FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] 100% Original Stock ROM backup before root?

33 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By midnite_, Member on 30th October 2012, 09:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there,

I am new to xda and new to Android hacking.

What I wanna ask is, (I guess it's of most newbies concern as well), can we have a 100% backup of our system (stock ROM)? Obviously, it is important because:
  1. If we perform an official (OTA) update to a new Android version. And we don't like it. It is possible to get back to the old original one which we are used to. (not everybody likes new things, and/or not every new thing is good)
  2. If our phones are having some problems. And we have to give it back to the company for a fix. In most cases they will flash a new ROM for us. If we wanna keep using the old one (explained in #1), we have to keep a copy of it by ourselves.
  3. If we want to try new custom ROMs, we may want to switch it back after trying.
  4. Whenever we do any modifications, it's always better to keep a backup/roll-back point. In case anything goes wrong, we have a safeguard.
  5. For the official warranty issue.
Yup I do see there are some official stock ROMs downloads for some particular phones. But those are not really a backup of our original ROMs. And it's always hard to verify if those downloads are the original official releases. And, if those downloads are 100% stock ROMs, this means some guys out there could make it, so what is the way to do so?

Or, how those mobile phone companies do it in their labs?

I have been doing researches on this topic for a few days. Some posts claim that their methods are "backup stock ROM" or "backup before rooting". But after digging into it, they requires rooting and/or flashing CWM. Here comes a few questions:

Questions
  1. Rooting will in fact changes some files/data of the system. So backup after root is NOT getting the original stock ROM. Is it?
  2. Is there a method to "un-root", so ALL the changes are TOTALLY reverted?
  3. Installing/flashing things like CWM in phone requires rooting, which would make the ROM not original. Is there a way to extract the system backup from a computer externally?

In addition, I have found some related pieces. which could be useful to anyone viewing this post, and might be useful for you to solve this (my) question.

* as I'm a new user, I can't post links directly. Please delete the blank spaces in between.
  1. ht tp://www .modaco .com/topic/351269-backup-original-rom/
    In reply #5, user C3C0 raised a method of backing up the original stock ROM without root. But it seems he is flashing CWM and that method is only for ZTE Skate.
  2. adb backup tool of Android SDK
    At the first sight i came across this approach, I thought it is the official method to do whole system (ROM) backup (WOW - how nice!). But after studying for a few more posts, I think adb backup can only backup app+app_data, and possibly some system settings only. Am I correct? And also, adb backup is only for ICS (Android 4.0), isn't it?
    adb backup usage: ht tp://forum.xda-developers .com/showthread.php?t=1420351
    (But mentioned in the bottom of #1 the poster is having some issues on using adb backup. Perhaps there are some bugs and not reliable(?)

One more question on adb backup: Can it backup just one app+app_data, and restore just one app+app_data, without affecting other things? If yes, we don't need to root and don't need Titanium Backup (which requires root) for backup app+app_data. Isn't it?

** In case I have said anything or any terms wrongly in this thread, please DO correct me, for helping me and helping others.

P.S. i am using LG Optimus 3D.

Thanks a lot, wholeheartedly,
midnite_
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to midnite_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift midnite_ Ad-Free

31st October 2012, 11:10 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
Download CWM recovery img for your device. Start your phone in bootloader mode and connect to PC. Be sure to drivers installed correctly. Type in command line:

fastboot reboot <downloaded img>

Now, the phone will reboot and starting recovery. Make backup, that's all.

Tapatalk 2-vel küldve az én U8655-1-ről
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to r2d2-andras For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift r2d2-andras Ad-Free
11th November 2012, 04:17 PM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Thanks for your reply R2D2. Would you explain a bit more about the steps? When I flash CWM to my phone, will it change the ROM and that is not a stock ROM anymore? Where should I type the "fastboot reboot <downloaded img>" command?

