OnePlus 5T with a broken touchscreen digitizer

Search This thread
I'm approaching this problem for a second time after about one and a half years of just having the phone stashed in a cupboard. I have made a post regarding this in 2018 but there wasn't any way to access the data inside back then. Now that it's been some time i'm again wondering if i can get any use out of this phone.

Basically what happened was that the touchscreen stopped responding out of the blue and never recovered. I gave this off for repairs back then (I didn't purchase hardware warranty for the phone) and in the repairman's infinite wisdom he said there is a faulty "IC" in the display panel that keeps on burning out even when replaced. He apparently did the repair three or four times but the same issue appears a few minutes after booting up.... So in terms of hardware, i know this isn't fixable.. Or atleast that our approach to the whole thing was wrong.

But now i'm wondering if there is any way to get the OTG working so i can connect a mouse and use this as a... I don't know like a tab or something. I can still get a ton of use out of this thing if OTG works. Problem is OTG was on timeout, And given that the phone was on idle for more than 18 months, OTG is now turned off. Which means unless i turn it on from the in device settings, i can't get it to work.

Any way i can get any sort of use out of this phone? I spent too much on this phone to just throw it away haha...

PS: Old thread FYI - https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-5t/help/help-data-oneplus-5t-unresponsive-screen-t3824092

Last edited: