[Q] Fastboot boot recovery.img

Search This thread
B

Beegee7730

Hey all.
So for those of you unaware, you can boot into the recovery without flashing it through the command "fastboot boot recovery.img" as an alternative to "fastboot flash recovery.img". This is of course much more useful for people wishing to root on stock but keep access to OTA updates and such.

Now I've heard that in 4.3 they modified it so that it requires arguments to function (See here) and was wondering if anyone has any details about this working on the Moto G. I can see it being a better alternative to flashing the recovery, safer too.

Thanks!

Reactions: denzel09

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
On 4.3 (or rather the bootloader that accompanies 4.3) you can just boot rather than flash moto g recovery.img (at least I did on my UK retail moto g). No funny parameters needed.

However its not the version of android that matters, its the bootloader itself, which is different for each device.

In this thread below someone has booted a recovery without funny parameters (bootloader on moto g that is used with android 4.4.2)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2561757

Last edited:
B

Beegee7730

Weird, I've tried "fastboot boot recovery.img" with the CWM recovery on my Moto G, and it just reboots without loading the recovery. Am I doing something wrong?

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I
Weird, I've tried "fastboot boot recovery.img" with the CWM recovery on my Moto G, and it just reboots without loading the recovery. Am I doing something wrong?

On 4.4.2 or 4.3.

If using bootloader for 4.4.2 then the recovery.img needs to be packed differently according to the other threads. You need to wait for devs to release a new cwm or twrp. Flashing old cwm or twrp also just makes 4.4.2 phone reboot.

If you are on 4.3 are you also sure you are on 4.3 bootloader, or have you maybe played with flashing 4.4.2 and then downgraded to 4.3 but kept 4.4.2 bootloader.

Last edited:
B

Beegee7730

I

On 4.4.2 or 4.3.

If using bootloader for 4.4.2 then the recovery.img needs to be packed differently according to the other threads. You need to wait for devs to release a new cwm or twrp. Flashing old cwm or twrp also just makes 4.4.2 phone reboot.

If you are on 4.3 are you also sure you are on 4.3 bootloader, or have you maybe played with flashing 4.4.2 and then downgraded to 4.3 but kept 4.4.2 bootloader.

I'm on 4.3, stock UK rom. We don't have the OTA for 4.4.2 here yer.

I've rooted and can flash recovery fine, but if I try to boot the CWM recovery without flashing it just reboots the phone.

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I'm on 4.3, stock UK rom. We don't have the OTA for 4.4.2 here yer.

I've rooted and can flash recovery fine, but if I try to boot the CWM recovery without flashing it just reboots the phone.

Hi,

I am also in UKand have UK retail stock rom unrooted. (NOT tesco rom).

Ive just tried again to boot to CWM and it worked fine (fastboot boot cwm.img). I used the fastboot that comes with the SDK (ie NOT the moto fastboot/mboot).

maybe your bootloader is slightly different version from mine, doubt it but you never know, mine says the following in the bootloader screen.

AP fastboot Flash Mode (S)
40.19 (sha-1b44c96, 2013-10-16 16:47:50)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    B
    Beegee7730
    Hey all.
    So for those of you unaware, you can boot into the recovery without flashing it through the command "fastboot boot recovery.img" as an alternative to "fastboot flash recovery.img". This is of course much more useful for people wishing to root on stock but keep access to OTA updates and such.

Now I've heard that in 4.3 they modified it so that it requires arguments to function (See here) and was wondering if anyone has any details about this working on the Moto G. I can see it being a better alternative to flashing the recovery, safer too.

Thanks!