Thanks,
midnite_

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2-andras

Download CWM recovery img for your device. Start your phone in bootloader mode and connect to PC. Be sure to drivers installed correctly. Type in command line:

The Following User Says Thank You to midnite_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift midnite_ Ad-Free
1st January 2013, 04:22 PM |#4  
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2d2-andras

Doesn't this operation require rooting of the phone, or root the phone?
1st January 2013, 06:35 PM |#5  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 3

More
No it doesnt

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using xda app-developers app
1st February 2013, 11:53 AM |#6  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 103

More
Wink no it won't
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite_

Thanks for your reply R2D2. Would you explain a bit more about the steps? When I flash CWM to my phone, will it change the ROM and that is not a stock ROM anymore? Where should I type the "fastboot reboot <downloaded img>" command?

Thanks,
midnite_

If you flash CWM, you will retain your stock rom unless you try to flash custom rom or updating kernel from CWM recovery or from ROM Manager. if you are using samsung android device, you can check your rom in odin mode

Hit thanks if I helped you!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imranabbas22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Imranabbas22 Ad-Free
1st February 2013, 08:30 PM |#7  
Flag Bhagalpur
Thanks Meter: 567

More
Re: [Q] 100% Original Stock ROM backup before root?
Just install CWM....it won't affect your rom....in CWM choose backup in backup and restore option....it will create the backup of your current rom on sd card

Hit thanks on help

Using XDA premium through A5
My themes - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post36747522
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to coolprateek.kumar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coolprateek.kumar Ad-Free
13th February 2013, 02:24 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolprateek.kumar

Just install CWM....it won't affect your rom....in CWM choose backup in backup and restore option....it will create the backup of your current rom on sd card

Hit thanks on help

Using XDA premium through A5
My themes - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post36747522

One issue: my phone is not listed as being supported by ROM Manager. (HW-T18, a Cat B10)

Is there any other way to get a full ROM backup before rooting, etc.?
1st March 2013, 04:11 PM |#9  
Question needs help with the HW-T18 (cat B10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashton

One issue: my phone is not listed as being supported by ROM Manager. (HW-T18, a Cat B10)

Is there any other way to get a full ROM backup before rooting, etc.?

I'm in the same issue here, looking for a way to backup/extract the stock rom of the HW-T18, cat B10 model, for the purpose of flashing it to other B10's since several of the cat b10's we bought here is without danish and a few has the danish system language.

so i want to take the rom from the b10 with danish and flash to the ones without.

if there is a better way of adding a system language to the phone please let me know (apk maybe ? or flashing an update.zip containing the danish lang) but do remember i'm not a dev i just have ORD.
4th June 2013, 11:52 AM |#10  
Flag Reading
Thanks Meter: 1

More
cwm recovery backup flash new flash back delete cwm recovery servis
Hi Guys,
I understand that cwm recovery will not affect my stock rom. Here is an example what could I need:
I have new galaxy chat with ICS, I will install cwm recovery, create backup of stock (slovak) rom improve rom to some 4.1.2 spain rom and if it won't be good or have some hardware problem I will install again my stock rom but what with cwm recovery. Will it work this way?
Return To Stock Recovery

1. Download StockRecovery.zip
2. Place StockRecovery.zip on your SD Card
3. Boot into CWM Recovery
4. Tap on Install
5. Find StockRecovery.zip file on your SD card.
6. Slide to Flash
7. Reboot System & Enjoy Stock Recovery Again!

or not
thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to johnoo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johnoo Ad-Free
4th June 2013, 06:09 PM |#11  
Flag Bhagalpur
Thanks Meter: 567

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoo

Hi Guys,
I understand that cwm recovery will not affect my stock rom. Here is an example what could I need:
I have new galaxy chat with ICS, I will install cwm recovery, create backup of stock (slovak) rom improve rom to some 4.1.2 spain rom and if it won't be good or have some hardware problem I will install again my stock rom but what with cwm recovery. Will it work this way?
Return To Stock Recovery

1. Download StockRecovery.zip
2. Place StockRecovery.zip on your SD Card
3. Boot into CWM Recovery
4. Tap on Install
5. Find StockRecovery.zip file on your SD card.
6. Slide to Flash
7. Reboot System & Enjoy Stock Recovery Again!

or not
thank you

Why would you need stock recovery back anyway?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)