanted to know everthing about tmo efs/modem/imei/etc before modding anything) I feel like the LTE rollout and the band 2 issue going hand in hand

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
The GNII is one of only like 3 phones that come with the LTE "on/off switch" so thats why Im speculating still, again I really have no clue but having read a few topics (like you wanted to know everthing about tmo efs/modem/imei/etc before modding anything) I feel like the LTE rollout and the band 2 issue going hand in hand

I think know whats going on. In your *#0011# Service Menu. When it switches to Band 2 the MCC-MNC change. It shows something like 310 260 when its on T-Mobile but 310 410 when its on AT&T. When on Band 2 for some reason it will swap from 260 on Band 4 to 410 on Band 2 therefore identifying it as an AT&T network. Why is it trying to connect to AT&T? I have no idea.

PhxDroid86

Jan 14, 2013
Phoenix
I think know whats going on. In your *#0011# Service Menu. When it switches to Band 2 the MCC-MNC change. It shows something like 310 260 when its on T-Mobile but 310 410 when its on AT&T. When on Band 2 for some reason it will swap from 260 on Band 4 to 410 on Band 2 therefore identifying it as an AT&T network. Why is it trying to connect to AT&T? I have no idea.

I personally havent experienced any issues with my data/sms (then again if youre not receiving text/mms then how would one know they are experiencing problems in the first place?)

Because I havent had any issues I havent really tried to test my connection enough to know when im band 2 or band 4 or what exact mcc-mnc changes are occuring... for those worried about messing up their phones they need to just make sure they are always flashing a rom built foe their carriers' phone model and also make sure that each flash performed doesnt affect the modem.. (I know the modem part is hard due to roms being based off newer releases but as long as you are following my first suggestion (verify you are flashing the right carriers' phone model download) then there should never be an issue

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
I personally havent experienced any issues with my data/sms (then again if youre not receiving text/mms then how would one know they are experiencing problems in the first place?)

Because I havent had any issues I havent really tried to test my connection enough to know when im band 2 or band 4 or what exact mcc-mnc changes are occuring... for those worried about messing up their phones they need to just make sure they are always flashing a rom built foe their carriers' phone model and also make sure that each flash performed doesnt affect the modem.. (I know the modem part is hard due to roms being based off newer releases but as long as you are following my first suggestion (verify you are flashing the right carriers' phone model download) then there should never be an issue

T-Mobile's response is: The phone is designed to connect to the best network. Once Band 4 on T-Mobile has no signal while on 3G/4G WCDMA it will flop over automatically to Band 2 on AT&T. Due to the 7 year agreement we have with AT&T you should be able to access the network. However, we have lost a bunch of ROAMING AGREEMENTS recently. "Apparently AT&T DID NOT keep their promise of a nationwide agreement". Therefore your city might be on this list. This may be why you can't access AT&T. There is nothing we can do right now. Its a waiting game on when T-Mobile rolls out improved coverage onto 3G/4G 1700 WCDMA and 3G/4G 1900 WCDMA on its own. So in the future it is less likely that you will be put on AT&T. However, it is still possible. Sorry but we DO NOT have any CeI-Fi devices as I would offer you one as we are SOLD OUT. We don't expect any Cei-Fi devices to be in till this Summer.

So this device is supposed to go onto AT&T apparently and its not supposed to show as Roaming which is why Data Roaming Checked/Unchecked doesn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: acideater

Viper Matrix Wireless

Dec 17, 2008
Thank you! Finally a complete answer lol.

Is it possible to make it so band 2 only sticks with T-Mobile?

No and I found how to take screenshots. Wish I had pulled out my S-Pen out sooner.

Service Mode:

When on T-Mobile WCDMA, about to lose signal as MNC 260, lost signal after -113 dBm:

2mq3mu8.png

When T-Mobile WCDMA signal is lost, flopping onto AT&T as MNC 410:

wqyn3p.png

Status Menu:

When on T-Mobile WCDMA, about to lose signal as In Service, UMTS: Mode 3, Carrier as T-Mobile:

346tdo5.png

When on AT&T WCDMA, lost signal and flopped as Out Of Service, Unknown Network Mode 0, Carrier as Unknown:

3531hle.png

Well they sold out of the Cel-Fi once they actually dropped the 2 YR requirement extension and then they got plagued with calls and SOLD OUT. I told her thats not good that means that the network is crap. She laughed and agreed. But look at the good AT&T signal makes me want to sometimes switch but everytime I think of leaving I couldn't.

According to the info I have gotten in my area GSM is approx. 485 meters away and WCDMA is 1,110 meters away in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

HrrrpmeTechy

Jan 8, 2014
LTE Band 2 1900MHz capability

I would like to know if an unlocked Tmobile note 2 has the capability to work on AT&T LTE Band 2 1900 MHz?

I know it works on AT&T GSM-1900 MHz frequency. it will even work on LTE band 17 700MHz frequency.

Preeese hrrp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

T-Mobile's response is: The phone is designed to connect to the best network. Once Band 4 on T-Mobile has no signal while on 3G/4G WCDMA it will flop over automatically to Band 2 on AT&T. Due to the 7 year agreement we have with AT&T you should be able to access the network. However, we have lost a bunch of ROAMING AGREEMENTS recently. "Apparently AT&T DID NOT keep their promise of a nationwide agreement". Therefore your city might be on this list. This may be why you can't access AT&T. There is nothing we can do right now. Its a waiting game on when T-Mobile rolls out improved coverage onto 3G/4G 1700 WCDMA and 3G/4G 1900 WCDMA on its own. So in the future it is less likely that you will be put on AT&T. However, it is still possible. Sorry but we DO NOT have any CeI-Fi devices as I would offer you one as we are SOLD OUT. We don't expect any Cei-Fi devices to be in till this Summer.

So this device is supposed to go onto AT&T apparently and its not supposed to show as Roaming which is why Data Roaming Checked/Unchecked doesn't work.